Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen
LR-51335C1-000000-50003-0 TL 13. MCr 410.05 500 tons.
500 ton wedge. Manuever-3, Jump-3. Plant 5. 175 tons fuel. Model/3fib. 5 Hardpoints (2 triple beam lasers, 2 triple missile racks, 1 triple pulse laser). 20 staterooms. Ship's Boat, GCarrier. 79 tons cargo. 13 crew, 12 troops. Streamlined. 410.05 MCr.

The Shortsword-class Light Raider is designed to fill the gap between the Type-T patrol cruiser and the Broadsword-class mercenary cruiser.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

jwcarroll60 Citizen
Interesting ship, especially in a small ship universe. It isn't a super ship, fills an identifiable niche, and would be something a gamer group could find useful. It belongs in a TA in the future, for use by all gamers.
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Jame Citizen
The author of that TA can buy it from me for $20.00. I'll even think up some more background for it.

Though it's constructed in High Guard, so it can be used in a big ship universe.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
Jame,

What is the ship used for? Saying it 'fits' between the Type-T and Broadsword confuses me as those ships are two very different animals.

The Type-T is a patroller for law enforcement organizations. It's a customs, traffic control, and paramilitary design. The Type-T is 'SWAT in Space'. In ship-to-ship battles it can barely stand up to canonical corsair and ECM designs. It's good for pushing most PCs' vessels around and little else.

Broadsword is an interstellar battle taxi and not a warship. It delivers a couple of light platoons and a bit of their associated equipment to hotspots and then provides orbital fire support. In ship-to-ship battles, it's weak battery factors give it a rather small punch for it's size. Handled correctly, even a Type-T could spell trouble for a Broadsword.

So, what is your light raider? The name led me to believe it was for commerce raiding and protection, but the lack of armor, small computer, and odd battery selections mean it isn't a warship.

The troops aboard then led me believe something else; i.e. its a 'battle taxi', but the boat is rather small and slow to deliver the troops anywhere 'hot'. Ditto the g-carrier.

The 79 dTons of cargo just threw me for a loop.

It can't fight other warships its size, it can't get troops to the 'hot zone', and it's too big and/or expensive for 'SWAT in Space', so what is it for?

Other than a PCs' dream ship that is!

Have fun,
Bill

P.S. I want one!
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Jame Citizen
Fine, I suppose I could go back and put in a 4-G engine. It's supposed to be a "SWAT in Space" with greater (non-fuel) endurance.

Rats, I forgot to put in the fuel processor!

Old June 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Jame Citizen
It occurs to me that when I go back and do that upgrade (frigate, I'll add a better computer too)is that it'll be an excellent Travellerized IPV-1 Corvette from the computer game Escape Velocity...

Now I gots to make a Kestrel!

Old June 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Jame Citizen
Here's my second go at it:
500 ton needle-wedge. Manuever-4, Jump-3. Plant 5. 175 tons fuel. Model/4fib. 5 hardpoints (2 triple beam lasers, 2 triple missile racks, 1 dual missile and a beam laser turret). 20 staterooms. Ship's boat, GCarrier. 59 tons cargo. 3-ton fuel processor. 13 crew, 12 troops. Agility-3. 15 EP remaining (25 total). Streamlined. 482.70 MCr.

The Shortsword-class patrol vessel is meant as a larger customs vessel or a commerce raider. In either case it is expected to be able to handle at least some cargo confiscation duties, hence the cargo capacity (something the Type-T doesn't have).

Oh, Bill, note that it's equipped with the 6-g Ship's Boat, not the 3-g Slow Boat.

Old June 5th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by Jame:
Here's my second go at it: (snip of nifty design)
Jame,

Do you have a copy of Andrew Moffat-Vallance's excellent High Guard Shipyard program?

Quote:
The Shortsword-class patrol vessel is meant as a larger customs vessel or a commerce raider.
Customs yes, commerce raiding no. It still isn't enough of a warship for that duty.

You don't need troops for commerce raiding, boarding and seizing enemy vessels went out with the American Civil War. Because of the technology involved, not to mention the time it takes to match vectors with and board even a disabled vessel in space (try it in Mayday sometimes and that's only 2D), commerce raiding is going to be similar to the World Wars model; destroy or damage your enemy's merchant shipping with extremely rare vessel seizures.

For commerce raiding, drop the m-drive rating to 3 gees, cut cargo capacity to 10Dtons or so for reloads, take off the troops and their g-carrier, add crew, add low berths, add armor, add a bigger computer, change your weapons mix to one triple b-laser turret (battery factor 4), two triple missile turrets (one battery factor 4), and two fusion gun turrets (one battery factor 5). The missile battery is your merchant buster; you prang a merchie at long range damage it, forcing repairs, then move on to the next. The laser battery is your swing man switching between offense and defense as required. The fusion battery is your AM defense and your close-in punch. (If you don't like fusion guns you can have two more factor 4 b-laser batteries.)

Quote:
In either case it is expected to be able to handle at least some cargo confiscation duties, hence the cargo capacity (something the Type-T doesn't have).
Good idea. Shifting naughty cargos from the smuggler's ship to your own means you needn't leave troops aboard the smuggler's ship where they can become hostages. PCs can be devious.

Quote:
Oh, Bill, note that it's equipped with the 6-g Ship's Boat, not the 3-g Slow Boat.
D'oh! Let's see... You can mount one laser with either missiles or sand filling the rest of the weapons' mount. 13.7dTons of free space too, you may be able to shift the g-carrier and all the troops at once.

I want one!

Have fun,
Bill
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Jame Citizen
I tend to go with a laser and two missiles for the S-B. And my perception of the GCarrier is that it allows the troops to be "spacelifted" inside, if so inclined...

How's about it being used for diversionary raids on lightly-defended areas?

Old June 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by Jame:
How's about it being used for diversionary raids on lightly-defended areas?
Jame,

That's an extremely interesting topic and one that I have prodded people about for years to no avail. With regards to 'lightly defended' areas, instead of 'lightly defended' systems in a subsector what about 'lightly defended' points within a system?

How much of a typical Hi-Pop world's economy is off the mainworld but still in the same system? How much of what Trin or Mora or Regina requires to do what it does is out in a planetoid belt? Orbiting a gas giant? Built on an inner system rockball? How many Ploestis, Schweinfurts, and others are there in a Hi-Pop system?

How closely will they be defended?

GURPS Transhuman Space setting uses a certain rare helium isotope for fusion power; He-3. (This is very 'real world' of the setting, it is pretty much agreed that the type of fusion that uses that isotope is our best bet to develop first.) The isotope is primarily located in two regions in the Sol system; Luna where it is refined from strip-mined regolith and Saturn's atmosphere where it is refined from the gas mix.

THS doesn't have FTL and the setting's maneuver drives are pitifully weak when compared to those in Traveller. This means that the He-3 operations at Saturn are easy to defend, you can see anyone approaching for a long, long, long time.

Now throw jump and m-drives into the equation.

A raider or raiders can jump in 100D from Saturn, thrust in at multiples of gee for long periods, fire lasers with an effective range over a light-second, and deploy all sorts of other nastiness. Defending our He-3 operation just got really, really hairy.

And that's just one operation out of how many? How many other critical and near critical off-world locations will a typical Hi-Pop world have? How closely can they be defended? Can they all even be defended?

And what about those smaller worlds? They'll have critical off-world facilities too and they'll be even less able to defend them.

The Rebellion's final 'Black War' phase answers all of my questions, I believe.

Imagine a flotilla of your Light Raiders arriving off a distant gas giant or section of a planetoid belt. They quickly move against the facilities they find there. The few SDBs already on the spot are ganged up on and mission killed. With those space-based defenders gone, the raiders run riot while keeping an eye out for the inevitable 6gee reaction force. Troops are shuttled about acting as forward obeservers and demolition teams. All sorts of industrial equipment is damaged beyond repair. Big distant targets get missiles, smaller closer ones get lasers. The operation finally ceases when there are either no more targets worth smashing or the defender's reaction force begins to draw near.

And the raiders jump away.

Have fun,
Bill