Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old October 10th, 2020, 05:12 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Default Fusion+ may be on the cards

Lattice confinement fusion - some interesting research from NASA.

https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/space/scie...0metal%20solid.
Old October 10th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Lattice confinement fusion - some interesting research from NASA.

https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/space/scie...0metal%20solid.
I'm still waiting for the promised Skunk works portable fusion P.P. The prototype was promised to be unveiled over a year ago...
Old October 10th, 2020, 01:16 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

these things are always 10 years out from commercial development. Usually for several decades they are 10 years out...

Still want my flying car. Especially if it can be powered by Mr. Fusion.

But nice find - always cool to see what is happening. Somewhere recently I was reading about a fusion power plant that should actually be working well before the 10 year mark. But sadly cannot recall now where I read it.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

vegas Citizen

@coliver, SPARC was just in the NYTimes (and probably other news outlets) at the end of September with the headline "Fusion Reactor 'Very Likely to Work""

Sort of ridiculous science by press release.
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:11 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post

Still want my flying car. Especially if it can be powered by Mr. Fusion.
Well, Moller was going to deliver the flying car around 1995. He is now bankrupt and only has a redesigned Wankel engine to show for 40+ years of hype.

Even viable fusion will not happen in our lifetime.

They SHOULD be putting all this $ into mass producing thorium fission reactors.
Very manageable waste and effectively unlimited fuel.
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
@coliver, SPARC was just in the NYTimes (and probably other news outlets) at the end of September with the headline "Fusion Reactor 'Very Likely to Work""

Sort of ridiculous science by press release.
This: https://www.space.com/nuclear-fusion...parc-2025.html

Should I put a press release stating that mine will be ready in 24 years instead of their claim of 25?
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

all of these things work great in theory and in the lab, but real world constraints tend to make them fizzle out.

However - it is only by trying and failing that we eventually figure things out. To quote Edison: I've not failed, I've found 10,000 ways that won't work. And I can't recall who said if you have not failed you are not trying hard enough.

Toyota actually sort of has a flying car going now, and I've seen a few ducted fan vehicles that have some promise. And these fusion things will eventually pan out to Mr Fusion. Just not in the timeline established in the movies.

I just remember, in kindergarten, when we went from 1969 to 1970 that this was the future! (yes, even then I liked SF). then 70s to 80s - new decade, new science! a few decade changes later, a millennial change later, and honestly, we're pretty much the same. Just remember that Bladerunner took place last November in the movies. And 2001...*sigh*

Now there are a lot of changes, but nothing (other than the huge impact of computers getting small enough to wear on your wrist - hello Dick Tracy!) is really all that different it seems.

Or I am just getting old - and get off my lawn!

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old October 10th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post

Now there are a lot of changes, but nothing (other than the huge impact of computers getting small enough to wear on your wrist - hello Dick Tracy!) is really all that different it seems.
No, you are correct. Only circuit miniaturization has changed. Cell phones are just walkie talkies shrunk down and networked behind the scenes. We still fly in jet planes using jet fuel. Autos are the same basic items. TV has changed to match more computerization. From 1870 - 1970 the tech advancement was HUGE. 1970 - 2020, a crawl. Getting to space is as hard as it was 50 years ago. Earthlings had more human activity in space in the 1960's than we do now. Even though not just the US & Russia are players.
Old October 11th, 2020, 04:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
No, you are correct. Only circuit miniaturization has changed. Cell phones are just walkie talkies shrunk down and networked behind the scenes. We still fly in jet planes using jet fuel. Autos are the same basic items. TV has changed to match more computerization. From 1870 - 1970 the tech advancement was HUGE. 1970 - 2020, a crawl. Getting to space is as hard as it was 50 years ago. Earthlings had more human activity in space in the 1960's than we do now. Even though not just the US & Russia are players.
Space is easier now -- we land and re-use the boosters so it's a lot less expensive.

And we've had more "human activity in space" than during the 1960s, ever since the 1970s. This includes Mir, Salyut (the ones that worked), Skylab(s), and the International Space Station, plus all of the Space Shuttle flights. There was that embarrassing gap between 2011 and this year on the US end of things, though...

True, we didn't go past LEO, but we've had more people in orbit, and more in orbit at once, than at any point in the 1960s.

Jet planes still use highly-refined kerosene because it has high energy density and is relatively inexpensive and easy to handle compared to the alternatives. The main problem with aeronautical technology is that we've run into physical limits -- drag (and noise) issues near Mach 1 and metallurgical constraints somewhere above M3.2. In theory, M5-6 is possible with known exotic materials, but honestly the atmosphere is the wrong place to be when going that fast.

Cell phones aren't just walkie-talkies. They're walkie-talkies with an automated repeater network (1960s tech, yes) and data transmission capability (early 1980s), and portable computers (late 1980s). Battery technology advances enabled them to shrink from suitcase-sized (1970s) radiotelephones to brick-sized (80s-90s) to a size limited by the physical interface (touchscreen button, and display, size limits). That said, pretty much everything (except the camera) that I can do on my current phone I could do with my Handspring Treo 270 back in 2002. Today there's a better display, infinitely more storage, likewise the processor, and so on -- but I could still send emails, browse the internet (in a limited form), edit document files, do spreadsheets, play games, and listen to music back then too.

Battery tech has probably done more for cell phones than electronics, though. If your phone used 1980s-era Nickel-Cadmium cells instead of Lithium-ion, the batteries alone would weigh about a pound (0.5 kg) -- think in terms of 8 C-size cells.

Last edited by Grav_Moped; October 11th, 2020 at 05:04 AM..
Old October 11th, 2020, 07:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Why fusion power always 20 years away:

https://literallymechanical.tumblr.c...-fission-power
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the history of Traveller:

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page