Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Note that several forms of Wiki software are available, and if one has some web-space, one can set up a Wiki with required authentification to post, and a copyright notice on every page.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Note that several forms of Wiki software are available, and if one has some web-space, one can set up a Wiki with required authentification to post, and a copyright notice on every page.
Well, I have web-space. Would these be the kinds of wiki that tjoneslo mentioned the added workload of keeping spammers out of? I don't really have time for that - if I did, I'd volunteer to help out here.

Do you know if they have different access settings for reading info, so that I could have GM info not visible to players? That is the main thing that I liked about the Obsidian Portal thing, plus it is already set up, but if we could save the money that would be better.

Edit: I used to be pretty good w web design, back in the mid-90s when a fancy page was one that included some SSIs or perl scripting to build the page on the fly. I haven't kept up at all w web 2.0 tech, and current meds make holding and comprehending anything above moderate complexity very difficult, even painful as it usually triggers an actual headache (not just a figure of speech).

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

New Blog Post, w some info on the Point-Buy system that is one of the options for chargen in this campaign, plus some info on research I've been doing into our campaign setting.

Expect to begin play in about two weeks, if everyone has their characters ready and we have the ship ready. The background setting obviously won't be complete, but we will have enough to start the first adventure!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Like you said, not a big deal until it is. Not crazy about blindly releasing whatever we create for this campaign. We might want to do something with it someday.
And the advertising most free sites impose on your pages.

Quote:
Otherwise I don't know how I'd separate out GM notes that the players should not be seeing. There will be a lot of unknown or partially known areas in this campaign (set during the Long Night), and it would spoil things if the players saw that material too soon.
This is something that most wiki software, mediawiki in particular, is poor at doing. That is, making some things available to everyone but other articles with limited read access. This is not specific to the Traveller Wiki, but to wikis in general.

I know of a way to do this in the Traveller Wiki mediawiki, but I'd like to be convinced this would be of benefit to more than just one group. My general minimum is three.

I might also suggest something like Google docs, which makes it easy to share (or hide) documents of various types. But it's not a wiki, and has it's own limitations.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Strictly my opinion, but KISS (keep it simple son*).
WIKI = too much work for too little gain.

Less time reading/writing walls of text = more time to actually adventure.

Since SpaceBadger is a MOOT member, he may soon get a game forum to moderate over ... then he can create a reference topic and lock it, making it "read only" for game data.**

* that's not the real word, but we have Rule #1

** Secrecy is over rated. In my experience, the real trick with PbP is dealing with player attrition and keeping the game moving forward.
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
WIKI = too much work for too little gain.
Umm, no, it's not.

This game was requested to be at least semi-sandbox, which means at least someone on your team needs to read library data about the systems around you and decide where to go.

If I have to spoonfeed all the data, it will still be ignored by most, plus it is another form of railroading- go here, do this. Not very sandbox.

If I put all the library data on other systems and such in a wiki or something, then at least whoever is interested in planning and figuring things out can read it whenever they feel like.

Even if you guys never use it or add anything to it, it would be a big help to me.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
I know of a way to do this in the Traveller Wiki mediawiki, but I'd like to be convinced this would be of benefit to more than just one group. My general minimum is three.
I don't understand this sentence. Expand, please?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
That sounds about right, and your idea is fine with me. What do other group members think? For eight players that would be $5 each, then I'd kick in the "campaign fee" which I think is $5 or $10. The Obsidian Portal wiki and other features would be a big boost to our campaign, I think.
No thanks. My computer is too old. I'm not paying for something I probably can't use.
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
No thanks. My computer is too old. I'm not paying for something I probably can't use.
OK, I understand not wanting to pay, and that is your right, but your justification makes no sense, so I wonder if we have a failure to communicate. This is not graphics-intensive, it is a wiki, something anything with a web-browser can read. You can read Wikipedia, right?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Strictly my opinion, but KISS (keep it simple son*).
I'm with you. I signed up for a text-based game right here.

Back in the BBS days, we were lucky to get all players to reply twice a week.