Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old July 10th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+
Default Who is the Trav Wiki Audience in 2017?

Who is the Trav Wiki Audience in 2017?

I see the following audiences:

Net Consumers (Readers)
  • Fans
  • Players
  • Referees

Net Producers (Developers)
  • Authors
  • Marc W. Miller & FFE
  • Mongoose Product Writers & Developers
  • Novel writers
  • Periodical writers
  • Illustrators
  • Artists
  • Painters

Pedants
  • Contest producers
  • Planet Grab world writers
  • Traveller researchers

----
Net consumers and net producers each use the wiki in different, but sometimes compatible ways.

Entries should ideally be configured to serve both audiences.

*** Who do you envision is our audience? ***
- Maksim-Smelchak

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Forum:W...nce_in_2017%3F
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:36 PM

How old are Traveller fans? (2017)

We have another big consideration: the ages of our audience...

We have two primary groups:
  • Younger folk: (Ages: 12 to 40)
    [minority audience, folks being exposed to Traveller, primarily through Mongoose, AKA "New Trav Audience"]
  • Older folk: (Ages: 41 to 90)
    [majority audience, the folks who grew up with Traveller, AKA "Trav Grognards & Veterans"]

----
*** What are the various considerations for the different ages of the audience for this wiki? ***
- Maksim-Smelchak
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

do you intend any distinction between formal and informal "producers"?
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
Do you intend any distinction between formal and informal "producers"?
*** What do you think? Everything is open, FK. Nothing is set in stone. ***

I would be most grateful to hear your thoughts on the issue.

Shalom,
M.

Last edited by maksimsmelchak; July 14th, 2017 at 01:12 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:45 AM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

Being 42 and not really a grognard (rediscovering Traveller around 2007), I would suggest the following...

On Pedants
"A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning."

Really? Lose that group heading. Why is there even a third category since every sub listed under "Pedant" seems to be covered by the first two groups? Perspective is the only outlier.

Tact, man. Pretty sure that "pedant" is pejorative and subjective.

===
On a more constructive note, it definitely needs a better division between canon and non-canon material. All non-canon material should be listed at the bottom and way outside canon material. (That includes fleet listings/rosters unless canonical).

The citation system should be upgraded to include in-line citations (footnote identifiers). More obvious demarcation/direction on milieu differences (better headlines/captions).

As for audiences, no offense but even though Traveller Map and Miller have gone T5-compatible, the wiki should definitely delineate that information as T5 milieu. I have no idea what changes are being made to astrographic/UWP information (in T5) but that means no one else does either except someone who actually did the coding/generation. It would suck to be a Traveller newbie with Mongoose or whatever and not see the right data in the wiki easily. Such as data from their new Mongoose sourcebook or something. It might also drive them away.

==TNS SECTION
Last point, I spent a considerable amount of time putting together all the TNS information on a sector once. From 900-1130 as it was for a Hard Times idea. It occurred to me that it would be really cool to have a TNS section on sector/subsector/planet pages. A timeline of canonical (and well-labelled non-canonical) events that would aid someone in getting a feel for the location.
Old July 25th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Sstefan Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
==TNS SECTION
.... It occurred to me that it would be really cool to have a TNS section on sector/subsector/planet pages. A timeline of canonical (and well-labelled non-canonical) events that would aid someone in getting a feel for the location.
Sounds like a great idea, I'll look into it once I get back to updating the Empty Quarter....
Travellers' Aide Society Member - Bearer - Ercan (Core 2316)

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old July 25th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 171
The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to The Pakkrat
Post Timelines for Coreward Sectors

On most of the worlds I develop in Knoellighz Sector, I try to include a timeline style of Eras, e.g. Classic, Rebellion, Hard Times, Collapse and Virus Era, and The New Era and the given world's reactions and adaptations. It's not TNS, especially since Knoellighz is out in the Vargr Extents and along the border of the Zhodani Consulate, but it's something for a Referee to latch onto, right?

Have a look at one example, both the Page and the Discussion at Dongoukaeg.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Dongoukaeg_(world)
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Roethoeegaeaegz (Knoellighz 1726)
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
Being 42 and not really a grognard (rediscovering Traveller around 2007), I would suggest the following...

On Pedants
"A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning."

Really? Lose that group heading. Why is there even a third category since every sub listed under "Pedant" seems to be covered by the first two groups? Perspective is the only outlier.

Tact, man. Pretty sure that "pedant" is pejorative and subjective.

===
On a more constructive note, it definitely needs a better division between canon and non-canon material. All non-canon material should be listed at the bottom and way outside canon material. (That includes fleet listings/rosters unless canonical).

The citation system should be upgraded to include in-line citations (footnote identifiers). More obvious demarcation/direction on milieu differences (better headlines/captions).

As for audiences, no offense but even though Traveller Map and Miller have gone T5-compatible, the wiki should definitely delineate that information as T5 milieu. I have no idea what changes are being made to astrographic/UWP information (in T5) but that means no one else does either except someone who actually did the coding/generation. It would suck to be a Traveller newbie with Mongoose or whatever and not see the right data in the wiki easily. Such as data from their new Mongoose sourcebook or something. It might also drive them away.

==TNS SECTION
Last point, I spent a considerable amount of time putting together all the TNS information on a sector once. From 900-1130 as it was for a Hard Times idea. It occurred to me that it would be really cool to have a TNS section on sector/subsector/planet pages. A timeline of canonical (and well-labelled non-canonical) events that would aid someone in getting a feel for the location.
Thank you for your feedback.

The pedant language comes from another wiki contributor. I can discuss it with him and see how he feels about it.

I love your suggestions about canon / non-canon lines as well as other expansion ideas and would welcome concrete ideas or even help making it happen.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstefan View Post
Sounds like a great idea, I'll look into it once I get back to updating the Empty Quarter....
Sstefan,

Your work is amazing and greatly enhances the wiki. Thank you very much.

Can't wait until you have some available bandwidth and get back to the wiki. PM me sometime s o we can talk. I want to cooperate and make your goal of completing the empty Quarter happen. I'll help input data or otherwise make it happen.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pakkrat View Post
On most of the worlds I develop in Knoellighz Sector, I try to include a timeline style of Eras, e.g. Classic, Rebellion, Hard Times, Collapse and Virus Era, and The New Era and the given world's reactions and adaptations. It's not TNS, especially since Knoellighz is out in the Vargr Extents and along the border of the Zhodani Consulate, but it's something for a Referee to latch onto, right?

Have a look at one example, both the Page and the Discussion at Dongoukaeg.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Dongoukaeg_(world)
Pakkrat,

Thank you for all of your amazing writing and work at the wiki. Many of your articles are huge fan favorites and among the pages with the highest number of hits.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.