Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old October 7th, 2020, 01:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen
Lightbulb Good Distro for non-techies

I have tested this OS out on a non-tech Apple OS user and a Windows user. No problems and they have been able to use smoothly. https://zorinos.com/download/
Old October 8th, 2020, 01:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Will it run my SKYRIM with 750+ mods installed for it?
Old October 8th, 2020, 12:08 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Will it run my SKYRIM with 750+ mods installed for it?
Who knows? Can whatever the program you are talking about run on Ubuntu? Have you read the OS requirements for that s/w????
Old October 9th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Frankly, I'd not dump a fringe OS on a non-tech user. Heck, I wouldn't dump one on a techy user. A hobbyist, sure, but not a user, where this stuff is a means to an end.

Ubuntu has a vast swath of support on the internet, it's straightforward to type "<problem> ubuntu" in a browser and get a detailed answer, vs the sea of "linux" answers.

I've been a computer programmer pushing 40 years, it's my passion, my drive.

But I hate "computers". I hate messing with them, configuring them, deciphering blobs of arcane data, pressing the "print" button over and over in rage. All of it.

The "computer experience" is, still, very frustrating.

Phones are closest to doing an almost passable job.

Everything else is a borderline nightmare, Macs are better than most. (And I'm writing this on a Mac that likes to lag and freeze on a whim, which is annoying me to no end -- I may have to reinstall, I'm not sure. Did I mention I hate computers?)

If it weren't for the web, I'd be driven more and more back to a 90's era computing experience.
Old October 9th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Similar to Whatung, been coding since 86 through several operating systems and languages. While not quite a passion anymore after all this time (I hate web development and that is everything now) I still enjoy it.

But from the header, a good distro for a newbie, pretty much implies a hobbyist. Those that just want things to work and to play their games, pick the platform that has the software they want running. Those people rarely will know what a distro is (short for distribution, a variation on an operating system for a computer. At least pretty sure - certain that I'll be corrected if wrong such is the nature of the internet)

But yeah, my days of messing with alternative OS are way gone. Stick with the Mac / linux for work, and Windows / sometimes Ubuntu for personal. Though I could use the Windows/Ubuntu sub-system for work but as we've established Mac for Rails development all the scripts assume that version. Though I did get it mostly working under Ubuntu, and we honestly should be as that is what OS the site lives on. But as always, I digress...

And, having said all that, for those that do want to play with various distributions, more power to you. Just don't try it on a machine you actually need to use in case something goes wrong. unless you use a VM system to be safe you may render your machine useless.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old October 9th, 2020, 03:27 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Those people rarely will know what a distro is (short for distribution, a variation on an operating system for a computer. At least pretty sure - certain that I'll be corrected if wrong such is the nature of the internet)
Correct. This post isn't aimed at them but a family member or friend who might want to intro someone to something different than Mac or Win PC without hand holding except for install.
Old October 9th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Frankly, I'd not dump a fringe OS on a non-tech user.
LMAO! Not fringe at all. https://www.google.com/search?channe...orin+os+reciew

Last edited by Proneutron; October 9th, 2020 at 10:14 PM..
Old October 10th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
But I hate "computers". I hate messing with them, configuring them, deciphering blobs of arcane data, pressing the "print" button over and over in rage. All of it.

I been programming computers since 1976. I've never hated them. They're still a fun hobby for me all these years. A lot of Traveller code written for sure.
Old October 10th, 2020, 11:09 AM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
. . .

Phones are closest to doing an almost passable job.

Everything else is a borderline nightmare, Macs are better than most. (And I'm writing this on a Mac that likes to lag and freeze on a whim, which is annoying me to no end -- I may have to reinstall, I'm not sure. Did I mention I hate computers?)

If it weren't for the web, I'd be driven more and more back to a 90's era computing experience.
My experience is often that low tech is better than no tech--and often more pleasant than high tech.

A confrere (of blessed memory) used to say that he was able to do less with each generation of word processors--things like Word in the '80s were around long enough, and with few enough bells and whistles, that you could learn the possibilities pretty well. Then, as upgrades came faster and faster, and possible tools multiplied, you had more and more to learn in less and less time, and just when you were getting back to where you used to be, it all started over. And he was an periodical editor, so he didn't have the luxury of not upgrading.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old October 10th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
LMAO! Not fringe at all.
Is it Android, Apple, or Windows? Can it run MS Office natively with support? Then it's fringe.