Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen
Default Low Berth - Dare You?

Has anyone lost a character during Low Berth travel???!

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Are you crazy! PCs never travel low. Gamble on the popsicles surviving sure, but get in one of those ice coffins, NEVER! Got a few lowberth travel tickets during muster out? Sold for Cr900 each without a second thought

Most PCs know the ref wouldn't kill them though. It'd be something worse

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM

Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Are you crazy! PCs never travel low. Gamble on the popsicles surviving sure, but get in one of those ice coffins, NEVER! Got a few lowberth travel tickets during muster out? Sold for Cr900 each without a second thought

Most PCs know the ref wouldn't kill them though. It'd be something worse
Speak for yourself. I've lost two PCs due to failed Low Berth survival rolls over the years. One was just a deader, end of mini-campaign. The second was a fugitive on the run and his corpse ended up being a mystery for the next group of Traveller players to solve.
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

The Thing Citizen

I guess the risks of low berth travel vary with the edition, it's damn near impossible to lose someone in gurps traveller IF a competent medic oversees the revival.

As to players never travelling low berth, that surprises me as I'd gathered it was not uncommon to begin an adventure with "You awaken from low berth to find a dead crewman near your berth controls. He apparently died while activating your wakeup sequence. There doesn't seem to be anyone else in the area...."
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Yep, that's a common meme, but usually only used to begin game, not in the middle of a campaign where the players have a choice, in my experience.

And you're correct it would depend on the rules. Even in CT it's not that bad with a decent medic. But our group started with CT, found decent medics to be scarce, and never overcame the fear If they could be convinced that it was safe, and that they wouldn't miss anything during jump, they'd probably do it. They'd live longer and save money.

Of course if I told them this and explained it all rationally, they'd immediately shift their suspicion to the Captain and imagine she is going to sell them into slavery and they'll wake up deep in Vargr space aboard some mining outpost

I wouldn't do that, really

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; December 3rd, 2007 at 06:09 PM..
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Mithras Citizen

Yes, we've all seen Alien Resurrection!

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM

The Thing Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Yep, that's a common meme, but usually only used to begin game, not in the middle of a campaign where the players have a choice, in my experience.

And you're correct it would depend on the rules. Even in CT it's not that bad with a decent medic. But our group started with CT, found decent medics to be scarce, and never overcame the fear If they could be convinced that it was safe, and that they wouldn't miss anything during jump, they'd probably do it. They'd live longer and save money.

Of course if I told them this and explained it all rationally, they'd immediately shift their suspicion to the Captain and imagine she is going to sell them into slavery and they'll wake up deep in Vargr space aboard some mining outpost

I wouldn't do that, really
Subjectively the players wouldn't live longer due to low berthing, they'd still experience about the same lifespan.

An advantage to normal travel is you can spend the week in jump reading up to improve a skill by a point or at least get some study time in to build up points towards a higher or new skill,or healing a wound. Would you rather arrive at your next adventure with a fresh gunshot wound or one that'd been healing for a week?

Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM

Gallery : 0
Scott Martin Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thing View Post
<SNIP>Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.
Just don't use a laser pistol...

As for low berth travel, just don't do it in one of Dan's (Far Trader's) games... it tends to complicate your life

Scott Martin
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Subjectively the players wouldn't live longer due to low berthing, they'd still experience about the same lifespan.
At least one of the versions (can't remember which offhand) wanted you to keep track of being 'in-berth' just because it did effect your apparent age. If you jump every other week or once a month, that's a good percentage of your life.

Quote:
Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.
Is it required to do Robert DeNiro quotes when you do, tho?
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Bob Weaver Citizen
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Has anyone lost a character during Low Berth travel???!
I mostly ignored that rule in my games. That's a very plot-defeating trick to pull on the PC's: "Oh by the way, you're dead" is hardly conducive to great adventure. As to NPC's, I'd never had an adventure plot where that occurred to me as a helpful plot device. I put it with a few other rules, like mis-jump; it should be included when the Ref wants to use it, not randomly inflicted on the players.

Best Regards,

Bob W.

"As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." Aragon son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir of Gondor.

My Traveller blog
Ancient Faith in the Far Future
Knight of the order of St Ignatius of Antioch