Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old August 9th, 2020, 10:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

The best definition of Major Race is "Race has built and maintains a multi-sector empire where they are the dominate species and the major decision makers". The "invented jump drive" is an excuse generated by the Vilani to justify their status and adopted by others.

Quote:
A Major Race is generally defined as one that independently developed jump drive technology. While it is generally agreed that there are six Major Races, how they are specifically defined varies quite a bit. Even within Charted Space, this is understood to be a somewhat arbitrary distinction and something generally used for promoting the status of one's own race or diminishing that of another sophont species.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the history of Traveller:

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old August 9th, 2020, 01:54 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I checked Zozer Games Universal World Profile book to see if Paul put in anything about aliens or non-human intelligent life, but he did not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 9th, 2020, 11:48 PM

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackworldTraveller View Post
The Major Race/Minor Race argument probably deserves its own thread. In any case it can fairly easily be refuted on a small scale.
But this is a game that tries on occasion to simulate real life. I found an in game objective reasons why the data is presented with a lack of detail to the level you desire.
There is the coarse level of granularity being used. There may in fact many enclaves of other species besides the "standard humans" but they either:
Smaller than 1% of population, in this case less than 7 million
Not canon because there are none.
Not specific because there has been no systematic way to determine such breakdowns.

If you are referring to the Rebellion Era Data on travellermap, the Vilani (VilaN) populations were created by me as the V&V book does provide a way for me to extrapolate the percentage of pureblood Vilani populations for the restored Vilani Empire.
Old October 6th, 2020, 02:18 AM

Straybow Citizen

The decision to represent everything with a single hex digit is an inherent limitation. It has to be ditched/amended for anything to be "fixed" (planet size, hydro, atmo pressure, atmo composition, population, tech). So, basically, only starport, gov, and law are effectively represented with a single digit.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old October 6th, 2020, 11:43 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybow View Post
The decision to represent everything with a single hex digit is an inherent limitation. It has to be ditched/amended for anything to be "fixed" (planet size, hydro, atmo pressure, atmo composition, population, tech). So, basically, only starport, gov, and law are effectively represented with a single digit.
Why? For most situations, why does it matter whether a world is 60, 65, or 70% covered with water?

The UPP is just a summary of a summary who's only real impact is the classification of trade code.
Old October 6th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Then there's the "population" fix, where two digits gives a much smaller-grained population size, even if the two digits are in two separate places.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old October 6th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybow View Post
Even those may be broken down (Grand Census does that for government and law). The UWP is the "big picture". There was a really interesting thread on breaking down the starport into yet another hex string. Of course we end up with things that need interpretation. While I personally like it, it is certainly not everyone's cup of tea (learned software when hex code was used, so Traveller was a natural fit for me!)

This thread I think has that discussion.

I know I played with it a while but gave up as no one I played with would really care, so it was just as easy to do GM fiat to decide the details of the port as required by the story.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

jcrocker Citizen+jcrocker Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Why? For most situations, why does it matter whether a world is 60, 65, or 70% covered with water?

The UPP is just a summary of a summary who's only real impact is the classification of trade code.
Well, the atmo code also answers the question, "do we need to put on breathers or filter masks when we exit the ship?"
Old October 21st, 2020, 03:27 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrocker View Post
Well, the atmo code also answers the question, "do we need to put on breathers or filter masks when we exit the ship?"
If the hydro is under 3, you're going to have dehydration issues even if the air is breathable. at 9+, you're going to have to be extra careful about keeping dry enough to not become a fungal colony...

That world with no hydrographics but breathable air? odds are good the life is imported... or is a remnant of an earlier time.

The two interact...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 21st, 2020, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
If the hydro is under 3, you're going to have dehydration issues even if the air is breathable. at 9+, you're going to have to be extra careful about keeping dry enough to not become a fungal colony...

That world with no hydrographics but breathable air? odds are good the life is imported... or is a remnant of an earlier time.

The two interact...
I'm not sure that this assertion is true. 100% of surface covered in water doesn't have to mean 100% humidity. 30% of surface covered in water doesn't have to mean 30% humidity or less. Local effects will predominate. 30% water may well mean 0-2% humidity well away from from the coasts - but the coast could be quite habitable.

No hydro and breathable air - very hard to justify given the propensity of purely geological processes to absorb oxygen. Just look how rust-red deserts turn!