Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Y'know it'd be interesting to see if you could fit 200 dTons worth of gear into a streamlined hull that was exactly 200 dTons displacement. I'm betting not. Again, it's not relevant to gameplay but pfffff.....
Hard to say. I managed it with a 300ton trader, I think [img]smile.gif[/img] The hard stuff fits and I think I have the soft stuff (fuel, at 22%) about right filling in the streamlined angles.

I seem to recall my (slightly oversized comparing to yours) Beowulf fitting the hard stuff but estimating that the soft stuff (just fuel again, and only 11%) left a lot of "other" space in the streamlined curves. The more slush volume (my "soft" stuff, usually fuel, but also armor, and possibly inaccessible drives as in some of your designs) the easier. So military ships should be quite doable. Much of their volume is gonna be soft (lots of fuel and armor, and the potential of inaccessible drives).

I'm tempted to try to fit stuff into you correct volume hull [img]smile.gif[/img] But I'm not free to commit to that at the moment. Maybe someone else will accept the challenge

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
RandyT0001 Citizen
My flattened sphere streamlined Aba-adakkur class 1000 dton liner is (IIRC) within 1% of actually being 1000 dtons of volume. All of the ships that I create and draw decklans for are tight (within 1-2% of designed volume as opposed to the 'accepted standard' of 10-20%) designs. It's a big 'flying saucer' without 'flair' but then again I'm not well versed in creating 3D models of my ships using 3D software. I have Blender but haven't really tried to apply myself to creating 3D models much since it seems like it will take me a bit of time to learn to draw using it. For a decent 3D modeller and deckplan draftsman I don't think it really would be very hard to do given some effort and time into the project. For the more accomplished 3D modellers here on the boards (such as Andrew, Mickazoid, Crow, etc) it shouldn't be too difficult. The only problem might be the calculus needed to get the volumes of the various sub-parts right (wings, projections, etc).
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
Hi !

I have to agree that especially when using complex shapes is was perhaps a bit difficult to work exact. Now unfortunatally even my 3D design software package is not able to calculate volumes of freeform objects. You perhaps would have to use something more professional to get this (AutoCad or CATIA).
Anyway, by using e.g. CC2 (it let you measure the area or freeform outlines) and a rough-design excel spreadsheet (providing volume safe pre-design) its not a big problem.

Regards,

TE
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Hey don't drag me into this! I was just thinking out loud. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though you will need something like MAX or Maya that'll calculate the volume of an abstract shape before you can even start really.

If anyone wants to give it a go though, I'd be happy to see the results [img]smile.gif[/img]

Crow
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++
Possible? Yes. Easy? Not usually. It gets harder if you actually take ergonomics into account. It gets even harder if you don't have control over the shape or coherence of less than about 85 to 90% of the components. Both of these factors are why the standard Yacht is such a stone cold one to make work: two large percentage subcraft (Ship's Boat and an ATV) that need to work together, AND the quarters of the ship need to not just work, but work luxuriously.

Pin down the assumptions of the challenge, provide a target design with volume list, and give a more specific definition for "streamlined", and see what comes of it. Just don't impose a deadline.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
Crow, You should know what happens upon thinking loud in this forum [img]smile.gif[/img]

As Gypsycomet said, what stats should we use ?
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Hey don't drag me into this! I was just thinking out loud. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Drag you?! You pushed me!

Just trying to spread the fun

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old April 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

su_liam Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by TheEngineer:
Hi !

I have to agree that especially when using complex shapes is was perhaps a bit difficult to work exact. Now unfortunatally even my 3D design software package is not able to calculate volumes of freeform objects. You perhaps would have to use something more professional to get this (AutoCad or CATIA).
Anyway, by using e.g. CC2 (it let you measure the area or freeform outlines) and a rough-design excel spreadsheet (providing volume safe pre-design) its not a big problem.

Regards,

TE
Wings 3D calculates volumes and surface areas. Its still not exact because Wings is based on polygon subdivision, but it should be close enough for gaming or safe pre-design.
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

su_liam Citizen
Well, I guess I need to officially apologise. It looks like I've killed another perfectly good thread. I'm an Albatross.

I'm so very sorry...
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Nonsense Alik, this thread had gone to sleep long before you tried to stir it again with a good link.