Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
vargr1 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbright View Post
under 20?
We got a 15 year old to play. Weaned her off Pokemon with Full Thrust, then to Traveller. She is now a dyed-in-the-wool role-player. Of course, she was born a gun-nut, so the ironmongery of the Traveller universe appealed to her. :-)
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
jimg Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
...with the Conan rpg (yes, Mongoose! And...it's goood!!)...
Holy Cow! S4 *is* a Mongoose fanboi.

Sorry, weak attempt at humor... the coffee really hasn't kicked in yet.

Back to the original question, I can see MGT leaving long time Trav fans cold. I happen to like it, but I don't think it is revolutionary or radically improved over previous versions enough to supplant most people's existing "favorite version." I do know that I've gotten a number of people who never played any version of Traveller interested enough to pick up the core MGT rule book though.

I get the feeling that Traveller is a bit of a Frankenstein game for many referees who graft together pieces they like from various versions.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM

Tysis Citizen

We have been playing DnD 3.5 with a friend's children. They are having a lot of fun. Looks like there is still a high demand for it.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM

beowulf2044 Citizen

I remember reading an advertisement in Challenge Magazine that foretold of a new, integrated system for Traveller. It was going to combine the best of all the previous Traveller publications, produce a streamlined combat system based on AHL/Striker and update Traveller overall.

They gave us MegaTraveller instead.

I think it''s good to have a new publisher and hope that new material will bring new people into the fold. Do I care for it? It doesn't matter. To argue over the merits of the various incarnations is akin to arguing over the best flavor of ice cream.

In the end, we're all discussing ice cream.

So let's enjoy it.

Except for those weird, Rocky Road people.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Baron

Gallery : 86
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf2044 View Post
...I think it''s good to have a new publisher and hope that new material will bring new people into the fold. Do I care for it? It doesn't matter. To argue over the merits of the various incarnations is akin to arguing over the best flavor of ice cream.

In the end, we're all discussing ice cream.

So let's enjoy it.

Except for those weird, Rocky Road people.
Exactly - there is no global best: best is subjective when it comes to versions. I did buy the Spinward Marches book and liked it (MJD used Craw from the planet building article in the JTAS, which was interesting and not quite cheating, but at least linked old CT with MgT) and while nothing really new, and perhaps missing a bit of detail (IMHO), is a good treatment of that venerable (and too often covered, but hey) sector.

I also like the idea of linking the players somehow in character creation: my biggest issue when reffing CT was figuring out how to get the players together and why the heck they wanted to be together. There are only so many times you can start a campaign via the traditional bar fight...

And yes, those Rocky Road people are a bit off track...
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg View Post
Holy Cow! S4 *is* a Mongoose fanboi.
I just calls 'em likes I's sees 'em. Mongoose Traveller = not so good. Mongoose Conan = fantastic.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM

Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen

....I actually quite like MGT....

....please don't beat me to a Hivery pulp....
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM

rhialto Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I just calls 'em likes I's sees 'em. Mongoose Traveller = not so good. Mongoose Conan = fantastic.
Hmmm: having run Mongoose Conan for ~1 year, I'd say less than fantastic, but that's my anti-d20 bias showing. I'd be interested to see what you think after running it for a while. The mechanics are about as far as you can get from 68A.

I'm looking forward to trying MGT when my group is ready, and having sat on the fence about it for months finally traded in some unused game stuff to get it (practically free ). None of the other MGT products appeal to me (based partly on reviews of them, partly on owning the CT CD-ROM), and I've selected the New Era: 1248 setting over OTU or ATU or Proto-Trav.

I'd say MGT leaves me between luke-warm and simmering, but we'll see how it tastes after cooking.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

gcbright Citizen
Default The Inheritence

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post

I also like the idea of linking the players somehow in character creation: my biggest issue when reffing CT was figuring out how to get the players together and why the heck they wanted to be together. There are only so many times you can start a campaign via the traditional bar fight...

And yes, those Rocky Road people are a bit off track...
I always use the shared inheritance idea to bring characters together. Yes, all of your relatives who owned part of this ship fell to their deaths when their air raft malfunctioned at 10,000 ft.

Also the inherited shared ship makes for easy character replacement when someone's PC bites the dust. (They just willed their share to a relative).

It also keeps the party together, after all, who is going to trust someone they just met with the big expensive star ship that is part theirs.

Sometimes the ship is a clunker in warehouse, stripped out and needing repairs and parts just so the characters can get it somewhere to sale or salvage.

As always greed will keep them characters together much better than noble deeds.

Thanks

Last edited by gcbright; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:14 PM..
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
I've become more focused with chargen in my games (Traveller and other games). In my current Conan game, I ruled that all PCs would hail from Arenjun, the City of Thieves, in Zamora. I gave them just three character classes to choose from: Soldiers, Thieves, and Borderers.

Any soldier would automatically be in the City Watch. Thieves would be, well, thieves. Independent thieves. Freelancers. And, borderers would be loners, mountaineers, typically spending most of their time on the western and southern border of Zamora with Turan and the Great Desert. These men wouldn't be in the strict employ of the Governor, but that's how they'd earn their living--as contractors of a sort, reporting and living on the fringe of society.

The point being here: I was very specific about what was possible to play for story reasons. I didn't want to try to figure how a noble got mixed up with the story I have planned--or how a Temptress or Priest would join up. It wouldn't fit. I'd have to stretch.

So, I limited character generation.

I've been know to do this with Traveller, too. I don't need to give the players a wide range of choice when it comes to character generation. There's nothing wrong with saying that every PC served in the Fifth Frontier War, in the same Marine unit, and they are all now mustering out together (there's even a CT adventure in Alien Realms that starts off that way).

When I run Cold Dark Grave, I will either give the players the pregenerated characters, or I will rule that all players must roll up Belters. Because, that's what fits that story.

The next time you (universal "you" meant here) start a game, and you've got a typical Traveller vagabond crew, consider limiting the choice of career. Don't allow Army and Marine personnel. Allow those careers with skills important to crewing a starship: Scouts, Merchants, Navy.

Go another step. Make the players all from the same planet. They don't need to grow up together, but they could all easily be from the same world.

At first, this sounds "too restrictive". But, let me tell ya, once the players get used to the idea, it makes for some damn interesting (and many times, "more plausible") games.

"OK, this new campaign is going to center around the three-man crew of a Scout ship. All three PCs will be Scouts, and I'm throwing in one robot as an NPC. The Scouts will still be in the Service, so I'll allow you to muster for every term but the last..."

Last edited by Supplement Four; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:17 PM..