Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Default What If...Star Wars

One of my favorite series of Marvel comics in the early 80s/late 70s was the What If... series, as I did not have enough money to buy alot of comics then and this series allowed me to get the backstory (however modified on a wide range of characters).

However, there were licences they could not touch eg. the Star Wars universe. The weekend caught me speculating as I watched the series with my 4yr old son.

1. What if Obi Wan killed Anakin outright in Eps. III?
2. What if the Empire won at Endor?
3. What if Luke accepted his father's offer to defeat the Empire in ESB?
4. What if Darth Maul was not dead (ie. not sliced in two but pushed into the abyss)?
5. What if Luke joined the side of the Imperials in the events before ANH eg. becoming an Imperial pilot?
6. What if the gun was set to kill and they took out Leia?
7. What if Leia decided to cooperate with the Empire as most Senators did?
8. What if Han arrived at Cloud City first?
9. What if the Rebels managed to destroy both Death Stars before ANH?
10. What if Lucas never made Attack of the Clones but instead incorporated parts into Revenge of the Sith...and what would the 3rd movie contain?

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
ShapeShifter Citizen

What if's are entertaining in discussions of real history (e.g. What if Napoleon was seven feet tall and breathed fire, and Wellington a 4'10" cross-dresser?) but pointless with Joseph Campbell Jr.'s (ahem, George Lucas') cobbled-together pseudo-mythology.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

What if the ewoks were seven feet tall and breathed fire, and Darth Vader a cross-dresser...?
Tools Link
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 3
Ran Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
What if the ewoks were seven feet tall and breathed fire, and Darth Vader a cross-dresser...?
It would explain luke.
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Joseph Campbell Jr.'s (ahem, George Lucas') cobbled-together pseudo-mythology.
I don't get this analogy ... who is he?

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I don't get this analogy ... who is he?
big name in myths and how there are common types across cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell

"Joseph John Campbell (March 26, 1904 – October 30, 1987) was an American mythologist, writer and lecturer, best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. His work is vast, covering many aspects of the human experience. His philosophy is often summarized by his phrase: "Follow your bliss."
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Gallery : 1
jfetters Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka47 View Post
One of my favorite series of Marvel comics in the early 80s/late 70s was the What If... series, as I did not have enough money to buy alot of comics then and this series allowed me to get the backstory (however modified on a wide range of characters).

However, there were licences they could not touch eg. the Star Wars universe. The weekend caught me speculating as I watched the series with my 4yr old son.

1. What if Obi Wan killed Anakin outright in Eps. III?
2. What if the Empire won at Endor?
3. What if Luke accepted his father's offer to defeat the Empire in ESB?
4. What if Darth Maul was not dead (ie. not sliced in two but pushed into the abyss)?
5. What if Luke joined the side of the Imperials in the events before ANH eg. becoming an Imperial pilot?
6. What if the gun was set to kill and they took out Leia?
7. What if Leia decided to cooperate with the Empire as most Senators did?
8. What if Han arrived at Cloud City first?
9. What if the Rebels managed to destroy both Death Stars before ANH?
10. What if Lucas never made Attack of the Clones but instead incorporated parts into Revenge of the Sith...and what would the 3rd movie contain?
kafka,

You may be interested in the Dark Horse Star Wars - Infinities line. There are issues that take the movies and go off on similar tangents.

And on the last one, I'd speculate that the third movie would be something similar to the plot of The Force Unleashed.
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM

jfetters Citizen

More specific answers to your questions:

1 - The story would be focused on Palpatine's discovery of their existence and attempted acquisition. In the meantime, he would have found a Jedi to corrupt to become his Sith apprentice.
2 - People would be happy because of the destruction of the Ewoks. Seriously, that would have been the end of the Rebellion as depicted. That was an all or nothing battle for both sides.
3 - The Sith cycle would have continued, with the two killing Palpatine or Palpatine killing Vader and taking Luke as apprentice.
4 - Interesting question. Would Dooku have been recruited at all at this point? Or would they battle it out?
5 - Easier recruitment into the Sith path if he drinks the cool-aid. Otherwise, its an easier path to escape and join the rebels.
6 - Oddly, not much. The only difference is that Luke would have succumbed to the dark side or died in the final battle with Vader, as he had nothing to rally around.
7 - No ep 4. And Luke may never be recruited into the rebellion or trained as a Jedi.
8 - Cloud City would likely be torn apart by Vader's forces.
9 - This would probably lead to a long protracted rebellion with the Empire eventually winning.
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka47 View Post

This would be a better option. Indeed, I would have Anakin become Vader and THEN father Luke and Leia.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM

jfetters Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
This would be a better option. Indeed, I would have Anakin become Vader and THEN father Luke and Leia.

oooooooo...