Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old January 13th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
but what does a "miniphant" or "Magniphant" look like?
Miniphants date from the pages of JTAS back in the CT period. They are elephants that never get much larger than about 4 feet tall.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:56 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
Miniphants date from the pages of JTAS back in the CT period. They are elephants that never get much larger than about 4 feet tall.
I have that copy of the JTAS, in hard copy (at least 2 hard copy) and the PDF format from DriveThru. Article states that the Miniphants were developed and derived from the Terran Indian Elephant.

The Mongoose reference states that the Miniphant was discovered on Gram and domesticated by the Sword Worlders. Those do not match in the least.

Also, Mongoose states that the Magniphant is a cousin of the Miniphant, with it being either the larger ancestor or evolved into much larger size from the Miniphant. However, the Miniphant was discovered on Gram, the Magniphant is native to Beater.

I hesitate to determine how these mutually contradictory statements can be resolved.

Edit Note: The JTAS article states that they are about 2 meters at the shoulder, which would equal about 6.5 feet, not 4 feet.
Do you have a security clearance? Sept. 15 Blog Post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by timerover51; January 13th, 2014 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: Added Size Note.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
I have that copy of the JTAS, in hard copy (at least 2 hard copy) and the PDF format from DriveThru. Article states that the Miniphants were developed and derived from the Terran Indian Elephant.
And that's how we wrote them up in GT:Sword Worlds.

Quote:
The Mongoose reference states that the Miniphant was discovered on Gram and domesticated by the Sword Worlders. Those do not match in the least.
I missed that one when I read through the manuscript. I can see no valid reason for such a gratuious change.

Quote:
Also, Mongoose states that the Magniphant is a cousin of the Miniphant, with it being either the larger ancestor or evolved into much larger size from the Miniphant. However, the Miniphant was discovered on Gram, the Magniphant is native to Beater.
More carelessness.

Quote:
I hesitate to determine how these mutually contradictory statements can be resolved.
I suppose one could come up with an explanation involving both miniphants of Sphere Terra and a family of vaguely elephantoid species native to either Sphere Gram or Sphere Beater and then invoke yet more meddling by the Ancients, but frankly I don't see any reason to bother. My suggestion to Matt would be to excise the alien mini- and magniphants when Mongoose gets around to the long-overdue revision of MgT:Sword Worlds.

When and if you do, Matt, I have some suggestions for minor tweaks, BTW. And I will, of course, be happy to playtest the revised manuscript for you.

Hans
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
I bought Mongoose online primarily to get the basic rules as I really like Attack Squadron: Roswell. I have been working on a supplement to it, using the data that I have. Should I send you an email regarding that?
We liked Roswell too, and posted it on our front page when it was released - some good ideas in that one.

As for an email, what data did you have in mind? Bear in mind that we did not publish Roswell, so if it is a specific supplement to that book you should probably contact its publisher.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
After than, any further interest in Mongoose Alien Modules evaporated permanently.
I'll acknoweldge some issues on Sword Worlds - however, I would also say that this book is not one of the Alien Modules, and I would hope you would find them markedly different.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
When and if you do, Matt, I have some suggestions for minor tweaks, BTW. And I will, of course, be happy to playtest the revised manuscript for you.
Drop me a line - we'll talk!
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
Drop me a line - we'll talk!
I'll say this, Matt. For all the crap I've seen you take (and I know I've given you some, too), you always seem to take it well and are always willing to talk.

Kudos to you, man. Other publishers could learn something from your example.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I'll say this, Matt. For all the crap I've seen you take (and I know I've given you some, too), you always seem to take it well and are always willing to talk.

Kudos to you, man. Other publishers could learn something from your example.
Cheers for that, much appreciated.

At the end of the day, I work with games because I like games - and I like talking about them, even if the subject is sometimes a difficult one about our own products.

Take now, for example. My eyes are near falling out of my head after a heavy session of editing the forthcoming Powers & Principalities (aiming for PDF release end of next week, but that is a _tough_ goal!).

So, I swing by here for a few minutes and see what is up. Anyone want to talk Traveller?
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
So, I swing by here for a few minutes and see what is up. Anyone want to talk Traveller?
Huh? I thought this was a retirement portfolio forum? Am I in the wrong place?

I kid.

And I'll second the above compliment. I have issues with Mongoose and some of their Trav stuff but Matt has been the upfront face for MongTrav on the crustiest Trav forum out there. That's saying something!
-----
On a Traveller-related note, when are we going to see decent art in 2300 products? It's painful.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

I looked through the Mongoose Sword Worlds book just now. Didn't see anything wrong with the book, other than I'd have prefered a hardcover of it. But it doesn't exactly count as an alien module book to get that treatment.

People will always complain about these books, no matter what Traveller system they're written for. To those that look for any excuse (no miniphant picture, really?) why not to continue buying books, I say "Waaah!"