Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 27th, 2017, 03:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Tupper Citizen
Default Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

Does anyone know how to determine fire deviation in Mongoose Traveller 2e for direct (non-indirect) fire rounds?

Central Supply Source describes how to adjudicate artillery that's firing at targets it can't see, and how to use a forward observer to "radio in" artillery fire.

However, at a more humble level, for any weapon that has the burst trait, it's going to be important to determine where it went if it missed. The classic situation is grenades. If the grenade didn't go where it was supposed to, where did it go?
Old November 27th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

quickest answer: where the GM wants it to go.

longer answer: far enough away form its aim point that it no longer effects the target, so a frag grenade with blast 9 must have landed at least 9 meters form the aim point. beyond that, its refs call, based on the encounter, the terrain and other such factors.

its one of those things that falls under the GMS rule 0 powers.
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

AnotherDilbert Citizen

I would use a random deviation in a random direction. The process in CSC seems simple enough.

Missing with a hand grenade by more than 9 m at 20 m range seems difficult...
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Tupper Citizen

Which CSC rule would you use? Artillery uses 1d6 per 100m range (rounded up) less effect. Forward observer uses 1d6 per negative effect. My inclination is toward the latter, since it's easier to miss by enough for a target not to be caught in the burst (although I agree that it's hard to conceive of missing by 9m a target who's 20m away).
Old November 27th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

I ask where exactly they want to throw it and what they are trying to achieve. If they just make the roll, I say it landed close enough to do most of what they wanted. The better the roll, the more effective.

Same goes if they miss the roll, the worse the miss, the farther away it lands. Then I have them roll to see if it is short or over (odds or evens) and then a roll to see in what direction. How far off is based upon how badly they missed the roll.

I once had a player reach into a satchel of grenades and pull on out to throw. He rolled a 2. So I had him roll again to see how badly he failed, he rolled a 2. Then a final time to see if the grenade goes off at his feet, in his hand, or falls back into the satchel. He rolled a 3, so it went off in his hand. He spent the rest of that combat rolling around on the floor crying like a baby... with no hand.
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

AnotherDilbert Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupper View Post
Which CSC rule would you use? Artillery uses 1d6 per 100m range (rounded up) less effect.
Yes, this one for direct fire.

The FO rule for indirect fire with an actual FO.