Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old December 8th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
The old tension between law and order and individual rights.

Placing a high value on children has led to bubble-wrap helicopter parenting. The problem with valuing life -- protecting people from harm -- is that it makes for a lousy adventure setting: "Don't slay that monster, it's dangerous!"
Hmm, more like 'you cannot slay this monster outside of the monster hunting season, without a license, and if you do slay it you likely have broken weapons and/or trapping laws too'.

The highpop high LL meme is in a lot of scifi, and is often an explicit reason why characters head to the frontier.

I think it's a relevant distinction to make about the OTU, as what constitutes 'value of life' and how to preserve it differs intrinsically between a frontier world with real monsters, and a highpop hightech planet where the monsters are your fellow citizens if they decide to use the technology for destruction.

Heh, there's one for the LL revision types- tie LL instead to TL, something like TL-7+2d6=LL.
Old December 8th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
Placing a high value on children has led to bubble-wrap helicopter parenting. The problem with valuing life -- protecting people from harm -- is that it makes for a lousy adventure setting: "Don't slay that monster, it's dangerous!"
I'm not so sure that the parent who used the bubble-wrap method value their kids any more than their parent, and others more contemporary, valued their own. That's more of a methodology that's a little dysfunctional and more illustrative of a risk-adverse, or an over-controlling, way of going about trying to raise kids.

That said, and following on from that point, a high law level could be set in order to bubble-wrap a society. Imagine if you will a world, where people live peaceful productive lives, happy in the knowledge that their government and the Social Protection Services will ensure that their physical and emotional safety is always the number-one priority. I'm thinking the Joes without the mind-rays!
Old December 9th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Hmm, more like 'you cannot slay this monster outside of the monster hunting season, without a license, and if you do slay it you likely have broken weapons and/or trapping laws too'.

The highpop high LL meme is in a lot of scifi, and is often an explicit reason why characters head to the frontier.

I think it's a relevant distinction to make about the OTU, as what constitutes 'value of life' and how to preserve it differs intrinsically between a frontier world with real monsters, and a highpop hightech planet where the monsters are your fellow citizens if they decide to use the technology for destruction.

Heh, there's one for the LL revision types- tie LL instead to TL, something like TL-7+2d6=LL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
I'm not so sure that the parent who used the bubble-wrap method value their kids any more than their parent, and others more contemporary, valued their own. That's more of a methodology that's a little dysfunctional and more illustrative of a risk-adverse, or an over-controlling, way of going about trying to raise kids.

That said, and following on from that point, a high law level could be set in order to bubble-wrap a society. Imagine if you will a world, where people live peaceful productive lives, happy in the knowledge that their government and the Social Protection Services will ensure that their physical and emotional safety is always the number-one priority. I'm thinking the Joes without the mind-rays!
Getting a bit close to current US politics.

I will say the causality link (High Pop ⇒High Law) isn't well established, but the correlation in SF predates the most scientific examination of it - John B Calhoun's "Universe" experiments with rodents in the 1960's and 1970's. (At least 2 dozen - #25 is the most relevant, results published in 1972.)

Calhoun found that, in rodents, easy feed high density leads to colony collapse when population density grows too high, even tho' the resources are readily available to feed, water, and house them all. The collapse included a variety of issues - including violent packs of young non-reproductive males. Which many in the social sciences choose to attribute to a lack of law enforcement upon the mice, and thus feel society will need to enact more laws to cope with more density.

The political issues, however, are linked to several other findings, which I suggest not be discussed here, due to their relevance in US, Canadian, & Australian current politics.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Baron

Gallery : 44
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen

The movie Demolition Man had a very protective government - no booze, no sex, no sugar (IIRC) nothing that could hurt the citizens. While played up for comedy, it really is more dystopian and controlling. High law level there as well (although it has been 20+ years since I saw it)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Bloghttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old December 9th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Getting a bit close to current US politics.
Sorry, had no idea about that. I was basing it more on an article about bubble-wrap/helicopter parenting I'd seen from another country, from which I drew some of my knowledge.

The Will Smith "I, Robot" has a similar meme - the robots attempt to take over in order to ensure that they protect humans, as they're required, but from themselves. Not an unreasonable take on it as long as the safeties are left off.