Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 31st, 2019, 10:02 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default The Waffle House Index (Travel Zones)

This could be a whole new way to make Travel Zones.

Quote:
The Waffle House Index, which was started with Hurricane Charley during the 2004 season, assigns color codes to measure the state of areas impacted by a storm.

“Waffle House became almost like a rough guidepost,” former FEMA director Craig Fugate, the creator of the index, told FOX Business. “If it was open and had a full menu we probably weren’t in the worst-hit areas yet.” Such a scenario was marked green. A restaurant that was open with a limited menu – probably wasn’t in the hardest-hit area – and was tagged yellow. Any restaurant that was closed was red.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...w-v6GxVygwrJQc
Old August 31st, 2019, 11:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wbuthod Citizen

The WHI is used for prioritization of resource allocations during restoration of infrastructure and basic services.

TAS ratings are an assessment of risk to off-worlders.
Old September 1st, 2019, 01:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
This could be a whole new way to make Travel Zones.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...w-v6GxVygwrJQc
Having eaten at a few Waffle Houses, I like it. I will need to keep that in mind for the Chili Cafes on El Paso.

Green: Safe for off-worlders.
Yellow: Borderline for off-worlders unless taste buds already damaged.
Red: Eat at your own risk. No samples, No refunds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

giant.robot Citizen

The Waffle House Index has been one of my favorite measures for a long time. It's a close second in ad-hoc measures to my number one favorite, the Economist's Big Mac Index.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 04:41 PM

BRJN Citizen+BRJN Citizen+

Big Mac Index Mk. II: Is there a McDonalds in the town?
Measures population chiefly. Can be skewed, primarily by wealth and secondarily by cultural variables (such as preferred diet).

For county seat towns, getting a McDonalds (or other national fast-food chain) to open a store in your town is a sign that the town has become a small city. When other small towns in the county can also support a McDonalds, the goal is to encourage enough people to patronize your store so that the management recommends the franchise build a second store.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 06:54 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

So if AstroBurgers is open, then we're good to land at the Starport?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
So if AstroBurgers is open, then we're good to land at the Starport?
Only if they have a full menu apparently.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

The Big Mac index is a measure of economic equivalence.

The WHI is a measure of infrastructure and sustainability.

Waffle House, apparently, is noted to being very resilient to local conditions.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:20 PM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Waffle House, apparently, is noted to being very resilient to local conditions.
Waffle House takes well deserved pride in remaining open when other establishments aren't. Especially when the surroundings are themselves scattered, smothered, and covered.

I think there's an equivalent to this for BC/DR in data centers. Since every rack needs HVAC, electricity and network connectivity, and any one loss will shut everything down, the scale is obviously binary.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
Waffle House takes well deserved pride in remaining open when other establishments aren't. Especially when the surroundings are themselves scattered, smothered, and covered.

I think there's an equivalent to this for BC/DR in data centers. Since every rack needs HVAC, electricity and network connectivity, and any one loss will shut everything down, the scale is obviously binary.
well, their's ways and means.

most obvious one is off site backups (preferably somewhere far away enough it cant get caught in the same disaster), that are updated regularly and able to step up at short notice. their might be some data lost, depending on how often the backups are updated, but service can be maintained (to those areas that aren't knee deep in a disaster).

For the individual data centre, a lot of them are sited in areas with relatively low risk of disasters, and the risk of flooding, earthquake, ect is factored into site selection. They do things like multiple power lines running into the centre so damage to one wont knock all of them out, but if the gird goes down, it's mainly a matter of how long the UPS batteries can keep things running, generally its only scaled to provide enough time for a controlled shut down of the system.

so your right that the loss of power or internet connectivity will shut down the site, but that can to a large degree be mitigated against, if you willing to spend the money to do so. Obviously, its up to the company to decide what level of risk is acceptable.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling