Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old February 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
anders lager Citizen
Hmmm...I guess I have to take a look at the MT ref's companion. In fact I just received it this weekend from eBay, but I haven't had the time to read it.
Thanks everyone for the input.

/doc.
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:59 AM

anders lager Citizen
Quote:
X-boats are essentially a relay-rider system. They're actually the second fastest way to communicate between stars. The fastest is to be a part of certain parts of Imperial government and you'll get access to the TJ (jump-6) shadow courier fleet. Otherwise, you're stuck hoping to get messages through with mail traveling at like Jump-2 or something.
Epicenter - where can I find info on the shadow courier fleet? I have just recently returned to Traveller after a looong abscence (I was a player in the 80's, and I only GM:ed a few scenarios in the early 80's (using the Deluxe traveller set), so I haven't been following the "literature" for quite a while).
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM

anders lager Citizen
Here's a link to a 2300AD (another favourite) PBEM site with some computer tech stuff in the GM section. Mostly about netrunning (cyberpunk style) but nice discussions on how comp tech might work in the future...

Wunderland PBEM
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
The TJ thing is covered in MTs Rebellion Sourcebook.
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM

anders lager Citizen
Aah...I just won that one on eBay, so I reckon I will have in a week or so...
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by TheEngineer:
Hi !

Anyway regarding communication, there is a short chapter (2 pages) in MTs referees companion.
Well it deals less with networks but with in-system communication.
Classical radio is still the workhorse for civilian long range commo. At least in the presented designs nearly every starship is equipped at least with a system wide ranging radio.
Guess above TL 7/8 everything in civilized regions is heavily networked (hard-wiring/satellites).
Long range backbones (e.g. to other in-system planets, farports etc.) could be established via laser comm or even classical radio.
Another breakthru perhaps happens at TL14, when Meson communication is used as a backbone.

Longer ranges might force communication to work more or less asynchronous, with packaged data (voice/image mail etc..), except you want to wait 5+ Minutes between sends and receives... [img]smile.gif[/img]
But I guess nobody want to play Imperial Counterstrike with a ping of 300000 ms.

Most developed system might provide a broadband readonly datastream, containing the most important data/messages for an incoming vessel.
More specific information could be provided on-demand via special channels.
The MT companion book tells about standard channels and channel directories:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
For example, upon entering the Regina system, a ship has information about standard channels such as Navy, Scout, Distress, and Hailing It doesn’t know system-specific channels such as Market Prices, Passage Reservations, Entertainment
Once the Directory has been accessed, the ship’s computer knows what channels are available.
Regards,

TE
</font>[/QUOTE]IIRC modern airports broadcast standard data informations on a fixed channel that is not used for anything else. Just continously update information that pilots should listen to on approach. IMHO it's save to assume that Starports do the same. "235-1115 1130IST: Methan clouds at 700km AGL on the inner gas giant. Class 3 Ion storms between the first and second asteroid belt. Solomanie commerce raider lurking around the outer gas giant"

As for a long-range, high ping "Internet" the old Aloha radio network of Hawaii might serve as an example for a broadcast network used in close orbit (say Earth-Moon) around a planet with long range laser com "trunc" lines between planets. Forget the Web, it's back to FTP and Telnet.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Jame Citizen
What I want to know is why computer programs are millions of credits and not thousands.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Quote:
Originally posted by Jame:
What I want to know is why computer programs are millions of credits and not thousands.
They were written by Defense Contractors working with Nasa Engineers to meet dual military and civilian specs. And they are written in binary code to maximize performance on those TL 5 vacuum tube model 1 computers. How much would YOU charge to work on that project?
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM

veltyen Citizen
Ignoring the snark atpollard is essentially correct. There is a certain quality difference between code that must be tested, and must never fail, and what passes for current day commercial software.

When you count development time in man-years the costs add up. Same reason defence contractor code costs so much today. Or in other words, do you want to buy cheap software that might kill you, or expensive software that won't.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:49 AM

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
Guess the programs themself only cost a few thousands. Its the customization by highly paid starship engineering consultants, which boost the overall costs....

A bit more serious, I would say there was a good reason to drop the whole software program issue, starting with High Guard. IMHO it was a proper adaption to real world circumstances....