Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Smiling DM Citizen

Sturn - in general I was already heading down this same path for houseruling MGT for myself. I like your bullet summary. One thing I had considered was reversing the timing range:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturn View Post
[*]Timing range is 1-6 with 6 being quicker, as per MGT 3.2.
Instead of having 6 be fast and 1 mean slow, what if this was reversed? Then a 1 means "you accomplished the task in the minimum time" and 6 means "you took a very long time, like 6 times the minimum time).

The positive of this is then someone who is highly skilled or in an enabling situation (positive DM) has a better chance of succeeding in less time. If someone is not skilled, or the overall DM is negative, then they can only succeed if their timing die is high. I also think it becomes more intuitive - no need to consult a table or memorize a result - the die gives you the time factor.

The one downside I see is reconciling it with the initiative system in combat. I'd ponder reversing that too - reversing initiative count so it is a count down, not up. Haven't given this as much thought, so it could be fraught with issues.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Smiling DM Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturn View Post
[*]Optional Cautious / Hasty Rolls: A player may declare a task Cautious or Hasty before rolling. Declaring Cautious means I must use the best of the T/E dice for my Effect die (a.i. I must pick the best of the 2 non-task dice for the Effect dice). I roll 2 for effect and 5 for timing. Since I delcared cautious, I must switch out the scores, making my effect 5 and my timing only 2. Declaring Hasty before the roll is the opposite - I must use the best of the T/E dice for my Timing die. This optional rule results in Hasty tasks skewing towards less time, but worse effect....Cautious tasks skew towards more time, but better effect. Sounds good to me, and it also allows even a chance of a Hasty task to have the best Effect - if two 6's are rolled for T/E.
Instead of switching the dice, how about just a declaration prior to the roll of cautious/haste. Then modify the Timing up or down and have a corresponding bonus or penalty to the Effect. A 1:1 ratio is probably too generous for Cautious. My first thought is a cautious act allows for a +1 DM to the success roll (making it easier) but adds a -2 to timing (still assuming that low timing is bad). Conversely, a hasty action would result in a -1DM to the roll, but a +2 to the final Timing

I like the Cautious ratio, but am not happy with the Hasty, especially since any successful roll with a negative DM has to have a generally higher timing effect. I think a +1/-1 ratio is better for Hasty, but then it isn't consistent with the Cautious, which earns it a fiddly point.

Thoughts?
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM

sablewyvern Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling DM View Post
The one downside I see is reconciling it with the initiative system in combat. I'd ponder reversing that too - reversing initiative count so it is a count down, not up. Haven't given this as much thought, so it could be fraught with issues.
If you invert the Timing die and reverse the initiative system comprehensively (Act on Initiative 1, change every + to a - and every - to a +), then the system is statistically identical.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen

Thanks for all of the input. I think the bullets below describe what I will probably be "play-testing" in my next Traveller campaign. The key adjustments to this latest version are that I went back to just a timing die like I orginally intended (no effect die). After running some numbers, the "limiting effect die by task roll" just didn't work. So, I went back to a simpler effect with it being determined directly by how much over/under 8 the task roll was. I ran some numbers, and they seem ok for me (see tables at the bottom).
  • Roll two task dice (as usual), but also roll a different colored die for timing if needed. I roll a 5, 4 on my white task dice. I roll a 3 on my red timing die. My task roll is 9, with a timing of 3.
  • Timing range is 1-6 with 6 being quicker, as per MGT 3.2. Note that like MGT, during non-combat tasks, you reverse the 1-6 range before multiplying by the timing increment. No change to MGT.
  • Effect is capped at 1-6 as MGT 3.2. A score of 5+ is considered exceptional for a success, but abject for a failure (this is a change to MGT, where failures are abject on a 1 or 2).
  • Effect determned by the task result: Effect is determined by how much under or over 8 the task total was. The Effect is capped at 6. This needs examples. Ex1: I roll task dice for a 9 and apply a +1 DM for a total of 10. I succeed. This is 2 over the target number of 8, so my Effect is 2. Ex 2: I roll 5 on the task dice and apply a +0 DM for a total of 5. I fail, 3 under the target number of 8, so my Effect is 3. A roll of 8 exactly is a 1 for Effect.
That's it. The next two bullets are optional, but greatly add to the system.
  • Optional Cautious / Hasty Rolls: Declaring Cautious before the roll requires the timing die to be swapped with any task die that it is higher then (a.i. pick the best 2 of 3 dice for the task dice). I roll 2, 4, and 5 for timing. Since I delcared cautious, my task roll is a 9, while my timing is reduced to only 2, instead of a 5. Declaring hasty before the roll requires the timing die to be swapped with any task die that it is lower then (a.i. pick the best of the 3 dice to be the timing die). I roll 3, 5, and 2 for timing. Since I declared hasty, my timing die must be the 5 (instead of 2), but my hasty task roll total is 5, instead of 8 for a normal task.
  • Open-Ended: An open-ended system allows for very skilled or very poor task rolls to have a chance, even if it's very slight - If double 6's are rolled, add the timing die to the task total. If double 1's are rolled, subtract the timing die from the task total. Note that double 6's could be ruined by a hasty attempt, while double 1's could be prevented by a cautious attempt (which makes sense to me).
Damage for weapons is unchanged from MGT 3.2, using the 1-6 Effect multiplier. I may have to use the original MGT 3.2 damage tables for weapons, because I think they will be changing in the final release due to an "uncapped" effect.

I have 3 tables below which describe three different options for the Effect range. You could adjust the Effect range to tweak the stats (a little bit) which are more to your liking. For examle, MGT 3.2 has the Effect ranges at 1,2 / 3,4 / 5,6 (for Marginal / Average / Exceptional effects). A significant change occurs with my system if you make the Effect ranges 1 / 2-5 / 6, for example. These tables only express the chances for each type of success Effect:

Code:
1,2 Marginal   3,4 Average   5,6 Exceptional

DM   Marginal   Average   Exceptional
-4      2%       1%       1%
-2      14%      2%       1%
0       33%      6%       3%
+2      44%      19%      8%
+4      33%      30%      28%
+6      17%      25%      58%

This is the standard MGT 3.2 table.  It skews greatly towards marginal 
until you are highly skilled. If you actually like these stats, it may be more 
acceptable if you just rename the titles - something such as "Barely", 
"Good", and "Great" for example might make more sense with these stats.

Code:
1 Marginal   2-4 Average   5,6 Exceptional

-4      2%       1%       1%
-2      14%      2%       1%
0       25%      14%      3%
+2      31%      33%      8%
+4      19%      44%      28%
+6      8%       33%      58%

Why only 1 for Marginal, but 5 or 6 for Exceptional?  Because a result of 8 
also results in a 1, just like a 9 (one over).  One of the problems with the 
first (top) table is that a Marginal 1-2 actually has 3 different die results 
that leads to it, not just 2 as it would seem.  I was trying to see what 
happened if I tried to skew it back to the Exceptional side.

Code:
1 Marginal   2-5 Average   6 Exceptional

-4      2%        1%      <1%
-2      14%       2%      1%
0       25%      16%      1%
+2      31%      39%      3%
+4      19%      56%      17%
+6      8%       50%      42%

The bottom two tables are my favorites. They skew towards marginal results for -DMs, but begin to skew towards Exceptional results as DMs get more positive. Personal preference, but I like that (I just wish they skewed more greatly towards Exceptional for lower positive DMs). There are also many more Average results in these two tables then the standard MGT one, which I think most would prefer.
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.

Last edited by Sturn; February 15th, 2008 at 09:10 PM..