Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5

Traveller 5 Discussion of the Fifth edition of Traveller, released Spring 2013.

Old December 1st, 2014, 09:41 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Book 1 Characters with Traveller5

This question is for those of you who have run and played with both systems. Here are the underlying axioms:

(AXIOM 1) I have CT players who wish to keep their Book 1 characters as-is.

(AXIOM 2) These particular people are rare and valuable and worth accommodating.

(AXIOM 3) I am a Traveller5 referee.

So I will use Book 1 characters with Traveller5. Off the top of my head, here's how I am thinking of jiggering it:

(A) Crypto-T5. While personal combat is Book 1 (or The Traveller Book, really), the rest of the system is "house ruled" to Traveller5.

(B) Die Modifiers, typically pre-calculated or annotated in Book 1, is easily adapted to Traveller5's task system. This is easy since Classic Traveller's skill levels can be thought of a mapping to die modifiers, rather than die modifers themselves (example: Vacc Suit skill). It's a KERNAL, or a jump table, rather than direct subroutine calls. Now, instead of mapping to CT, they map to T5. Big schmeal.

I have at least one amendment I'm toying with, but of course I have to think about it and test it.

(C) Damage Soak. CT's combat system is tightly integrated with armor DMs. If this death-grip can be relaxed without killing the rules, I would like to enhance the range of armor values by exchanging the Armor DM with damage-soak. BUT, CT is a tuned system, so armor values would have to be engineered carefully, by me. In other words, I would need to assign reasonable, CT-friendly AV for stock armor:

Jack
Mesh
Cloth
Reflec
Ablat
Vacc Suit
Combat Armor
Battle Dress

This removes a detail from Book 1 combat that is interesting - each weapon type is classed with DMs based against every type of armor. These are pre-calculated DMs to write into a set of cells that goes along with the weapon. In a general way, the table shows:

(c1) The difference between Penetration and "blunt" force.
(c2) The value of reflec against lasers.
(c3) The benefit of sheer Power, regardless the source.

That accounts for 80% of the value of the table. Thus I think replacing it with T5 is a live option.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; December 1st, 2014 at 09:46 PM..

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.