Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
I think I'm about to OD on Hitch-Hiker...

Saw the film the other day. The review that said they'd taken all the jokes out was a slight exageration, but not slight enough. Unfortunately I'm sad enough to know it off by heart, so I noticed. They just about redeemed themselves by sticking the TV Marvin in a crowd scene, though!

Talking of which, BBC2 start repeating the TV series tonight.

Best of all, the 4th radio series starts in about 10 minutes! If you missed it, you can catch it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Did you just say "I've seen it - it's rubbish?" I liked it and I've read the books 42 times, give or take. Great special effects, although the Vogons scared my nephew. I laughed, I cried, I laughed again...

Froody movie!

Dameon
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
I also saw it this weekend with my 19 yo son. We agreed that it was well done with special affects.
But I thought the humor was not up to what I rembered from the book.
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Michael Taylor Citizen
I saw it on Sat. Bought back great memories, since the TV series came on the same time I started playing Trav. Even though I had not seen it/read the books for 20 years, all the old phrases like "bug blatter beast of Traal" and "pan galactic gargleblaster" came flooding back. I just wanted to cheer when they showed the book being opened in space, to the old music from the TV series.
Downsides: what was the PC idea in changing Ford to a black man? Why couldn't we tell what Ford was saying? I didn't like the guy who played Arthur Dent. They should have cloned the original, with his high pitched whining to Ford asking all the time what was going on.
Shame they didn't have another $20 million in the budget to show the restaurant at the end of the universe...
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maspy Citizen
It was good. Not great. It was good.
The biggest problem I had with it was Ford Prefect. I didn't have any problems with them selecting a black man for Ford. I just wish he could have been better. He was not... enough. Very much lacking in wit, or something. He needed to be more a "fast talker". I can't put my finger on it exactly, but he was lacking in Fordness.
Alan Rickman was OK as Marvin, but he should have spoke a little slower, sounding more depressed.

And, Im in love with Zooey.
\"And there shall be caused to be built dark alleyways, where-in the mockers and unrighteous shall, in their turns, have their heads laid open and, likewise, their fat lips busted. And this shall be pleasing in the sight of heaven.\"<br />-Marid Audran, When Gravity Fails.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Not really interested in the movie. I may watch it on TV.

I heard the first part of the new radio series on Radio 4 last night too. For those who don't know, they've just started running a radio adaptation of the last two books featuring the original radio cast.

I just don't find it funny. I used to. I remember crying with laughter at a scene in one of the books where Marvin convinces an 'intelligent' tank to blow the floor out from under itself and consequently fall hundreds of feet to it's demise.
I recently re-read the first two books and I barely broke a smile. Same with the radio show last night and frankly, I don't see the movie being any different.

I dunno. It's a great idea. I just don't get it (anymore).

Crow
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarecrow:
I just don't find it funny. I used to. I remember crying with laughter at a scene in one of the books where Marvin convinces an 'intelligent' tank to blow the floor out from under itself and consequently fall hundreds of feet to it's demise.
I recently re-read the first two books and I barely broke a smile. Same with the radio show last night and frankly, I don't see the movie being any different.

Same here. I did manage to raise the odd chuckle or two, but no tears. Damn, I hope I'm not growing up! [img]graemlins/file_28.gif[/img]
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:45 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
"Did you just say "I've seen it - it's rubbish?""

It was...okay.

It looked great. Most of the cast was fine (Rickman made a great Marvin, Rockwell was a good Zaphod, the rest were okay except Mos Def - not 'cos he's black and American, just 'cos he played Ford *wrong*). I can't exactly put my finger on the problem, except...it's like a cover version. Sometimes, when bands cover a song, they play it *almost* like the original, but just slightly different, so that it actually *highlights* the differences if you know the original version. Also, there are loads of bits - dialogue, visuals, etc - which make sense if you know the original story but which aren't explained in the film, so would be totally incomprehensible to a new audience.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
Quote:
Originally posted by Maspy:

The biggest problem I had with it was Ford Prefect. I didn't have any problems with them selecting a black man for Ford. I just wish he could have been better. He was not... enough. Very much lacking in wit, or something. He needed to be more a "fast talker".
Thats it!
I was trying to remember what it was about the humor that was lacking from the book.
It was the Ford character!
The movie did not do the fast talking Ford Justice. They just fed him lines and he spoke them; not very convincingly, but he spoke them.
That was were the lack was for me.
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++
Quote:
or maybe, now you do get it.