Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old March 4th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
infojunky Citizen

I have been pondering MT a lot this last month, there isn't a lot wrong with it, in that if one goes back and fixes the issues in CT then propagate forward from there into MT a lot of the silliness tends to disappear.

Realistically the more I look at MT, the more I consider it to be Advanced CT.

My biggest issue with character creation was skill proliferation, which was happening throughout the run of CT, thus MT exacerbated the problem, but a little judicious trimming can solve that issue.
Old March 4th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Is that what happened? Or was it simply that what they did publish was just too "meta" (vs "get the plans from the abandoned space station, and, oh, don't open the door to the lab -- just saying" adventures).

I don't know, but I can't really say that it died out, rather they usurped it with the House system and TNE. There was the transitionary module "Survival Margin" that acted as a bridge between the two, right? But how long was it between SM came out and the previous module came out? Meanwhile, Challenge was still going strong and had consistent Traveller content.

I just don't recall there being some long lull.
Eh, but Challenge and the other periodical that replaced JTAS had more gizmos and settings; cybernetics, sickness, critters, that new bodily hit-chart, and their version of AMBER Zones, stuff like that. The few issues that I bought there was one adventure about going after pirates, and it was pretty prosaic CT oriented stuff.
Old March 5th, 2019, 12:45 AM

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

The Raise Dead cast on this thread has made me realise I never showed my workings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
BTW, you say the Blaser has a range of 1250 km. Where do you take this number from? in the table in page 80 of the PM it is listed as Far Orbit range (so about 0.5 Mkm).
Ship-mounted TL 13 beam laser

TL 13, Pen 75/7, Damage 60, Range 1250 km.

Striker says the laser has an input of 250 MW (Striker Bk 2, p 41, para. C.1.).

Laser output is input/4 = 250/4 = 62.5 MW (Striker Bk 3, p 19, para. H).

The ranges are (ibid, p 19, para. I):
Effective = output x 2 = 62.5 x 2 = 125 km
Long = output x 4 = 62.5 x 4 = 250 km
Extreme = output x 20 = 62.5 x 20 = 1250 km.

EDIT: Perhaps I should point out that this is for interface and surface combat only. The ranges for space combat remain the same.
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th

Last edited by Hyphen; March 5th, 2019 at 03:42 AM..
Old March 5th, 2019, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Is that what happened? Or was it simply that what they did publish was just too "meta" (vs "get the plans from the abandoned space station, and, oh, don't open the door to the lab -- just saying" adventures).

I don't know, but I can't really say that it died out, rather they usurped it with the House system and TNE. There was the transitionary module "Survival Margin" that acted as a bridge between the two, right? But how long was it between SM came out and the previous module came out? Meanwhile, Challenge was still going strong and had consistent Traveller content.

I just don't recall there being some long lull.
Traveller's Digest and MegaTraveller Journal were dedicated MT & 2300; Challenge wasn't really even a house organ, often having non-GDW games support, and many people playing Traveller didn't get it.

As for Survival Margin - it was a lot of Library Data, closing up the rebellion storyline in a very Deus Ex Machina manner. (Dulinor dying on Capital from a Virused Combine, for example)... Virus was intoduced but not mechanically defined. Mechanically, it merely provided conversions from MT to expected TNE compatible stats (Really, to TNE 2.2 and Dark Conspiracy stats). Generally, conversions have more skill levels than native TNE characters, but not enough more to be unbalancing. (TNE and DC give more skills per term than does TNE.)

About that time, DGP quit doing Traveller, and Challenge was the only support for some time. I seem to recall about 8 or 9 months. I know my local group of Traveller fans were generally put off by the setting; we tried it, I had a successful campaign... but was unfun for me. For those used to DGP's regularity, and who knew DGP did MT under work for hire as well as supplements under license, DGP shuttering its Traveller effort, plus GDW abandoning both rules and largely destroying the setting...

It felt to me like Traveller died the day Survival Margin was published.
It wasn't until T4 and T20 that I felt that the line was Traveller again. 2300 felt more Traveller to me than did TNE.

Mind, I started with CT. I liked CT. I liked it a lot.... but I loved MT. Survival Margin felt like a betrayal, and then Regency Sourcebook a further one.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:28 AM

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Oh, and Pen is calculated as Output x [TL Multiplier from Laser Penetration Table] = [cm steel] ==> then look up Armor Ratings table.

Effective range (i.e. out to 125 km): 62.5 MW x 12 = 750 cm steel ==> AR 75
Long range (i.e. out to 250 km): 62.5 x 6 = 375 cm steel ==> AR 67
Extreme range (to 1250 km): 62.5 x 3 = 187.5 cm steel ==> AR 59

I've just looked up my Weapons Tables and they're correct for this weapon.

(Thank goodness, otherwise that would have been embarrassing. I mean, I used to know all this stuff when I was compiling my consolidated MT weapons tables together!!)

http://members.tip.net.au/~davidjw/t...n/stshpwpn.htm
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I guess you mean this thread
Indeed, that is the very one.
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Vargas Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
It felt to me like Traveller died the day Survival Margin was published.
I may get howls of protest for saying it but it started with Hard Times for me.

Aside from the switch to TNE, the Traveller content in Challenge just never hit the same high marks that I felt JTAS did. I might be looking through rose colored glasses but even in the early issues the number and quality of Traveller offerings seemed to fall off sharply.
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
I may get howls of protest for saying it but it started with Hard Times for me.

Aside from the switch to TNE, the Traveller content in Challenge just never hit the same high marks that I felt JTAS did. I might be looking through rose colored glasses but even in the early issues the number and quality of Traveller offerings seemed to fall off sharply.
For me, that's the point it went to hospice care... but I like HT...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 9th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I like Hard Times too, as I have said many times before.

They were grim, dark, grown up, but surprisingly my players always tried to do the right thing rather than just exploit the suffering of others.

We actually had hope that from Hard Times a new setting would emerge based on lots of subsector sized former polities expanding and exploring, re-contacting etc.
Old March 16th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Ahmad Romanov Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I like Hard Times too, as I have said many times before.

They were grim, dark, grown up, but surprisingly my players always tried to do the right thing rather than just exploit the suffering of others.

We actually had hope that from Hard Times a new setting would emerge based on lots of subsector sized former polities expanding and exploring, re-contacting etc.
And that was basically T4, Milieu 0, for me (albeit set long, long before the Hard Times and the Rebellion).

I accept the entire canon of Traveller, starting with T4 and going through TNE and wherever it goes next. MegaTraveller (the game as well as the setting) is my home though and that is where my Scout ship will always return. It's probably the smallest Traveller community out there (well, TNE might be smaller), but I'm ok with that too.