Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Dameon Toth:
Just a question: can you use your lasers if your sandcaster just fired?
A whole debate in itself [img]smile.gif[/img]

My thinking is that over the course of the sand effectiveness you may fire your lasers without penalty (you are shifting around your ablative cloud(s) for clear shots) but it is still effective against incoming laser fire (they can't time their shots to when you pop out). So laser hits against a ship with sand defenses is that ship popping out right into a laser hit, bad timing.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Dameon Toth:
Just a question: can you use your lasers if your sandcaster just fired?
A whole debate in itself [img]smile.gif[/img]

My thinking is that over the course of the sand effectiveness you may fire your lasers without penalty (you are shifting around your ablative cloud(s) for clear shots) but it is still effective against incoming laser fire (they can't time their shots to when you pop out). So laser hits against a ship with sand defenses is that ship popping out right into a laser hit, bad timing.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+
But if my memory isn't failing me, the trader doesn't have enough power to run one laser without shutting down, say, the grav and inertial comp.

I'd go with two sandcasters and a missile in one turret, two missiles and a sandcaster in the other.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM

SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+
But if my memory isn't failing me, the trader doesn't have enough power to run one laser without shutting down, say, the grav and inertial comp.

I'd go with two sandcasters and a missile in one turret, two missiles and a sandcaster in the other.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Two lasers if you figure the minimum powerplant needed for Jump 1 by Book 5 design. Book 2 design has no such requirement on starships, so one might assume an oversized powerplant.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Two lasers if you figure the minimum powerplant needed for Jump 1 by Book 5 design. Book 2 design has no such requirement on starships, so one might assume an oversized powerplant.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Globe Generator:
What's your favorite suite of weapons for the workhorse of the merchant fleet?
I'd say it depends on several factors.

If you've only got one good Gunner, put as many lasers as you can afford in one triple turret and run Gunner Interact to maximize your investment. Fill the other turret with sand and missiles.

If your Gunner is some sort of legendary crack shot, go with pulse lasers; they're more difficult to score a hit with, but they hit harder when they do connect.

If you can't rely on your crew's Gunnery skills, load up on missile launchers instead, and be prepared to eat the munitions cost.

If sand DMs are stackable IYTU, forego lasers entirely, mount a sandcaster in each turret, and fill the other four slots with missiles. Hire loaders, or press your Medic into service. Then coast and dump ordinace overboard until your opponent leaves or pulverizes you.

In general, "the mix" (one of each laser, missile, sand) is probably the best all-around, all-things-being-equal fit, and the one most favored by NPCs IMTU...

Customizing the weapons (and software) fit on their ship can be a very engaging (and expensive) PC hobby...
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Globe Generator:
What's your favorite suite of weapons for the workhorse of the merchant fleet?
I'd say it depends on several factors.

If you've only got one good Gunner, put as many lasers as you can afford in one triple turret and run Gunner Interact to maximize your investment. Fill the other turret with sand and missiles.

If your Gunner is some sort of legendary crack shot, go with pulse lasers; they're more difficult to score a hit with, but they hit harder when they do connect.

If you can't rely on your crew's Gunnery skills, load up on missile launchers instead, and be prepared to eat the munitions cost.

If sand DMs are stackable IYTU, forego lasers entirely, mount a sandcaster in each turret, and fill the other four slots with missiles. Hire loaders, or press your Medic into service. Then coast and dump ordinace overboard until your opponent leaves or pulverizes you.

In general, "the mix" (one of each laser, missile, sand) is probably the best all-around, all-things-being-equal fit, and the one most favored by NPCs IMTU...

Customizing the weapons (and software) fit on their ship can be a very engaging (and expensive) PC hobby...
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM

Gallery : 0
parmasson Citizen
#1 Two beam one sand

Don't bother with a second.

Plus I play that if a turret with HE missiles in it gets hit roll +8 or KA-BOOM they go off.

Hey I didn't see this when I posted mine! Must be that kind of day!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM

Gallery : 0
parmasson Citizen
#1 Two beam one sand

Don't bother with a second.

Plus I play that if a turret with HE missiles in it gets hit roll +8 or KA-BOOM they go off.

Hey I didn't see this when I posted mine! Must be that kind of day!