Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old March 11th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++
Default A Wonky Question about Subsidized Traders

Subsidized ships get mail contracts (which are great! they earn 5x normal cargo revenue).

Question: Is revenue from the mail contract also split with the government on the 50% payment of revenue?

This strikes me as kind of strange, since the government is paying the ship Cr25,000... and then immediately taking back half of it.

This question can be looked at two ways:
  1. The "in-fiction" logic of the contract.
  2. What the rules were supposed to be to produce a certain effect.

Number 1 is interesting. Number 2 is the one I care more about.
Old March 11th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post

I guess yes, the subsidizing government (that needs not to be the same one that gives the mail contract) would keep half of the earnings, as for everything else.

About the "in-fiction" logic: the subsidizing government is paying hefy to keep the starlines open, and they still pay for special loads it has to send itself (mail, people as passengers, etc). There's logic in that, as they pay anyway for what they are already paying, they also keep their standard share (and after all, the ship's crew still receives 5X what they will if carrying cargo other than mail, just that the base price is halved).

About what i guess rules intended: the subsized ships are a way for the characters to have a ship with less investment money, at some price:
  • loss of freedom of action (as the ship has to cover a fixed ruoute for a percentage of time)
  • loss of revenue: so that they won't become rich too son (and here is where the specific question enters)
  • being subjet to call (so, allowing the referee to forcé them into a specific adventure)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:21 PM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Yes, the subsidising agency takes half of all revenue.

"The Government" isn't a featureless monolith, it consists of many different agencies and budgets. It might be the planetary Department of Trade that subsidises your ship, but the subsector Post Office that pays for the mail delivery.
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Yes, the subsidising agency takes half of all revenue.

"The Government" isn't a featureless monolith, it consists of many different agencies and budgets. It might be the planetary Department of Trade that subsidises your ship, but the subsector Post Office that pays for the mail delivery.
Absolutely. The in-fiction arguments can be made eighteen ways from Sunday.

I wanted to make sure I had the mechanical intent of the rules down correctly. Running the numbers on my new spreadsheets taught me quickly every credit is going to count... so I thought I'd check with Team-COTI to make sure I was reading it right.
Old February 3rd, 2020, 04:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Kakistocrat Citizen

Quote:
Subsidized ships get mail contracts (which are great! they earn 5x normal cargo revenue).

Question: Is revenue from the mail contract also split with the government on the 50% payment of revenue?

This strikes me as kind of strange, since the government is paying the ship Cr25,000... and then immediately taking back half of it.
Since (at least the 1977 version of Book 2) states that the government is “taking 50% of the gross receipts of the ship while in service”, the answer to your question seems to be “Yes”.

It’s not really that strange — perhaps it reflects a division of accounting areas within the government, e.g. the mail contract pay comes out of the budget of one department, and the 50% of gross receipts contributes to the budget of a different department.

Quote:

Only Marc can answer Number 2.