Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old January 5th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
The idea is to cut down on forestry and reliance on petroleum products by inducing people to bring their own bags. San Francisco and San Mateo (and I guess Berkleley too) tend to do a lot of social experimentation...hooray (he said sardonically).

San Mateo, Hillsborough, Millbrae, San Bruno, Redwood City, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Stanford, Foster City and a couple others are suburbs of San Francisco and Silicon Valley, making it one of the most expensive places to live.
The epilogue to my story above is the happy ending. I was up there two weeks, and my bro had to work some of the days. So, I borrowed his car and went roaming.

My first surprise is that there's a pretty popular game store in San Mateo. Gator Games. I've actually done business with them in the past, buying things for my Conan game. I hadn't put two-and-two together--the store isn't that far at all from where my bro lives. I popped in to check it out, then walked across the street and had a pretty good Chinese lunch one day.

Then, I found out about the card rooms. I trucked on up to one, played in a game for just over two hours, and won enough to pay for my trip!
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

if you want to discuss San Matteo, take it to random static. The Buy Your Bags movement is quite political, so take it to the political pulpit.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:45 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Don's Zhodani book for mongoose has cartoony-almost-looking art for the Zhodani careers. But after a bit, I like the art. If leaves room for the player to decide how their look for Zhodani will be, rather than being told by an artist's very detailed rendering of how Zhodani should only look.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

To be honest, I kind of like what the Mongeese folks have done with the basic Traveller rule book. It looks sleek and well presented with a good portion of art injected here and there. What surprised me was that it just looked like a modernized version of the Classic Traveller rules, which is what I think Traveller really needed for a the longest time.

Having said that, I am looking forward to see T5 get polished off so we can see more adventures from other authors. The Foreven thing does put a crimp in creativity. I think that, more than anything else, has me scratching my head about Mongoose Traveller. It makes me think that they have big plans for the "official Traveller Universe" in spite of stating that there isn't one.

And, on that topic, I'm glad that Mongoose has taken the tact in terms of rules verse setting that it has. To me it says that it's not going to get sucked into the trap of cranking out setting indemic to the OTU for the sake of feeding the appetites of the Traveller gaming frenzy. I think it's a smart move because you keep the system open and remind people that what Traveller can be is a system to emulate your favorite settings, OR, if you like, you can use the then Vanilla flavored OTU (now more Chocolate Sunday combined with Rocky Road ice cream...damn that sounds good about now) to your heart's content to construe whatever setting you want.

John and I exchanged some thoughts on that, and I think he and I drew the same conclusions. But, enough posting on my part. Back to writing.

p.s. the best Chinese is found on the peninsula, not in San Francisco
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
Don's Zhodani book for mongoose has cartoony-almost-looking art for the Zhodani careers. But after a bit, I like the art. If leaves room for the player to decide how their look for Zhodani will be, rather than being told by an artist's very detailed rendering of how Zhodani should only look.
I have to say, I did give art direction, and it was... followed. In the future, I need to give better direction.

Hey, in my head, the Zhodani illustrations were done by ILM, ok?

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Not WETA, Dreamworks, Apogee? Disney?
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Quote:
Not WETA, Dreamworks, Apogee? Disney?
I don't want Zhodani cartoons, and just what we need in Traveller, a Zhodani princess? Thanks a lot.

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

ZAP: Zhodani American Princess

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
To be honest, I kind of like what the Mongeese folks have done with the basic Traveller rule book. It looks sleek and well presented with a good portion of art injected here and there. What surprised me was that it just looked like a modernized version of the Classic Traveller rules, which is what I think Traveller really needed for a the longest time.
Mongoose Traveller did a great job updating Classic Traveller: they added a task system, they swapped in the careers and skill list from Traveller5, they improved (I think) the combat model, and they kept the "Book 2 starships" feel in the core rules. At the same time, they kept the setting neutrality that CT started with, and proved it by making it their house SF rules for their other settings. It's hard to argue against a rules system that does that, and is ALSO successful in bringing Traveller players to the table.
Tools Link
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Mongoose Traveller did a great job updating Classic Traveller: they added a task system, they swapped in the careers and skill list from Traveller5, they improved (I think) the combat model, and they kept the "Book 2 starships" feel in the core rules. At the same time, they kept the setting neutrality that CT started with, and proved it by making it their house SF rules for their other settings. It's hard to argue against a rules system that does that, and is ALSO successful in bringing Traveller players to the table.
MgT core rules is an amazing job, and the rest of the rules books are a wealth of options for making your own game that are incredibly useful to have. With those products, I have no contention. How they have managed the Third Imperium is reprehensible.

I have no idea if they know anything about the 3I setting. So far, in just the Aliens books alone, Mongoose has turned the Solomani into a nation of racists instead of just a having a racist government, turned the Sword Worlders from viking inspired to sexist neo-nazi's, they turned the Darrians from aliens into elves, the Aslan into lion-headed toons, and the Vargar into dog-headed jokes. They have also been subtlety making small changes to cannon that have wide reaching effects, and seeming not caring one whit about it. To me it seems they care nothing about the award winning setting that has come to be seen as Traveller in the gaming community's eyes. THANK THE GODS they got an author that knows the setting to do the Zho and upcoming Droyne book, because it has become obvious to me, that while they can write great rules for a game, they cant handle a setting for beans.

Just so you folks know, the above is my opinion, and me venting long withheld anger over what I have read in the 3I setting materials from Mongoose products, and in no way reflects the opinions or attitudes of the rest of the staff of the COTI board or FFE.

~Cryton

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E