Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old January 9th, 2020, 09:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Back to thinking on some magic rules for the sector. Looking at my older D&D stuff, along with Spell Law and Middle Earth Roleplaying. I may have to have two systems, one for the NPCs encountered on various planets where they already know magic works, and then one for players who discover that their character can do magic. Still working on that, with Andre Norton's books as one of my guides. I keep thinking that you have two kinds of magic, one being more of an orderly school approach like Spell Law and MERP, and then the "Wild Talent" kind, which is closer to most of D&D and also the Harold Shea stories. If you have not read Fletcher Pratt's Harold Shea stories, you should do so. It is all Alternative Universe stuff, and very well done. One of Shea's problems is spells being unexpectedly stronger than though, and those nasty unanticipated side effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

So is your Traveller setting, in some areas, a "Lasers & Sorcery" style of setting, where magic is eerie and dangerous ala Conan the Barbarian?
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:49 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
So is your Traveller setting, in some areas, a "Lasers & Sorcery" style of setting, where magic is eerie and dangerous ala Conan the Barbarian?
I am not sure that I follow you. If you mean the Conan the Barbarian movies, I have not seen them. I have read all of the Conan stories by Howard, and have them all, but when you get right down to it, there is not that much sorcery in them. There is a lot of use of powders from various forms of the lotus, some necromancy and calling of various supernatural creatures and demons, but not really that much magic in the line of D&D. If you mean the Conan the Barbarian game, I do not have it.

As for lasers, I am not that much a fan of personal energy weapons, so the personal weaponry is going to be similar to H. Beam Piper's books. Ship lasers for anti-missile defense, yes, however, I have questions as to the effectiveness of lasers in space combat. I am not sure how much of that I will add in, verses simply recommending that if the players want space combat, just get the regular rule set. I am looking more at what happens when the players are dirt-side.

As for magic being dangerous and eerie, on the planets where it works, it might be that for the players, unless they have some background in D&D. Otherwise, if might not be that unusual. I keep thinking of the implications of a world where magic works, and it differs a bit from D&D and Middle Earth Roleplaying. Some forms will be common, and some will not be. Things like "Continual Light Lanterns" with blackout shields are going to be around, the main thing will be how much they cost. Healing is going to be around, but I am playing with that as well. Basically, it is a case of creating some of my own fantasy rules, drawing on a wide range of sources, that work with the Cepheus Engine, or not, as the case my be.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old March 26th, 2020, 12:21 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I have pretty much put this on the far back burner.

Old August 29th, 2020, 01:33 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Off of back burner. Spending some time in Shipshewana always seems to kick my creative side into overdrive. I need to do some more work on Vinland, and for El Paso, I have been working on trading planets within the vicinity, and what might be going there for a Free Trader to carry.

I might have to change some of the population values in the sector as well, now that it has simmered a bit. Also, try to consolidate all of my various posts covering planets into one coherent place and make sure that they are all consistent.

Old August 30th, 2020, 02:52 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Now, I am working on the trade possibilities of El Paso to various nearby planets, roughly within a 6 parsec radius, two Jump-3 or 3 to 6 weeks in hyperspace, along with more extended write-ups on the Sword sub-sector, and Vinland. Would there be interest in my posting them somewhere? I probably would add an alternate trade goods table along with the stowage factors for some items where I have them, and how I determine what goods would be available and what trade goods might be wanted on the various planets.

Old October 5th, 2020, 01:41 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Well, I did not realize how many planets were within 6 parsecs of El Paso, given that it is near the junction of 4 sub-sectors. It turns out to be 18, which is about twice what I thought. That means working up 18 brief planet descriptions along with figuring out what trade goods each planet may have for export and what will they be interested in. Some of the planets will have limited export goods, while needing just about everything brought it, while others are self-sufficient, and will be interested mainly in what could be called "luxury goods" or unique goods or items. What will help is that some of the planets are coming from Piper's works, hence the sector name, so I already have an idea about the planet. No planets from any of Andre Norton's works, but those will be coming.

The most common Free Trader and Subsidized Merchant ships are probably going to be either Jump-2 or Jump-3 ships, or Hyperdrive-2 ships covering a parsec a week. There will be some Hyperdrive-1 ships, covering a parsec a month, poking around, mainly between adjacent star systems or the odd charter trip needing an inexpensive ship. Some planets are going to finance a couple of Subsidized Merchants just to maintain interstellar communication and trade in a more sparsely populated sector. That means coming up with the principal city names for the planets likely to do this, as that would also be the star port location in some cases. There is a lot of Balkanized planets based on low planetary populations that are spread out over a planet. Those will mean more than one star port probably, and I am not sure if some might have more than one Subsidized Merchant line.

I do need to get the revised trade goods table worked up pretty soon too.

Old October 9th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
Default Background Stories

I am in the process of designing my first ship for the new sector, and putting together the background of it. This, in turn, is forcing me to look at more than just the basic background of the ship, but of some of the sub-sector planets as well.

The Simple Simon is a 600 dTon Subsidized Merchant, capable of Jump-3 and 1-G acceleration, presently on the ground at El Paso, in the Sword Sub-sector of the Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector. The captain, Thomas Norton, is in the process of trying to sell to El Paso 6 containers of saltpeter, 240 tons, and 12 containers of a mix of sheet and ingot steel, totaling 480 tons. The 6 containers of synthetic textiles are barred from entry, and will need to be sold later. He is waiting on tests on the saltpeter, to determine its level of purity for use in gunpowder, to see if he gets the price of gunpowder-quality saltpeter or a fertilizer price for the lot. He is hoping that El Paso government will take the steel to use in trade with its steel suppliers on New Texas, as it its current form, it is not usable on El Paso. In the meantime, the broker for El Paso is looking to see what cargo they can put together for the Simple Simon for sale elsewhere.

The Simple Simon is out of Torc, on Brisingamen, a Tech Level 7 planet located in the Odin Sub-sector, adjacent to the Sword Sub-sector. The ship was built on Baldur, one of the most advanced planets in the entire sector, so it is a Tech Level 12 ship, and it is the second subsidized merchant built for Brisingamen. The first, Freya's Gift, is primarily used on the Baldur-Brisingamen run to ensure the interstellar trade for Brisingamen. The Simple Simon was built to engage in speculative trade with nearby planets, along with passenger and cargo carrying. (Note to self: think about passengers, not just cargo. Did any arrive on El Paso via the Simple Simon? Had not thought about that.)

Brisingamen is a Balkanized world, with a population of slightly over 7 million. However, the various groups realized that the low technology base and somewhat isolated position verses other planets in the sub-sector could relegate them to backwater status with respect to interstellar trade if they did not act together and do something. Freya's Gift was built to satisfy one block's desire for regular trade with Baldur, while the Simple Simon was built for another block's desire for more aggressive trade throughout the Odin and adjacent sub-sectors, thinking that there would be more money to be made in speculative trading than straightforward cargo runs. So far, the verdict is still out as to what strategy is more profitable.

Note, this background data is a work in progress, will be expanded on, and may change. If nothing else, it is helping with fleshing out the details on the raw UWP of the planets in the sector.