Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturn View Post
I'm not saying I'm going to change any rules in any version of Traveller I play to reflect coolness under fire. That's way too deep for a game. Just something to think about.
Somtimes people forget that the skills in the book aren't the only "official" skills...at least in Classic Traveller. There's a section that guides GMs in making up their own skills. Coolness Under Fire could be made into a skill and used in a similar fashion to the Tactics skill or the Leadership skill. (I'm thinking in CT terms).
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

The Planet Mongoose page has the following information about Traveller Timing and Effect:

"Traveller has been heavily developed over the past month, with a lot of kinks and nuances ironed out. Combat is flowing a lot smoother, with a revised initiative system (that effectively removes Timing, except for detailed skill checks, and redefines Effect), and a new approach to damage. Space combat is following a similar mould (with arguments raging about whether it should be more like Harrington or Star Wars!), while Character Creation is as cool as ever. More detail is also going into the Encounters chapter, with the brief that is should be the sanctuary of lazy GMs! Basically, if you had some major concerns about certain areas of Traveller, you will likely find they have been answered in this phase." (emphasis mine)

Looks like the criticisms of the T/E die has been taken to heart and been redone.

TBeard Wins!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankowner View Post
Looks like the criticisms of the T/E die has been taken to heart and been redone.
Excellent news! If they fix what's wrong with MGT, I'll reverse my opinion on it.

Quote:
TBeard Wins!
Cracks me up.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Able Baker Citizen

That sounds like good news, no?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM

Klaus Citizen

Seems most reasonable to make it optional. I liked it (you know that!), but it makes sense to have the basic game simple and then give folk tools to riff on it, according to taste, since Traveller seems built to act like that.

And back to the bullet wound discussion....

Isn't it true that the vast majority casualties in war are actually caused by bombs and artillery?

Are there any figures just for bullet trauma?

Seems a tricky one. Police data will reflect the neutralising of threats, where the object is not necessarily to kill the subject (or to do as much damage as possible), so possibly skew that figure towards lighter wounds, especially considering the properties of 9mil over .223 NATO.

In war situations extracting just the pure lead based injuries is probably to much to expect.

Maybe figures for gang/criminal gunplay would be the best set to look at?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Echo has disabled reputation

Quote:
The Planet Mongoose page has the following information about Traveller Timing and Effect:

"Traveller has been heavily developed over the past month, with a lot of kinks and nuances ironed out. Combat is flowing a lot smoother, with a revised initiative system (that effectively removes Timing, except for detailed skill checks, and redefines Effect), and a new approach to damage. Space combat is following a similar mould (with arguments raging about whether it should be more like Harrington or Star Wars!), while Character Creation is as cool as ever. More detail is also going into the Encounters chapter, with the brief that is should be the sanctuary of lazy GMs! Basically, if you had some major concerns about certain areas of Traveller, you will likely find they have been answered in this phase." (emphasis mine)

TBeard Wins!
In the manner of a suicide bomber, perhaps!

Anyway, it's not much of a surprise that there is some detailed revisions going on in the game. That is the virtue of a decent, public playtest, even if some of the debating got a little heavy on the way. Personally, I actually liked the time/effect element of the game, as our group has pretty much got used to it and now know how to play it. Nevertheless, if it means that a few more people come on board in support, then all the better. I am glad that some thought has gone into the starships too though, as that was an area of concern for our group.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM

DaddyDragon Citizen

Quote:

This goes a long way toward restoring my faith in the Mongoose's Traveller project. Take that with a grain of salt, as they've all but abandoned nearly every other line they started that I've bought into. That said, they have a somewhat more reliable track record with their licensed properties. So, I'm back in the 'wait and see' mindset as opposed to the 'Jane, get me off this crazy thing!' track.

Quote:
TBeard Wins!
If EDG's diligent and somewhat slightly less vociferous work can get some aspects of the worldgen changed, it seems only fair that TBeard receive a nod of acknowledgement as well.

Now if they can get the whole starship power issue hammered out so that it more closely models Traveller combat as we've known it....

As ever, YMMV.

"Twice."

tc+ tm++(**) tn+ !t4 t5 !tg t20+ ru ge+ 3i+ c++ jt+ au+ ls pi+ ta+ he+ kk- hi+ as+ va++ dr+ ith+ vr ne- so+ zh+ vi- da+

Count of Binary TROJ 3140 Auitawry A56689A-F
Count of the Third Imperium REAV 3220 Khakhan A988AA8-E
Sir Aeksarrgh EMPT 0936 Akiar D58A562-9
Knight of the Iridium Throne CORE 1901 Zaniin B6945AB-B
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Efate
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Frenzie
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Mongo
Medal for Conspicuous Galantry - The Battle of Pixie
TAS Membership: EMPT 0936 Akiar D58A562-9

Challenge Coins:
#150 1SG (First Sergeant S5), Delta Troop (Grav Tank), Sixth Battalion (Jump Troops), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#210 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), First Platoon, Alpha Company (Lift Infantry), Second Battalion (Lift Infantry), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#220 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), Third Platoon, Alpha Company (Lift Infantry), Second Battalion (Lift Infantry), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

#289 Platoon Leader (Lieutenant O2), First Platoon, Delta Troop (Grav Tank), Sixth Battalion (Jump Troops), 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

"Traveller and Errata are like peanut butter & chocolate." - Me
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Able Baker Citizen

I wonder how the fangooses will rationalize this.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM

Echo has disabled reputation

Possibly a lot more maturely than the "grognards" here have done so far!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
But what if "handgun" skill includes the increased ability to remain calm under fire? [snip]

It might include that. (Then, again, it might not. I can see both sides of that argument. Especially in Classic Traveller, where skills are very broad in their scope.)
Quite obviously it doesn't since there are morale rules that do not include the weapon skills at all...

And AHL doesn't figure weapon skill into morale, either.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.