Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old September 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
gloriousbattle

Gallery :
Default Minis with your Traveller gaming?

For me, roleplaying games and wargames are an excuse to play with toy soldiers as a grown-up.

Period.

It came as a great shock to me when I found out that there were weird, deviant lifeforms out there that engaged in some perverse activity called "pencil and paper gaming." What a disgusting thought.

Anyway, perhaps you are one fo the true, righteous, mom-God-and-apple-pie gamers like I am, who know that the true path of rpgs is the way ofthe miniature figure, or perhaps you are one of these vile deviants. Either way, let us know.

Seriously, though, even without their aesthetic value, I never really could understand how you could effectively do roleplaying without minis. I have certainly had friends who did not have minis collections, but, when they ran a game, even they broke out a chess set and set up the pieces on the board to show relative position. You don't really need minis when doing "pure roleplaying" (negotiating to buy a starship, talking to the bartender, etc.) but for any type of combat, it seems like it just wouldn't work.

Traveller, of course, includes a linear combat system in the core rules (at least CT does, not sure about Mongoose), but neither in my games nor anyone else's have I ever played that way. It is way too limiting for any type of tactical combat, such as running through the corridors of a starship, or doing a firefight with the guards in a warehouse.

But, I am sure that some of you do not play that way. Please enlighten me.

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.