Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > In My 2300 Universe

In My 2300 Universe Discussion of non-canon ideas for use in your 2300 Universe

Old May 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
johndavidanderson Citizen
Hi all, I've just got 2320AD and am very impressed. I've been planning a campaign which has definite similarities to the posters above.

I'm looking at having the players as the crew of a British 80-man, converted Leander class, frigate, acting as HM Government's gunboat in the French Arm and ensuring British lines of trade are unimpeded. I'm taking the slow-travel-therefore-long-lines-of-communication theory and equating the crew's mission as similar to those during our colonial era. Delivering Govt parcels, troubleshooting, 'showing the flag' etc.

The players would take the lead roles with: Captain, Engineer, Marine Lieutenant, Merchant Corporation Rep (a la East India Company), Doctor, and scientist. Their mission..."to do all that is necessary and prudent to facilitate His Majesty's and Great Britain's economic, scientific, and military, endeavors". This could involve side-treks with players playing different members of the crew in different types of scenarios, from marine boarding actions (the asteroid station), diplomatic missions between colonies, anti-piracy etc.

I'm looking at throwing at them an asteroid-based ex-Kafir facility, guarded by a mysterious, decommissioned French frigate that jumps them, a booby-trapped asteroid base and possibly 'malfunctioning' super-soldiers left behind to be obliterated with the station. Within the asteroid is a top secret scientific facility working towards breeding genetic 'ubermensch' with which to begin colonizing new worlds and spreading. The 'big bad' would be a very powerful 'splinter cell' of a large Foundation (I was thinking Life)who aim to rule the new utopia independent of the 'interference' of contemporary human society.. Spreading is seen as the best way to ensure their survival - but will more probably bring the transhumans into conflict with Earth's powers.

While not strictly cyber-super-humans, it's definitely in the same vein. Any ideas?

John

Edit: Forgot to put my name.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen
A Life Foundation secret group with ties to Pro-Volution, perhaps. Some magazine article in Challenge an overly-long time ago had super-soldiers in it, so the idea isn't entirely outside canon (assuming that everything in Challenge was canonical). Throw in Pentapods to make everything really weird.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

johndavidanderson Citizen
Thanks for the response Colin. Rather than hijack this thread, I've started another about the Voyages of the HMSS Beagle.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

G. Fieendish Citizen

Re:this thread
The main problem with this, is in the Cyberpunk 2020 universe, only one company has delevoped Ceretronic (Their word for cloned neural tissue) technology, Adrek Robotics & their attempt in delevoping a Humanoid combat cyberform went badly wrong.....
(Michael LaBossiere did a adventure in one of the later Challenge magazines, involving the fate of said cyberform....).
As for combat cyborgs, look up the Dragoon cyborg in Chromebook 3, or if you're really a glutton for punishment, the Dai-Oni powersuit from the 4th Corporate War - Shockwave sourcebook....
(The Dai-Oni powersuit can only be operated by a cyborg, (in this case a heavily modified/enhanced Alpha class body), as there's no life support inside the suit...)

Last edited by G. Fieendish; November 1st, 2007 at 08:24 PM..
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen

The scenarios are "Beast of Boston" and it's follow up "Full Metal Rain". Ardek is a Cyberpunk company that has Drones in the Chromebook and the "Firestorm" books. There is also a non-ceretronic "all computer" AI in "This is only a test" and a tank-sized one in "Gorgon Hunt" but neither is by Ardek.

More Cyber-Equipment could be found in a number of Challenge Articles in the 40s and 50s issues, some of it (IIRC Challenge 43) dual-statet for CP and 2300AD. And the Super-Soldiers are in Challenge 54 (Horror Issue) and have both an interesting scenario and a nice background.

Spoiler:

They are Pentapod-constructed. The Pods have captured and used Humans, changed their bodies and perception (They see themselfs as normal). The PC are those characters and wake up in a dying Pentapod craft not knowing where they are.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?

Last edited by mbrinkhues; December 10th, 2007 at 11:34 AM..
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Gallery : 5
Anders Citizen

One of the truly cool things about the cerebral cortex is that it seems to be an general computational matrix: what a piece does depends on what signals it gets and how it adapts to those (and connected cortex pieces). A classic experiment in ferret embryos involves re-routing the auditory or visual nerve to the opposite cortex, and the ferrets develop vision or hearing where the input goes.

Now, this suggests that if you can culture cortex and add neural interfaces to it you can likely train it at the very least to act as a pattern-recognition system. In one of my campaigns this was the basis for most "AI", including shrew-derived controllers for missiles and huge neural co-processors for data mining. At the end of the second campaign in that setting (set 20 years later) some people where having extra cortex connected to their brains using wireless links, literally devoting square meters of tissue to economics or math. It was not very good for their mental stability :-)

In 2320AD I would guess such tissue can be cultured with no problem, but actually getting it to *work* is another matter. Which of course will enable lots of fun adventures involving corporate naughtiness, very buggy cyborgs, Philip K. Dick reality confusion and headhunting for the right kind of volunteers. As well as a lot of senior military people shaking their heads at the latest fad, reminiscing about the days when they wasted billions on AI tanks and super-stutterwarps that never got anywhere. Even technology that doesn't work well or as intended makes for good games.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM

G. Fieendish Citizen

Re: Last post
This sounds a lot like the Wiseman Borg conversion from Chromebook 3, in they attached the equivalent of a extra 6.5 Lbs (3Kg ?) of cloned brain tissue throughout the Borg body...
(The Wiseman was a borg body configured for Netrunners, & cost approxmately some €95,000, excluding the Intensive Care Psychotherapy treatment cost, which was effectively mandatory due to the Humanity Cost of the Conversion...)
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Gallery : 5
Anders Citizen

Colin's mention of pentapods of course suggests a solution: ask them to grow suitable brains for the battlebots. Assuming they would understand the goal they would probably find the exercise intriguing and construct what would essentially be expendable cut-down pentapod pilots. Of course, pentapods would normally make entirely biological battlebots but could probably be convinced that human weapons technology is a bit better.

"So you mean our entire bioinfantery army is run by little starfish?!"
"Don't worry, we got a certificate of loyalty. Once they hatch they will immediately bond to the nearest officer they see. You know, like ducklings?"
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

"Don't worry, we got a certificate of loyalty. Once they hatch they will immediately bond to the nearest officer they see. You know, like ducklings?"
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. I would have killed my keyboard.
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM

G. Fieendish Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
"Does anyone have any solvent....?"
After all, there's more than one way for someone/thing to bond with another.....