Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > In My 2300 Universe

In My 2300 Universe Discussion of non-canon ideas for use in your 2300 Universe

Old August 21st, 2016, 05:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
colinfit20 Citizen
Default How a Traveller 2300 serial be handled?

Was wondering if anyone had considered how a Traveller 2300 series could be handled?

Would you rather it be an animated series, an actual play podcast, you tube video of an actual game, a film or a live action series?

What kind of plot would you like to see handled in such a series?

Would you read a comic serial of such a series?

Maybe include some background detail in the back like the stats for crew, the ship or even the locations they visit?

What's your view on this?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Visit ManOfGrey's Blog
ManOfGrey Citizen
Default The First Invasion.

The most successful 2300AD campaign I ever ran was the first invasion of the Kafer at Aurore in 2298. Without trying to sound too self-congratulatory, I did feel this idea lent itself for serialization. You had the same characters, from episode to episode, who were put into this situation, having to fight for survival against an unknown and intractable enemy, while cut off from the rest of humanity. Obviously this is a situation that would not resolve itself for months, perhaps years. Which, in a broad sense, is not unlike the situation in Battlestar Galactica.

The reason I bring this up, is that I feel this is a far more “believable” situation for a group of characters to find themselves, in order to always have an adventure from week to week. They are in a situation they can’t get out of. This is in comparison to a group of “troubleshooters” who one week solve an adventure, and next week go on to tackle another. Followed by another…and another…and another…

In the first example, you have an overall story arc. In the second example, you don’t necessarily.

Plus, we had the additional “hook” of the Kafer, and the persistent questions of how, and why, they acted the way they did, what did they want, and how you might communicate with them to find out.

Which is why, even as we were running through it, years ago, I felt our campaign would have made a good TV series, with one caveat – I’m not sure an audience could miss an episode and keep up with the story arc. As it happened, each scenario built upon the one before it. If you saw the first “episode” about the crew living on a space station, missed the third “episode” about how and why they abandoned the space station, and tuned in to see them living on the planet, you might be taken aback. Like the new Battlestar Galactica, a “what happened last week” intro would be necessary.

Like most, our individual scenarios ran 3-4 hours, which I think would be enough material to squeeze a 50 minute teleplay out of each of them. I have begun to blog about it. Everyone is welcome to read our adventures for themselves, and determine if I need to retain an agent. (Rest assured, I haven’t quit my day job.)
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

colinfit20 Citizen
Default How would a T2300 series be handled?

So how would you start it all off?

Would you use your characters back story as a means of establishing the setting or have them come together as the conflict began?

Maybe use the Star Wars rpg habit of an opening crawl or better yet and introductory beginning having a ship's crew detect the presence of an incoming ship and then work from there?

Who would be the main cast especially if you're using that campaign you mentioned?

The Navy character survives the destruction of their vessel managing to jettison down to the world as it comes under orbital fire?

The Scout is on shore leave and has to evacuate whoever they can to the outskirts where their ship is currently hidden?

The Merchant who just wants to get off world ends up stumbling along until his/her contacts and resources can help?

The Agent whose aware there's more going on and needs to get a message out?

The Mayor's aide who ends up being the de facto leader of the planet after the main city is bombarded from orbit... does she flee off world or establish a means to resist the invaders?

How did you handle this or how did it work out?
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

most of my 2300 games started on a colony. It just happens that the PC's are all at the same colony - for various reasons - and then the Kafer invade.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I got so bored of the kafer war arc - the 2300 setting had so much more to offer.
The mysterious alien artifact in Nyotekundo, the Bayern mission, countering the provolutionists, even the stab at adding Cyberpunk (these days I would twist that into transhumanism and link it with provolutionists and the pentapod).

My favourite T2300 campaign was a cyberpunk crossover that merged the Deathwatch Program adventure with Near Orbit.

So my vote would be for a techno-thriller/deep space exploration type adventure series.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

The PCs happen to be in Franks eating breakfast, cuz Franks has the best breakfast in town.

Then the guy runs in carrying a case. "Help! They're following me!"

Then the gunmen arrive….
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I got so bored of the kafer war arc - the 2300 setting had so much more to offer.
The mysterious alien artifact in Nyotekundo, the Bayern mission, countering the provolutionists, even the stab at adding Cyberpunk (these days I would twist that into transhumanism and link it with provolutionists and the pentapod).
If they had actually DONE anything with any of those throw-away hooks...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
If they had actually DONE anything with any of those throw-away hooks...
If they had developed them they would have had Transhuman Space about a decade before SJGs
One of the intro adventures was a provolutionist plot, and then nothing much more
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Space 2323, the television Ceres.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Visit ManOfGrey's Blog
ManOfGrey Citizen
Default Consider a story arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinfit20 View Post
So how would you start it all off?

Would you use your characters back story as a means of establishing the setting or have them come together as the conflict began?

How did you handle this or how did it work out?
Wow. I appreciate the question, but the answer may turn into an essay. And for that, I apologize in advance. (In fact, this may be only "part one" of that essay…)

First of all, the original question that began this thread was concerned about how to address an ongoing serial. My suggestion about how to write a planned, serialized set of stories, is best handled though a pre-determined story arc. And I felt the invasion of the Kafer at Aurore fit that criterion perfectly. As the “writer,” I knew from the background information given in 2300AD the date the Kafer attacked the planet, that Earth would eventually counter-attack, would eventually drive the Kafer starships from orbit, and strand thousands of Kafer on the planet “behind enemy lines.” All the player characters had to do was hold out long enough for relief forces to drive off the threat they faced, whether the players knew that or not.

Could you plan a story arc for the Bayren supplement, for example? Absolutely! It’s just you would have to do most of the work. GDW didn’t do much of the heavy lifting in Bayren. There are a few story ideas in Bayren, which is about a deep space exploration vessel dedicated to finding its way to the Seven Sisters star grouping, and its adventures in route and once they arrive. But there were only three “adventures,” (I believe,) in the supplement. Could you write more? Certainly.

But what I feel is essential for a story arc, which makes for a compelling series, is you have to be working towards an ending you have already previously determined.

A couple of TV series are excellent examples of a story arc reaching a climax. Both Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar Galactica were both envisioned, at their inception, to end at a climax. Once the heroes defeated the “shadows” in Babylon 5, and once the Battlestar Galactica reached Earth, their stories were essentially over. (Babylon 5’s spin-off sequel only had a dozen episodes, and Battlestar Galactica’s prequel was cancelled after only one season.)

I felt the “first invasion” of Aurore supplied that ultimate ending – humanity would eventually counter-attack, and relieve the colony. I’m not sure Bayren, as written, did. After they reach the Seven Sisters, is that it? Is that the climax of the story arc? To me, that seemed anticlimactic.

The original question was asking advice on how to handle a serialized story. My suggestion is to create a story arc with a clear beginning and ending. I feel this served me well, because I knew, (and the players easily inferred,) there was a goal to work towards, regardless of how long it might take to achieve. And when you eventually reach that conclusion, the payoff is tremendous.