Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
saundby Citizen
Default Where do I Find the Retirement Community for Gamers?

My wife and I have started looking in earnest for our "last house." We've been considering a place in Florida called The Villages where my mom & stepdad retired. It's a nice place in many, many ways. But so far I haven't turned up the gamers there. Bunco and Euchre just won't cut it for my golden years, I'm afraid.

I want to be near a big enough community of people to find others that share my interests--gaming being a big one, along with electronics and astronomy. I want to be somewhere that there are others around that make me want to go out and do things so I don't rusticate in front of a display and keyboard. When I've got good social contacts and brain food that's in line with my interests, it's a lot easier for me to keep myself up physically.

Anyone else have any thoughts or info along these lines?
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Sounds like a market waiting for a seller

Might be a pretty small market though. If you find such a community let us know.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

fusor Citizen

Has the time finally arrived when Traveller players start to take over retirement homes?
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Well, I'm hoping things will be easier this side of the Pond - more communities closer together, but I'd guess you might be the trailblazer for now, Saundby. Pick a good spot and maybe everyone will join you.
Alternatively, pick a university town and game with the youngsters...
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Over on the Dragonsfoot D&D/AD&D board there are a couple of guys who are school-teachers... they run school-approved after-school RPG clubs... meeting in the school building after school hours.

Perhaps wherever you settle you could talk to the local youth organizations and community centers about starting an RPG club for the "less-physically-oriented" kids?

Those places are always looking for "mentors" for the kids.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM

BytePro Citizen

Great concept. Retirement in the Far Future. (puns intended)

No help in making the choices - not aware of anyplace that really strives to keep older folks alive by truly addressing their mental interests. However, I will contribute some names to help get the ball rolling: Traveller Home; Imperial Estates; The Vargr Villages; Spinward Residences...
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

fusor Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
Great concept. Retirement in the Far Future. (puns intended)
More like "Retirement in the Very Near Future" for some
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

MarianLH Citizen

If you do find such a place, let me know if they're hiring. I just got my certification as a nurse aide, and that would be a great job.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM

saundby Citizen

Thanks for the replies, all.

I'm still looking for gamers in the Villages (warning, I think the web page plays audio--mine is muted so I'm not sure). I dropped in on "Card and Board Games (Open)" at one of the many rec centers here today. There were four tables of Pinochle, three of Mah-Jhong, and one pair of ladies playing Backgammon while apparently waiting for a spot at another table or another pair to arrive. They were playing for small stakes. Not my cup of tea. I chit-chatted for a while but turned up no interest in anything but the most blandly conventional, and finally--pointedly--what was actually being played in front of me.

The local bookstore (B&N) I stopped at next has a sizable RPG and SF section, but no Traveller at present. The RPG section was 85% TSR with two PFRPG books (Core and APG) plus some White Wolf and a GURPS book. I bought copies of Linux User and Linux Journal and headed out.

Each of the little residential areas here has a name and a bit of character to it. It's still compact enough to get about anywhere by golf cart--I practically circumnavigated the entire place yesterday in less than an hour by golf cart, even with poor navigation. There's still several more areas to be built. Perhaps I should pitch the developers with the idea of a "village" named Spinward Marches?
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM

BytePro Citizen

Ah... but that would likely get distorted into Spinward Marshes