Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Twilight:2000 > TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E

TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E Discussion of the Twilight: 2000 from GDW.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kaladorn Citizen
You're right some of the new inserts aren't commonly available, and aren't issue. But they are out there and I have heard it said some of them will stop 7.62 from an MG. <shrug> YMMV.

OTOH, you are of course right that inserts are weighty and not entirely protecting.

Myself, I prefer damage resolution with hit locations to the abstraction. You know where you are hit, it is more 'gritty' and the character can imagine the types of impediment it should impose. And sometimes the armour will save you. Other times, ouch.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

imported_Sgt_Biggles Citizen
Cool

I like hit locations also. I have been toying with adding a sidebar for hit locations but receive really mixed opinions about it. Do you leave Lifeblood alone with each hit which does LB damage lowering it reguardless of location. Or do you have a modifier? A head shot doubles LB damage and arm or a leg cuts LB in half? Is the extra record keeping worth the effort? I dont know. In the original Twilight I like the idea of a leg hit becoming a miss if the legs were behind enough cover.

I have added an aimed shot effects table. If a character takes the time and penialty to "call" a shot, whether to hit a pistol out of a badguys hand or drop a bullet between the fellows eyes, it can be done. In my own play testing it is very popular.

Thoughts?

C
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

imported_Sgt_Biggles Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
...Many offer NIJ level IV inserts, which will stop 7.62 AP. I guess this boils down to your definition of 'allow the wearer to function'.
You’re right. However, the Lvl IV is bulky and heavy, severally restricting upper body motion, even with a small chest plate inserted. My son-in-law has an uncertified Lvl IV plate he wears while acting as front guard for convoys in Iraq. His unit was given several sets for field testing. (Off Subject: This is good and bad. Its good he has it, but in order to be properly field tested he and his team need to get shot.)

In game terms the higher level plating adds to AR but lowers Dex based skills. (See the T20 Traveller armor stats) I have taken a bit of writers prerogative and fudged a few real world facts for added playability. Time and future playtestors will let me know if it works or not.

Craig
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

PBI Citizen
I prefer hit-specific damage over abstract. I think the way T2K handled it was quite good and I'd like to see that remain in the new incarnation. Getting hit in the chest is a lot more serious than getting hit in the leg (at least immediately). Otherwise, we'll be playing Twilight D&D.

As for called shots and the like, there should be a hefty negative mod based on what one is trying to do (much easier to aim for the centre of the mass than the head), similar to the Btech handled targeting computers; if the shot was successful, all damage was applied to the location targetted.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM

kaladorn Citizen
I think called shots at range ought to be hard. If the other guy doesn't know you are there or you are are close in, they get a lot more likely.

If you are hit in someplace particular (and most times, this is the case!), you should sustain appropriate damage. Limb hits that don't hit a major artery are somewhat debilitating, but not immediately life-threatening. If they do enough mechanical damage, they can impair motion or use of apendage. Really, you come down to having real damage include shock, damage to the blood system (ie ruining its integrity and letting you exanguinate) and mechanical damage to the limb or area in question that impedes use.

If you get hit in the head, for instance, effects could include stunning, concusions, impeded vision or hearing, loss of balance, and if the hit is bad enough, skull fractures, brain damage, permanent organ damage to eyes or ears or teeth/mouth/throat, and of course potential for blood loss issues, especially in neck hits.

If you are hit in the body, you can take damage to lungs (making them collapse or fill up, thus making cardio stuff tough), heart (well, that's pretty bad...), stomach (you can usually live with this, but infection comes and it hurts a lot), kidneys, liver (ouch... bleeding, infection... but not usually immediately fatal). Spine hits will paralyze you or partially paralyze you either temporarily or permanently and/or give you the chance to have further excercise on your part make things worse.

Shock can put you down from a small simple wound you weren't expecting or you can shrug it off and keep going through a series of fairly serious wounds. Blood loss can lead you into shock and unconciousness, or if the performations are small enough, your body's internal compensation systems can mitigate and slow the loss and get you to a meta-stable condition, assuming you don't beat yourself up with too much activity.

Detailed wounding is tough to do right... I saw games which said things like:

Head Hit: Take double normal stun type damage, one point five time lethal damage, x% per point of damage of passing out (a save to wake up after dX rounds), x% chance of vision effects, x% chance of hearing effects, etc.

This leads to a bunch of die rolling. But it makes the combat very vivid and leads to characters who aren't necessarily going to die getting a glanding shot off the skull and passing out sometimes. Or staggering around off balance and with really impaired visual abilities. That can be quite a lot of fun to roleplay!
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM

TKalbfus Citizen
So combat tends to get complicated, and character generation becomes a slow and arduous process, since you have armies of these characters, getting replacements for killed or wounded characters is tough. A wounded character is even tougher than dealing with a dead one. Were talking about the aftermath of a nuclear war, I don't know if there are any MASH units you could send wounded characters to. The ability of combat soldiers to take care of their wounded is going to be fairly feeble. Sometimes the best they can do is slow down their dying, and while such characters are dying slowly they slow down or burden the units ability to move around and attack. People carrying the wounded in stretchers can't fire their guns at the enemy if they come under attack. There might be a doctor around, but he's going to have to get his medical supplies from somewhere. France is one possibility, Switzerland is another. Of course there may be hospitals left over, but they would have been heavily used after the initial nuclear attacks. A few years afterwards they would need to be restocked and staffed by skilled medical profesionals if they are to be any good, and getting medical supplies from places that are still civilized to these hospitals is going to be tough work. The good news is that there are alot of pharmaceutical companies based in Switzerland, no doubt there are factories their too and assuming that Switzerland stayed neutral in World War II and was not attacked, they ought to be running a lively export business. The hard part is trucking these supplies through the chaos to the places where they are needed. Sounds like a mission the PCs could undertake, don't you think? The other part is finding something to pay the Swiss in order to buy their stuff. Gold perhaps. I think gold might be worth something like $200 an ounce in the T2000 campaign. Their are alot of ruined banks and vaults which may contain gold, alot of people would be looting them and bring it to the swiss to buy their stuff. The Swiss would tend to accumulate alot of golf and because of the population reduction and the fact that gold isn't much good in and of itself, the value of gold would be reduced. But perhaps the T2000 book says something about this.
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

PBI Citizen
I'm not sure what your point is, Tom. There was nothing terribly complicated about combat in the original rules( all three sets), except for automatic fire, nor was NPC generation a problem, as they merely had a pool of hit points or whetever, with head shots and things of that nature causing damage to be multiplied, IIRC.
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

montanakennedy Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by PBI:
There was nothing terribly complicated about combat in the original rules( all three sets), except for automatic fire
and armor combat in V1.0

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Just wondering if anyone has heard when FFE is going to get its act on the road and release further reprints. I have tried emailing Marc with not so much as a whisper back. If others have access, perhaps, even the Red Phone directly with the General Secretary Marc himself...perhaps, we could avoid WWIII. Although, most on this thread would not really want that. - [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM

PBI Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by montana kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PBI:
There was nothing terribly complicated about combat in the original rules( all three sets), except for automatic fire
and armor combat in V1.0

</font>[/QUOTE]Not possessing 1.0, I'll take your word for it and count myself lucky [img]smile.gif[/img]