Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Garyius2003 Citizen
Default Concerned

I want all versions of Traveller to be successful. I was saddened by MT(adventures in spreedsheets) and the error ridden unplayable mess that was T4.

I get the feeling from posts here and at Mongoose, and from the open playtest section, that this is not going to be good. Maybe not as bad as T4, but yet another nail in Traveller's coffin.

It seems like so many of the game's underlying assumptions are wrong, and the rules themselves are broken in so many ways, from the economics model to career terms to weapons fighting to starship combat.

I am really wondering if I should even spend the money for the new books---and I was one that ordered all the T4 stuff even though I knew what it was from the net when I did it.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Darium Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Darium

Second the motion. (glances over at six inch stack of T4 manuals)
Yeah I was excited at the prospect of new Traveller stuff. When I started buying T4 stuff I hadn't bought any new RPG's in years. I ended up not running any games but it did put me back on to Traveller for the first time in years. I have since collected lots of stuff including the classic reprints.
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I find the concepts good, but the execution flawed.

I'll probably do my own version...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

I used to have T4. Now I've only got Central Supply Catalog and the main rulebook. I've got significantly more Classic Traveller than that.

On the other hand, I have all of MegaTraveller's rules in print, except COACC.

I'm still considering buying MGT.
Tools Link
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

casquilho Citizen

I just keep reminding myself that I have never played a game I did not tweak or mess around with. I have never played in another person's game where they did not have at least some house rules. So ...

Am I going to expect this version to be perfect? No. Do I wish some things were different? Yes. Will I give it a chance? Yes.

Daniel
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen

Even what I considered the best RPG system for me had a few house rules. I guess for me it comes down to just how many house rules I'm going to have to tack onto MongT to have it be of my liking. Some of the house rules will of course just be personal preferences.

If my house rules doc gets too long, I will end up reverting back to T4 (yes believe it or not, an edited version) or my BBB (the big CT rulebook with stuff I actually want from LBBs added to it) and shoe-horning in things that I actually like from MongT.

I'm hoping it's just a few house rules with MongT. I have my fingers crossed.
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.

Last edited by Sturn; February 12th, 2008 at 10:00 PM..
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

I would not be so quick to dismiss the game based on the lack of changes in the play-test document. It appears that Mongoose is using the play-test to identify areas that need changing and each new version has provided additional rules for testing. Each new version does not appear to be a refined version of the old rules – the public changes to the old rules appear to have been simple and minimal.

This could mean that Mongoose is ignoring all of the input and keeping what they have, or it could mean that the play-test is intended to gather input and not showcase changes. It would also be wrong to judge the game only on the public discussions, which have actually reflected the views of only a very few individuals – they have just often railed (pro and con) the longest and loudest.

I am not involved in the Mongoose Traveller project, so I have no deep insight based on personal knowledge, I can just see that there is currently an abundance of opinions and a dearth of actual knowledge. Mongoose Traveller cannot be accurately judged until AFTER it is released and what they have/have not changed can be seen. If you hated everything about the play-test document, then do not preorder the game, but please take the public criticism with a grain of salt – Mongoose has not actually responded yet so you are hearing only half of the conversation.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

For what little that it might be worth, my personal plan remains unchanged from the ‘great debate’ at the first announcement of a Mongoose Traveller. I hope that Mongoose Traveller is good so that I need to do nothing, but if some particular rule set (like personal combat) worked better in Classic Traveller, then I intend to use the OGL to offer a drop-in alternative to the Mongoose Rules.

The only thing that I absolutely require of the Mongoose Rules is a basic compatibility of the core statistics (Abilities need to fall between 2 and 15 with an average near 8, Skill need to generally fall in the 1-3 range with a high of 4-6, Ship dTons and Credits need to be comparable, etc). Mongoose Traveller appears to meet my needs in this respect.

I am holding my judgement until the final product is released, and I am looking forward to reading the OGL. I am also looking forward to another company (Mongoose) paying good writers and artists to produce more Traveller products.
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

richardtalbotuk Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to richardtalbotuk Send a message via AIM to richardtalbotuk

Well whatever it ends like it's finished so no more tweaks, changes or rewrites:

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 22
Visit Kharum1's Blog
Kharum1 Citizen

I would like to say that I look forward to seeing the deck plans that come with every ship. I hear they hired a really good artist to do them.
http://web.mac.com/kharum/iWeb/K%20S...eller-tag2.jpg

Last edited by Kharum1; March 14th, 2008 at 08:51 PM..