Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old February 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
archhealer Citizen
Send a message via AIM to archhealer
Ok, one of my players asked me this a while back, and I was distracted so just did a Jean-Luc and made it so, but I was wondering if it wsa really a mistake or not:

In the T20 THB, it states that Pulse lasers are restricted millitary hardware, while beam lasers are not.

But, at least while mounted in small-ish batteries or singly, it appears Beam lasers are a more dangerous, better weapon. Am I misreading this?
GM--\"Ok, you\'re firing the tank\'s pulse laser at the door you want to open?\"<br />Player--\"Oh god no, that\'s insane, you\'re right. I\'ll pile those propane tanks against the door and shoot them with my RAM launcher.\"
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Where does it mention that pulse lasers are restricted?

Anyway, a quick comparisson shows that the pulse laser is potentially more damaging than the beam laser:
the pulse laser causes 1d10 per factor
the pulse laser criticals on a 19 or 20
the pulse laser inflicts x2 damage on a critical hit
the pulse laser has a greater range than the beam laser.

But in small batteries, without critical hits, the pulse laser will lose out to the beam laser - the T20 combat system favours lots of small batteries rather than one large one.