Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old February 18th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

On Character Progression.

This is another area that it took me a long time to adjust to and I back-slide now and again. I want higher stats, more skills, etc...etc...etc... The whole "limit skills by Int + Edu" isn't there for me and I don't really buy "game balance". The game just isn't balanced.

However, I really like to determine an in game objective then make a plan, execute the plan, and reap the rewards. For example, in a Mongoose game some years back I played a merchant who cut deals. He brokered a deal for short term lease of some ships weapons and then spent his own money on the promotional video of the space battle where those weapons helped him capture a pirate ship. To get money for overhauling the now mildly shot up pirate ship he bought cargo space on another PC's ship and did speculation while keeping a good cash reserve.

The character progression was bigger and better deals and a string of "relationships" with businesses where his word got attention. He had a wide range of skills but nothing overwhelming except Broker. That's what he did.

He later semi-retired and wrote a business text under the pseudonym "Zonervan".

In atpollard's game my character is able to get some reasonable 0 level skills. It has taken me a bit to see the joy in this but I'm liking it. My character is repeatedly in over his head and still making progress by getting smarter people engaged in the solution. The game is an absolute blast for me.
Old February 18th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I've run into this type of thing in the past, with a different game. What I did was set up a simple fight among NPCs (in this case, the PCs were betting on the outcome in a gladiatorial ring, but you can set up all sorts of scenarios--maybe they see a bank heist or something). Then, I let the players play the NPCs.

It was a good way to let the players get a feel for the combat system, and it showed them that the game system was deadly and not what they've been used to in the past.

It doesn't matter if the NPCs win the fight or not. In fact, it's probably better if they lose--to give the players more of a respect for the system.
I love that idea.
Tools Link