Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiamKerrington Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to LiamKerrington
Default [Your opinion/ advice on] Tablet-PCs (Nexus 7 and others)

Hello everyone,

yesterday one of my friends showed me his "Nexus 7" and let me read into a huge PDF file on his device - a PDF file in letter-format with more then 200 pages, with text, pictures, and sometimes even challenging layout. And I was immediately impressed by the Nexus 7, because scrolling, reading, zooming in and out was very, very good ans smooth on this item.

Now I am kind of "infected" and I consider getting a device like this myself. Bad thing: anything beyond the 300 bucks-threshold is something for dreams. That is why I have analyzed the "requirements" or "characteristics" the device has to have. And on my radar four items keep showing up ever since - and that in this particular order (best to lowest impression so far): Nexus 7, Lenovo IdeaTab A2109, Lenovo IdeaTab A2107, Kindle Fire HD.

The Lenovo IdeaTab A2107 has a similar price to the Nexus 7, but the technical specks are not as good as the ones of the Nexus 7; the Kindle Fire HD is on the last position, because it is kind of a "caponized" system very closely attached to and very dependant on the Amazon system. Still both items are on my list, because a good bargain for the IdeaTab A2107 would make me waste money; also I am already an Amazon-disciple owning a Kindle Paperwhite, and yet this item would be the one of choice if I would not get (much) better bargains with any of the other three mentioned devices ...

What is important for me? Reading PDF-files from different sources with varying qualities, long battery-life, solid UI, no trouble with heat, sturdy chassis, reliability, and as little dependancy on registrations in certain networks as possible. Wireless communication is as unimportant as you can guess. I. Don't. Effing. Care. About this shit. I just want something to read PDF files and check pictures I made with my camera; and if I wish to add stuff to the device, the USB-cable-connection will/ should do as well or as much as possible.

So my question here is: Do you have any experiences with any of the above-mentioned items? Or do you know of comparable items of similar quality or with even better price-performance-ratio?

Thank you.

All the best!
Liam

http://www.madadventurers.com = Mad Adventurers Society

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.