Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Computers have been a point of mirth in OTU because of the technological leaps we've make (and are continuing to make) in electronic data processing, but how about health care?

There's been some kibitzing about this in past journals, but I'm wondering if in the far future technology and science might give us healthy life spans of a couple of centuries. From this perspective might not the official aging rules need some modifying to reflect this?

(assume no anagathics)
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
The aging rules in character generation have been debated here and elsewhere. Not saying it shouldn't be again though [img]smile.gif[/img]

My contribution last time around was the way I've always looked at it is best summarized by quoting Indiana Jones "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

In other words the typical Traveller lives hard, dies young. Sure you could live forever (or nearly so) if you played it safe by living a sensible life on a high tech rich garden world, and were lucky enough to avoid accidents and disasters. But where's the fun in that [img]smile.gif[/img]

Travellers are out there breathing alien bugs, soaking up rads, and generally abusing their health in a thousand different ways. Is it any wonder their bodies respond by failing at an early age?

Given that, there should be a different aging table for those safe careers like Bureaucrat. Unless it's like Bureacrat with a license to carry and enforce red tape around gas giants and such [img]smile.gif[/img]

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Merxiless Citizen
Well since we are speculating:

Nowadays we have organ transplants. Not yet routine, but getting there.

In the future, I think perhaps anagathics will be better understood / Cloned organs will be used on some level, either with clones in some kind of black bag operation / covert illegal clone farm deal, making cloned organs a routine surgery in any number of decades, thus either or both combined expanding life span to perhaps 150 years or more.

In the far future, nanotechnology or similar or some greater understanding of how cancer works will be a great boon to life span. A century or more in the future with perhaps lives of 200 years.

In the very far, far future, people will be able to "build" and "repiar" a person from, essentially, raw materials. No one will die, except in the most dramatic accidents, and anything lesser, medical first aid kits will be able to fix most wounds except perhaps the brain. Perhaps 2 or 3 centuries. I have seen some articles that making long term predictions, say 250 years or less.

All of this is assuming:

The current geopolitical framework remains somewhat stable (which I don't think it will, really).

That no anti-technological surge or purge takes over or inhibits the growth of technology. Hard to say on this, I can see both / either.

And yes, I am a big fan of Ray Kurzweil, and an avid reader of Joel Garrou's "Radical Evolution".

So essentially, someone who lives out the next 50 years, might end up living, virtually forever, if they are lucky, at each stage.

My wife and I talk about this, sometimes to understand the psychology of someone that might be, say 400 years old. Hard to imagine from here. But someday, someone out there, will be this old, and have a much different understanding of the way the world works.

Not to say "thinking like Elves", but...there it is.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Actually come to think of it, does the aging table actually imply a life expectancy? Even for hard living Travellers? Isn't there a ruling that your stats can't go below 1 through it or am I misremembering?

Edit: Looked it up. What I was recalling is the aging crisis roll. If an aging throw lowers an ability to 0 or less you roll 8+ (DM for medical) to survive.

Anyway, I'd probably relable the table as a first step. Something like Disabilitating Effects. Second step, I'd maybe introduce DMs for different careers. The less dangerous (long term health wise) the less likely you'd suffer a penalty to a stat. Keep the baseline for the classic hazardous careers (military and space) but allow others a break.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Liam Devlin Citizen
I seem to recall the JTAS article in Issue #19 on rejuvenation techniques, which was offered as an "Alternative' to costly, addictive anagathics..by Robert Reese's " Gerontology, rejuvenation & the INterstellar Traveller", pp 6-7.

[img]graemlins/alpha.gif[/img] These were set at TL-13, for a minimum tech basis to do or better, with an UWP A or B-class starport, UWP pop 3 to pop 8, UWP Law level 9 or less world.

[img]graemlins/alpha.gif[/img] Persons undergoing such treatments were at the rejuve medical facility undergoing said "rejuve"/ renewal of their bodies for a period of 6 T-standard months, plus 1 month per decade over sixty.

Example 1a: An 80-year old traveller, would spend 6 + 2(decades) months in this facility just feel like & look, be as healthy as he/she was at 50 again.

Example 1b: The 80-year old traveller wishes to be younger still, say in his 20's, then is spending 6+ 6 (decades), or 12 months at the facility.

[img]graemlins/alpha.gif[/img] Persons qualified to start these treatments had to prove they were 60 years of age or older.

[img]graemlins/alpha.gif[/img] Base cost was set at 15Mcr plus 5Mcr per decade over 60.

In example 1a, the Traveller would have paid 15+ 10MCr = 25MCr total for his eight month stay and rejuve, or the cost of an S-class Starship.

In 1b, he would have paid 45Mcr for the 12 month long treatment.

While Mr reese's article points out the interesting concepts of such a society of gerontology, and the high medical costs developing a classical case of "Haves" vs. "have nots" here, there also should have been an implemented ceiling based on the original character rolled up IMO of where to set the limit how many times, a character could physically be "rejuvenated" before final death.

The costs alone provide that only the continuously wealthy could afford it, naturally. My take on that would have been to suggest use of the Player's Endurance/ Constitution Score (for those using the 2d6 way of chargen) divided by two, and for those with 3d6 chargen, the Con, divided by three for a simple solution and sane ceiling limit.

that's all I recall on this..
helpfully yours,

"To ye who pass us by, Go tell the Spartans, By Spartan Law, here we lie"</i>
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Merxiless Citizen
I am curious as to why you'd set a limit, other than "Game balance"?

Seems to me that after a few centuries, there'd be a group of "power elites" that would run everything, (maybe not overtly, of course) with the skill, and experience to back it up. Then again, I'm a fan of games like Dark Matter, Dark Conspiracy, and Conspiracy X.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Liam Devlin Citizen
Well, merxiless, primarily it would be to prevent any possible player munchkinism and deathless Characters. It also puts a finite limit on how long such an NPC could exist taking such treatments, and still leave death as an option out--or the need for bodyguards (anyone here say "easy Merc ticket gig"---guard this old man/ woman for a year? [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img]

Still, the impact of such a gerontology-society would have in the SF setting validity. There would still be your power-elites, who had ruled for centuries..and allowance for stagnation of thought, form of government, responses to rapidly changing situations might not be the swiftest..and revolution from the poorer, younger population masses ruled thusly always around the corner..(Amber zone anyone?)

Something like this has been illustrated in the Simon Deathstalker series of SF books with their Nobility to some extent recently. the Honor Harrington's 'Verse has their Prolong I & II treatments, for example.

"To ye who pass us by, Go tell the Spartans, By Spartan Law, here we lie"</i>
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Jame Citizen
I've been developing a house rule where you can have up to 12 or 15 terms, and you don't begin aging rolls until the 6th ot 7th.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Survival rolls already cover career differences (especially the T4.1/T5 draft).

I allow TL bonuses to aging rolls.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Klaus Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Merxiless:

And yes, I am a big fan of Ray Kurzweil, and an avid reader of Joel Garrou's "Radical Evolution".

Crosses index fingers, looks for the garlic, and reloads the shotgun..

Ray Kurzwiel is a very scary man. And almost certainly barking up the wrong tree, or just barking. I can see how he's good source material for sf ideas, though.

I've had personal dealings with some of his acolytes, the Extropians. As creepy as Scientologists, or the assistants in an Apple Shop (now they're seriously cultish!). [img]smile.gif[/img]

[EDIT: on second glance I saw my post could be construed as implying the original poster as also cultish. Not my intent at all, and I hope not taken that way. [img]smile.gif[/img] ]

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:

I allow TL bonuses to aging rolls.
Sounds like a very sensible way to go, sir. Pray tell how it works in YTU.