Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > In My 2300 Universe

In My 2300 Universe Discussion of non-canon ideas for use in your 2300 Universe

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Murph Citizen

The Vilani had functional hand laser pistols, better plasma guns, standard gauss weapons, and access to better body armor. Also they had developed "collapsium" armor (See H. Beam Piper for further), which made their ships very tough. Plasma cannon for starships as a short ranged weapon, and better X-ray laser warheads. I was torn between the 2300 stutterwarp, and giving them the traditional traveller "Jump" drive as Mithras stated, but at that time stuck with stutterwarp.

I had started working on the Vilani ruling about 10,000 worlds ranging from high pop/high tech worlds to outposts. Decadent, cosmopolitan, effete, but very deadly to the Terrans if not handled carefully.
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

sayatmenace Citizen

Max_Writer, the "Vilani we all love to hate" that I meant were those described in passing, over the years, as the intensely hierarchical, rule-bound, bureaucratic, smugly inefficient (dare I say Dilbertese?) imperialists running around Known Space in their really sucky but unfairly successful due to head start and numerical superiority starships and tech, exploiting wildly and stupidly, enforcing cultural assimilation -- and faced with any resistance whatsoever, responding with mass nuclear barrages from orbit and general genocidal/democidal Evulz, saddled with a "caste" based society (whatever that meant; fill in the Evulz to taste) that repressed individuality and genius. In other words (and IMO) a slowly-accrued hodgepodge of all the bugbears and hobgoblins of contemporary Anglo-American (i.e., generally right-anarchist/libertarian-to-conservative, technofetishistic, hacker-and/or-hipster-culture-oriented) SF.

Meanwhile, the Zhodani are supposed to be the Evil Empire in canon Traveller lore... such a conflicted game!
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Max_Writer Citizen

I was actually asking if anything resembling the Vilani appeared in any of the 2300 products. I don't remember them doing so ...
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Writer View Post
I was actually asking if anything resembling the Vilani appeared in any of the 2300 products. I don't remember them doing so ...
What's interesting is that at least one distributor solicited T2300 as the early history of the OTU. And all 3 of my FLGS at the time had the same misconception about it. So, while nothing terribly Vilani-esque appeared in T2300 canon, lots of us assumed they were present.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Max_Writer Citizen

Gotcha. I thought the same when it came out. It didn't take much reading to realize it wasn't - stutterwarp is not jump drive.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Writer View Post
Gotcha. I thought the same when it came out. It didn't take much reading to realize it wasn't - stutterwarp is not jump drive.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Stutterwarp is only about J2 speed... and 7.7 LY is 2.36Pc or so (rounded to 3 significant digits)...

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; December 30th, 2011 at 10:52 PM..
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
PFVA63 Citizen
Default Hi

If I'm recalling correctly, it might also be worthwhile to note that with stutterwarp you're still actually more or less in regular space and not an alternate space like jump space. And, when travelling through real space you can go in different directions. Or in other words, while using a stutterwarp you can do stuff like dog-legs around systems, etc as long as the total distance traveled is less than 7.7 light years. That way you can enter a system from the far side etc (if I am understanding correctly).

Regards

Pat
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFVA63 View Post
If I'm recalling correctly, it might also be worthwhile to note that with stutterwarp you're still actually more or less in regular space and not an alternate space like jump space. And, when travelling through real space you can go in different directions. Or in other words, while using a stutterwarp you can do stuff like dog-legs around systems, etc as long as the total distance traveled is less than 7.7 light years. That way you can enter a system from the far side etc (if I am understanding correctly).

Regards

Pat
Yep. But you can also be readily followed... also unlike jump (which per TNE's RegSB can be done, but it's not easily done).

From behind, you just rapidly appear to move away at FTL speed, but possibly without FTL blueshift.

But, anyone seeing you go can follow you... at least if they keep a sufficient tailing distance.

As you appear and then your EM signature appears to retreat back and fade.... separating from you at the point you drop below a pseudovelocity of C. Which is also the same point you "appear" locally for those in front of you.

Which also means it's possible to detect an arriving ship, and scan for it's backtrace, and see where it came in from.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Murph Citizen

One of the things I have been thinking about is just how big is the Ziru Sirka in the 2300 universe? It is harder to get a grasp on it in a 3d universe vs the traveller flat map.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
One of the things I have been thinking about is just how big is the Ziru Sirka in the 2300 universe? It is harder to get a grasp on it in a 3d universe vs the traveller flat map.
For me, I located the Vilani much further Coreward (in the Bernard's subsector of Massillia) giving the Terrans a Sector (Solomani Rim) as a base of operations but as much as the resources of an entire Sector, the Terrans were thinly populating the Sector, as they were limited a J-1.

Outer Veil
HTML Code:
http://spicapublishing.co.uk/index.php/products/
is very close to my vision. This retains the CT history somewhat and how 2300AD can be accommodated. And, as I stated earlier the Vilani knew about the Terrans but used the 2300AD alien races to slow the Terrans down whilst analyze Earth society for weaknesses to take advantage of through a divide and rule stratagem. However, what hampered the Vilani was biological (the Viruses on Earth could wipe them out) and also there was not the exact knowledge of where Earth resided and there should be no point of bringing the might the Pax Vilanica to bear to knock out the wrong planet. Especially, as this minor race seems to have invented Jump Drive on their own accord.

Then there is the politics within highest circles of the First Imperium. Each of the bureaux have a different agenda and each Shadow Emperor is undecided how to deal with the Terrans. And, naturally the larger Vilani population is ignorant of the Terrans.

In the meantime, Terrans keep on plowing onward in all directions.

Scorecard

Vilani have thousands of years experience in space, on countless worlds and staggering amounts of resources including humans and other sophonts at their disposal. They also have the edge on weaponry and no moral qualms about using nuclear weapons. On the downside, because they are so large, it is virtually impossible to make a decision. And, given the Vilani proclivity toward conservatism and groupthink - even once a decision is made takes a long time for it to be implement them. So, they use the 2300AD milieu to fight shadow battles with the Terrans until -1776 when they are finally "discovered" by the Terrans.

Terrans/Earthlings still the new kids on the interstellar scene surrounded by mysterious and some potentially hostile aliens...huge tracts of space are good for resources but at Jump-1 takes a long time for things to be done with those resources. Furthermore, they have a low population compared to the space they occupy (however, I have the Terrans stumbling on the technology of creating crude clones - "Tanks"**). However, Terrans are adaptable and flexible but also internally divided by nation-states (although, that is beginning to recede as local worldism is taking hold plus the crude clones are corporate property not national). The Terrans believe that Vilani they have discovered remains of in the Kafer battlefield are Provulionists.

So, in my setting up the game (which ran for 2yrs), Manifest Destiny has been killed, the people of Earth have swarmed into Kafer space in a bloodlust rage committing xenocide on an unimaginable level to the point of even turning some of the 2300AD aliens against Earth even as they sided with Earth against the Kafers. Advanced Scouts have entered the Bernard's subsector and found a mining colony of humans...who are they? How did they get so far coreward? How do they possess a language that is akin to Ancient Sumerian?

**Yes, I admit that I am stealing from Space Above & Beyond and Bladerunner

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/