Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 13th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+
Default Armed Packet

I finally had a chance to take High Guard 2e for a spin. I did a conversion of the armed packet, a T5 ship type that fills a missing niche: a 300 ton, J-3 starship. I used a T5 design Rob Eaglestone had posted a few years.

I also finally tried my hand at drawing up some deckplans:

https://greatdungeonnorth.blogspot.c...ed-packet.html

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. It's a pricey ship, but comes with a lot of potential adventure hooks!
Old April 14th, 2019, 05:14 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I'm not keen on forum posts that have essentially zero content but only contain a link to the poster's content somewhere else on the Web. Why not post your design notes, ship stats, and deckplans here on CotI if you'd like to discuss them here?

I agree with you that the Armed Packet hits a sweet spot as an adventuring ship. For designers wanting to allow more cargo capacity, some of those passenger staterooms could be taken out and the layout shuffled around to consolidate the recovered space into a cargo hold with external access for loading/unloading.

Speaking of shuffling the layout, I think most ships designed to carry passengers are also designed to isolate those passengers from the working areas of the ship, especially the Bridge and Engineering. I like to have crew staterooms near that crewmember's working area if possible, for fast response in emergencies.

Nice job on the deckplan artwork and key.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Nice work. I agree that the 300t hull is just about the sweet spot for a PC ship.

Now the criticism

Scouts, at least the iconic Traveller 100t IISS freebee, are jump 2 and always have been.

Passengers should be confined to their own area of the ship, and the crew shouldn't need to EVA to avoid tramping through the passenger area

Cargo capacity it a little on the low side for a 'packet boat', I would get rid of the air/raft, lower the passenger capacity and reduce maneuver to 2g.

For CT compatibility and 3I certification it would need a medic added to the crew.
Old April 14th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
For CT compatibility and 3I certification it would need a medic added to the crew.
With five staterooms and four barrack bunks there is space for both a steward and a medic, in addition to the gunners, if you can persuade them to accept such spartan quarters.

MgT2 does not generally require a separate Medic on such small ships.
Old April 14th, 2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
I'm not keen on forum posts that have essentially zero content but only contain a link to the poster's content somewhere else on the Web. Why not post your design notes, ship stats, and deckplans here on CotI if you'd like to discuss them here?
First, thank you for your comments -- I've gotten great feedback that will inform a revised deck plan. Separating the passengers and crew is definitely at the top of the list.

So why not post all the stuff over here? The simple answer: work. Although it may not look like it, it takes me several hours of tweaking images, css code, table layouts, and so on to get the presentation I want. Although this board can handle tables, and images, and some formatting it's a lot of work to recreate all of that in BBCode, but with only a fraction of the layout control. I'm happy to do that for a single image or table, but for something more complex? That's what links are for.

In my experience, the various message board forums are far better for getting interesting discussions going than blog message sections. And blogs and websites are far better at doing complex layout.
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Nice work. I agree that the 300t hull is just about the sweet spot for a PC ship.

Now the criticism
All welcome -- thanks!

Quote:
Cargo capacity it a little on the low side for a 'packet boat', I would get rid of the air/raft, lower the passenger capacity and reduce maneuver to 2g.
Yeah, I agree that it seems passenger heavy and cargo light. But I am a little stuck on what would be an appropriate target for cargo. After all, the canonical express boat only has cargo of 1 ton, which get carried over to T5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5
A lot of communications information being shipped under special contract for a postal or express service. Governments operate postal services; private companies operate express services.

Mail is always of incidental size (never major or minor sized lots). To be allowed to carry mail, the ship must be armed and the crew must include a gunner. Each mail lot always consists of at least one ton. Each ton of mail is shipped at a premium rate of Cr15,000 (475).
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5
There may be mail or private express (parcel) shipments destined for other worlds. The steward can inquire at the starport about availability.

Each mail shipment is one ton. Payment is a Voucher for Cr15,000 redeemable at any A Starport.

Destination World must be at least Importance-2 less than current world (486).
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Think about what may be mail ordered rather than just electronic mail.

Spare parts for a drive that are needed at a starport so they can complete annual maintainance, an ATV, a herd of groats...

To me a packet boat would carry small but valuable cargos that have been ordered via Interstellar Amazon, it needs the 'legs' to get from the x-boat hub worlds to any world in the immediate vicinity hence jump 3. It may even be the sort of ship that speculative traders use to move goods from world to world to make profits for themselves without having to leave their home world. 20t to 40t cargo would be what I would aim for.
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
To me a packet boat would carry small but valuable cargos that have been ordered via Interstellar Amazon, it needs the 'legs' to get from the x-boat hub worlds to any world in the immediate vicinity hence jump 3. It may even be the sort of ship that speculative traders use to move goods from world to world to make profits for themselves without having to leave their home world. 20t to 40t cargo would be what I would aim for.
I agree with your logic, and 20-40t should be readily doable in a redesign.
Old April 16th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnfellow View Post
I finally had a chance to take High Guard 2e for a spin. I did a conversion of the armed packet, a T5 ship type that fills a missing niche: a 300 ton, J-3 starship. I used a T5 design Rob Eaglestone had posted a few years.

I also finally tried my hand at drawing up some deckplans:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. It's a pricey ship, but comes with a lot of potential adventure hooks!
Looks great.

Shalom,
M.
Old April 16th, 2019, 08:12 PM

With all this helpful feedback, I was able to develop the next iteration of the armed packet:

Still tweaking this design, but thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!