Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Foxroe Citizen
Lightbulb Size really does matter...

I know a lot of people have a hard time with starship bridges being 20 tons for ships 100dt up to 1000dt, but here's how I justify it:

LBB2/TTB defines the bridge as "basic controls, communications equipment, avionics, scanners, detectors, sensors, and other equipment for proper operation of the ship". I've always interpreted "other equipment for proper operation of the ship" as including any equipment necessary to satisfy the purpose of the ship. Think of it as including the required "specialization" space.

So in other words scout ships need extra sensors, data banks for message traffic, surveying equipment; traders and liners need cargo handling equipment, passenger safety/amenity outfitting; yachts are replete with entertainment systems to sate nobles and their guests; warships need small arms ammo lockers, ready rooms, extra sensors; lab ships need sensitive environmental/stability control equipment to support the lab spaces; safari ships need specialized equipment to detect and support the wildlife that they capture... you get the idea.

I would think that this more than adequately "consumes" a good chunk of that 20 ton requirement, and the extra equipment isn't necessarily dependent on the size of the hull (until perhaps they get much larger).

Thoughts?

-Fox

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.