Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 9th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Maladominus Citizen
Hello all!

I'm new to the forums and been lurking here for a few days, and had a couple questions. As for myself, I was one of you long ago.... back in the 1980s I remembered the original Traveller, even before it became MegaTraveller. At that time, Traveller had been the 2nd RPG I ever knew, second only to D&D. Our gaming group also tried other games like Gamma World, but we all know what a disappointment Gamma World turned out to be. So with Gamma World never taken seriously, TRAVELLER was essentially THE ONLY decent and viable SciFi rpg during "the early days".

And I do miss those little black booklets!

My problem is that I've always loved Traveller, but I simply could not (even back then) ever find players to play with [img]graemlins/file_28.gif[/img]

So these days, I deem it impossible to do any more rpg gaming via "face to face" or tabletop. I have now purely converted to playing all games via PC gaming or internet MMORPGs.

My problem?

All these current PC and online RPGs are still pure garbage. EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft. Tried 'em all. Played 'em for some years. Entertaining at first. Then you realize that they have shallow storylines, shallow histories, and they are really shallow environments for roleplaying!

I realize that good ole Traveller still had the best fiction, the best game lore, the best game design, and the most extensive "content" out of any RPG I've ever seen.

I've been thinking to myself.... "If I had $10 million dollars to throw away", I'd give it to some developers so they could make a Traveller-based MMORPG! And then we could all enjoy playing once again in a virtual world of the Third Imperium..... wouldn't it be great to be able to choose a Vargr pirate character? Or wouldnt roleplaying be at its finest if you could imagine being a militant K'Kree adventurer with the crusade of exterminating all those filthy carnivores in known space? So many carnivores in the Galaxy to eradicate, so little time! Or imagine a Traveller graphical online rpg where starships like the Azanti High Lightning come to life with you at the helm... where you can pilot such ships much in the same way like in games like EVE or Star Wars Galaxies. Of course, that's just a pipe dream.

And so there is my problem! How do I get my Traveller fix now? Is there any MUD or decent PC simulation of Traveller out in the market today? Are there any in the works?
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
CT had fiction? I never noticed any in the black books...

You tried play by mail? It's more like tabletop roleplaying than MMORPGs are (you might want to try EVE online, it's a space tradey game though that's kinda boring after a while, but the setting is very cool. Possibly better off going to the website and just reading the background).

Or you could pick up GURPS Traveller or T20, you might actually be able to find players for those...
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM

Maladominus Citizen
thanks for the suggestions,

Im not sure if the little black books had fiction, but I sure do remember that JTAS had them all the time. Most of the neat fiction stories were preludes to the adventure/scenarios.

I am considering trying EVE online, actually.... tho I realize it is purely a starship only game. From what I've seen, EVE does the starship-exploration thing rather well. But still, there is no avatar beyond the starship.

And again... time, work and family constraints means that I will not be going back to tabletop even if I could find gamers. About 20 years ago I could do the tabletop thing... that was when I was a young teenager, had no jobs to worry about, had no bills to pay, few responsibilities, and no one nagging me why I played games with miniatures etc. Those days are over.

These days, my "gaming time" means I drive home after 10 hours of work. Tired. I turn on the PC late at night when everyone's asleep.... that's pretty much my gametime right there. Somehow I just wish that I could be playing Traveller on my PC.
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
then play by email may be your best bet...

EVE's OK. It's extremely pretty, but gameplay is a bit dull unfortunately. You pretty much just run agent missions (which are limited in variety and get boring very quickly), the 'loot' dropped by the ships is rarely interesting, and all the cool stuff is in the lawless PvP zones. But then I play EVE as a PvE game rather than a PvP, and it's really more designed for the latter. It's more about longterm goals - corp building, station building, strip mining etc - than shortterm ones.
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen
There is also GRiP

Which has a Free Trial
If your the player it's always free

Come join the GripList and find some games [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tom
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Maladominus Citizen
Oooooh. GriP sounds like a neat idea! thanks

I know that the player client is free.... but can you point me to any more info about the GM software itself? Any screenshots of the GriP software in action? I'd love to know how it works exactly! From the description... it seems kinda like a client-server type of setup, which facilitates gaming between an online GM and the various players.

I take it they would be communicating via some form of real-time "chat room". But I'm interested to know more about what GriP does! For example.... how does it handle the viewing of game maps, ship plans, etc.
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Berg Citizen
Here is a shot of the iGM on the map function screen

Here is the iPC on the interactive character sheet tab

It has an adventure editor, dice roller etc. What makes it better than others out there IMHO is the programmable character sheets. You can design them with all the diceroll, lookup stuff right in to the sheet

Download the software and join the Griplist and ask away. There are some links on my website in my signature

Tom
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Maladominus Citizen
Thank you Berg!! that's exactly what I wanted to know and see.

It does look like a well-designed setup...a nice map component, dice-roller, chat console, character sheets, GM's editing windows, etc. Perfect.

Now I just gotta figure out if this is something that can work for me and my small group of online friends. And yeah I signed up for the Griplist, maybe I can join an existing campaign to get a feel of it. thanks
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Maladominus Citizen
Oops! I have ONE last question about GriP that is not covered in the product description:

does it work over standard TCP/IP?

It says that it works over "local/personal networks".... I'm hoping it's not limited to a LAN. bleh
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Berg Citizen
Nope, It works over da net [img]smile.gif[/img] The last game I played in there was some one in the states, one in australia, and 2 of us in canada on either ends

You can move icons on the map screen and send images and other files via a file transfer feature

David S. runs a beginner pickup game, plus he's a guru on the list

Tom