Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 1st, 2016, 12:28 PM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Talking Character Dossier Concept

I've never been happy with the standard character sheets that Mongoose has provided with the game. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, they definitely work well, but I've always thought they could be better. Over the past 2 years of running my campaign I have toyed with and designed at least a dozen different character sheets and one issue I have always come across is trying to fit everything that a player needs to have readily available on a single piece of paper in a clear, concise manner. Sure, you can make it double-sided but then they need to flip the page all the time. After a while I had found a sheet that was printed from an Excel spreadsheet that my players liked and was pretty good and that is what we have been using.

Now I am planning on running a game at Travellercon and wanted to do something novel and cool for the pre-generated characters that I will be giving the players and came up with the idea of a dossier, the kind that an intelligence agency might keep on a person. And I can print it on 11x17 cardstock and then fold it into booklet/folder. So after a few weeks of playing with layouts and designs, some playtesting with my group, and finally figuing out how to make MS Word print 4 8x11.5 pages in the right order to be an 11x17 booklet, I present to you the MgT 2E Character Dossier!

It is partially filled out with one of the characters for the game I will run and still needs a few tweaks, but I figured it was time to get some feedback from the community. So please feel free to comment and critique it and let me know what you think!!

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sloon Radjek 08012016.pdf (660.1 KB, 127 views)
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:02 PM
whulorigan's Avatar
whulorigan whulorigan is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,233
Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
I've never been happy with the standard character sheets that Mongoose has provided with the game. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, they definitely work well, but I've always thought they could be better. Over the past 2 years of running my campaign I have toyed with and designed at least a dozen different character sheets and one issue I have always come across is trying to fit everything that a player needs to have readily available on a single piece of paper in a clear, concise manner. Sure, you can make it double-sided but then they need to flip the page all the time. After a while I had found a sheet that was printed from an Excel spreadsheet that my players liked and was pretty good and that is what we have been using.

Now I am planning on running a game at Travellercon and wanted to do something novel and cool for the pre-generated characters that I will be giving the players and came up with the idea of a dossier, the kind that an intelligence agency might keep on a person. And I can print it on 11x17 cardstock and then fold it into booklet/folder. So after a few weeks of playing with layouts and designs, some playtesting with my group, and finally figuing out how to make MS Word print 4 8x11.5 pages in the right order to be an 11x17 booklet, I present to you the MgT 2E Character Dossier!

It is partially filled out with one of the characters for the game I will run and still needs a few tweaks, but I figured it was time to get some feedback from the community. So please feel free to comment and critique it and let me know what you think!!

Thanks!
I think it looks great!

Two points though:

On page 3, Term 3 Rank should be Force Commander, not Force Captain.

On page two, the sunburst in the lower left looks Magenta (at least on my screen). If it is possible with your graphics software, Maroon is more of a Dark Blood-Red.
__________________
.



WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:09 PM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
I think it looks great!

Two points though:

On page 3, Term 3 Rank should be Force Commander, not Force Captain.

On page two, the sunburst in the lower left looks Magenta (at least on my screen). If it is possible with your graphics software, Maroon is more of a Dark Blood-Red.
Thank you!

I actually used one of the fonts that came on my T5 cd for the sunburst, there are some cool fonts in that folder! (it is T5 Underlying Fonts folder on the CD) and then just changed the color. So it is just a matter of getting the right shade.

And I will fix that rank, thanks for pointing it out!
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default

I have been tweaking and playing around with the character sheet and now have something that looks like this. I posted it on two Traveller groups on Facebook and received overwhelmingly positive feedback and a few suggestions, that have made me look into how to create "interactive" or "layered" PDF documents that will allow the final user to choose which items appear on the document. This got me thinking (a dangerous thing indeed!) about all types of stuff and I thought I would ask here for some suggestions and ideas.

  • On/Off: Sunburst Watermark
  • On/Off: Lines in Notes Sections (for use when printing)
  • On/Off: Images (ship on front and Traveller logo on page 2)
  • Choose: Type of Dossier: (none), Intelligence or Personnel
  • Choose: Source agency: (none), Imperial Intelligence, SolSec, INI (Imperial Navy Intelligence), Zhodani Intelligence, Planetary Law Enforcement
  • Choose: Stamp on front: Confidential, Top Secret, Restricted, Private, (None)
  • Choose: Service logo on page 2: (none), Imperial Navy, Imperial Army, Imperial Marines, IISS, grey sunburst (generic), Skull & Crossbones (Rogue), career logos from T5?
  • On/Off: Source agency in footer

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

I was also thinking of moving the Summary to the last page where the extra "Notes" section is and putting space on the front page for a character portrait and possibly just listing the UPP along with the Name, Rank, Age, Race, and Gender info. I think this would make it look more like a "folder."

I am also going to make a generic "journal" page that is in the same format as everything else that you can print out as needed to "add" to the dossier as you continue along with the character if you want.

And it goes without saying that this will eventually be a PDF form that you can fill out.
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,893
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Sure, you can make it double-sided but then they need to flip the page all the time.
so what you do is print it on two sheets, then put them side-by-side in a notebook or folder. do the same thing the next page over, with less-used data. can fit a lot onto four pages delimited by frequent/infrequent use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:14 PM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
so what you do is print it on two sheets, then put them side-by-side in a notebook or folder. do the same thing the next page over, with less-used data. can fit a lot onto four pages delimited by frequent/infrequent use.
That's the goal. The front and back pages have the least frequently used information (Career history, finances, Allies/Contacts/Enemies/Rivals, summary) with the middle two having the stuff you need all the time (UPP, Skils, inventory, weapons, armor, etc).

The way it is designed you can print on 4 8.5x11 pages (Single or double sided) OR print double sided on tabloid (11x17) and use the "Bookfold" setting that your printer should have to make a 4 page booklet when you fold it in half.
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 12th, 2016, 06:20 AM
MCEvans's Avatar
MCEvans MCEvans is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise
Posts: 334
Gallery : 0
MCEvans Citizen
Talking

I like. Is a blank fillable avilable?
__________________
Joyful comments from the Peanut Gallery for your amusement.

The devil is in the details. The devil and I are 'friends'?

I hate reinventing the wheel, kicking the tires and changing the rims no problem.

Last edited by MCEvans; August 12th, 2016 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCEvans View Post
I like. Is a blank fillable avilable?
Thanks!

I'm working on that! I will let you know.
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 12th, 2016, 12:17 PM
MCutter's Avatar
MCutter MCutter is offline
Citizen: SOC-7
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Flensburg
Posts: 27
Gallery : 25
MCutter Citizen
Default Character papers

Hello
Sometimes I do gamemastering on conventions and I prepared papers with a different concept. We offen have tables, that are too small. If the papers are too large there is not enough room for deckplans, handouts, scrisps and soda... So this papers are 21cmx29cm but you fold them to 8'x5.5'...

http://www.punch-martians.com/AlexWoods-Female.pdf
MCutter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 12th, 2016, 12:25 PM
DickNervous's Avatar
DickNervous DickNervous is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Levittown NY
Posts: 474
Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCutter View Post
Hello
Sometimes I do gamemastering on conventions and I prepared papers with a different concept. We offen have tables, that are too small. If the papers are too large there is not enough room for deckplans, handouts, scrisps and soda... So this papers are 21cmx29cm but you fold them to 8'x5.5'...

http://www.punch-martians.com/AlexWoods-Female.pdf
MCutter
Same thing with this. You print it on tabloid (11x17) and fold it in half to make a 4 page booklet.
__________________
]
DickNervous aka Rich Neves
Viscount of Equus - SPIN 2417 Equus B55A858-B
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2320AD More Concept Art Colin 2300AD & 2320 12 March 23rd, 2007 05:55 PM
Concept of e-friends wizekidy The Lone Star 0 December 8th, 2004 06:49 AM
Traveller...concept album! Beck's The Lone Star 2 March 28th, 2003 04:39 AM
T5 LBBs - New concept tlindsey Pre-Release Discussion 43 March 12th, 2003 04:38 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010-2013 Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.