Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old November 6th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
Dolphin in a Robot Suit Citizen
Default The Valet Skill

So, the Valet skill (or, uh, "program") is tossed around a lot in LBB 8 and DGP's 101 Robots book. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been defined anywhere. At first I thought it might be in LBB 5 (that's where Liaison was hiding when I had a similar "where the hell did this weird skill come from" experience while looking through some of my old character sheets) but no dice. Not in S4 either.

Is there really no detailed description of this skill in any of the LBBs? I kind of wanted to know how exactly it differs from Steward on a mechanical level.
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Knight

Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+

If it's not defined anywhere else I'd assume that it's a version of Steward that's tailored to just one person.

A valet is a body-servant that dresses, and shaves the male for whom he works. Laying out clothes, and doing personal services on a day to day basis where as the Steward oversees care for passengers for the duration of a voyage.

[Edit the female version is a Lady's maid]
Knight of Deneb - Reft - 2738 Cyril

Damn you gravity, you win again...

tc tne+ T5++ ru ge++ 3i++ c- au+ pi+ he++ so++ 0201
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

An AI that figures out what you need, before you do, and reminds you of your itinerary.

Alexa, with waldoes.
Old November 7th, 2019, 01:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

There are a few 'skills' that only exist in LBB8 but nowhere else. It's probably more informative to check out MT and see if they got fleshed out.
Old November 7th, 2019, 04:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Dolphin in a Robot Suit Citizen

Well, upon further research, I seem to have found the closest thing to an official skill description. Part 3 of the OG Robots article in JTAS 4. It contains brief writeup of Valet (and, as mentioned by kilemall, the other unique robot skill programs like Firefighting and such).

Quote:
Valet: Permits the robot to act as a body servant, laying out clothes, cooking, running errands, and so on. Requires two light work arms, and general human shape.
Nothing I didn't already know, and certainly not all the information I hoped for, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, this article also states that these unique skills may only be learned at skill-1 for some reason. Doesn't even give you the option for additional levels on the skill table. This rule is soundly ignored in LBB 8 and 101 Robots, where you can easily find robots with Valet-2 and Cargo Handling-3.
Old November 7th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

I'd imagine additional Valet levels allow for the Robot to care for additional people, assisting a couple at level 2, and a family at 3+.

Basically, it goes from "Man-Friday" to "Butler bot" that takes care of a household.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

storuggla Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
I'd imagine additional Valet levels allow for the Robot to care for additional people, assisting a couple at level 2, and a family at 3+.

Basically, it goes from "Man-Friday" to "Butler bot" that takes care of a household.
Robo-Jeeves.