Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old September 29th, 2018, 01:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
They already have a separate category for drones. Have had since 2014.
I doubt very much if the FAA is going to allow commercial passenger-carrying aerial vehicles to be operated as drones. There is going to be an on-board pilot, with appropriate licenses and insurance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 30th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I doubt very much if the FAA is going to allow commercial passenger-carrying aerial vehicles to be operated as drones. There is going to be an on-board pilot, with appropriate licenses and insurance.
They've already said otherwise. They've set standards, and it's just a matter of time before someone meets or exceeds them. (They set cargo and passenger drone standards in 2014... Amazon's already operating unmanned drones in several cities for cargo delivery. The passenger standards aren't far off.

Note that the military's drones have set better track records for safe flight and safe landings than just about anything actually flown by people. And the drones are, largely, flown by "insert the nav waypoint and leave it to the autopilot computer." The pilot is really a glorified gunner; he's there to make the fire/no-fire decisions (for geneva convention purposes, as I understand it). Sure, they can take the stick, but with the lag, the autopilot is far better still. ID the target, and in up to 0.5 sec, the bird's locked, and if you arm, the bird fires at near optimal. "Videogame warfare"... NCO's as drone ops. They do not want trained pilots - trained pilots, according the CW4 interviewed, tent to have too many bad habits to unlearn.

Plus, the FAA has approved the autopilot and autolanding systems already for passenger flight. Sure, the pilots can override them, but it's really a bad idea, because the system's better than the pilot. Except that it cannot take verbals directions from ATC.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 30th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Plus, the FAA has approved the autopilot and autolanding systems already for passenger flight. Sure, the pilots can override them, but it's really a bad idea, because the system's better than the pilot. Except that it cannot take verbals directions from ATC.

So we just need to enable the ATC computer to send instructions to the drone/aircraft's computer.

Old October 1st, 2018, 01:03 PM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
What Lake Front Airport? Meigs Field was plowed up by Richey Daley quite a few years ago. I would not hold my breath on trying to get another one in place.

[... ]

Finally, how does operating an electric flying vehicle in the middle of a fast-moving thunderstorm line work?
A very late response due to a crushing work schedule finishing up a big project.

Well, first off, I stand corrected and thank you for reminding me that Miegs is gone. Its been almost 20 years since Ive lived in Chicago and I rarely visit. But I think you take my point - there are viable areas available for this kind of development adjacent to the Loop. Second, I think thou doth protest too much.

Clearly the air-taxi/aerodyne/flying car is not going to work everywhere all the time. AirTaxi 2.0 (whatever that is) will have to address those issues. And Chicago is not unique regarding those concerns. Ive seen haboobs in Khartoum that will choke any mechanism into abject operational failure on the outskirts of the storms. Downpours in New Orleans that flood neighborhoods in minutes and kill power for days, eliminating the convenience of rooftop helipads (and every thing else). So yes, your point is pertinent but were talking about nascent, emerging technology - not a Proposition to be voted on.

Take Los Angeles, as mentioned up thread. Fair weather, massive sprawl, very few skyscrapers, gnarly congestion, public transit that does little to help the public. Air taxis would be an amazing development there. When it takes over an hour to go five or six miles on a Sunday afternoon you daydream about flying cars. Having said that, it will require a massive outlay of investment and promotion - and a lot of maverick consumers - before its viable. But I guarantee if it was on offer in Los Angeles the service would be overwhelmed immediately.

Although I cant really comment on auto pilot vs Human pilot, I think like any new tech it will be limited in its application and availability to start and then grow as soon as it can. And I suspect the odds of an air-taxi (whatever that ends up being) crashing into high storey windows and raining shards of glass on people below is less likely than icicles calving off rooftops in the Gold Coast and killing pedestrians. Which, as Im sure you know, has actually happened.

I wish it werent Uber leading this charge but I feel its time for this to happen. We completely destroyed light rail and effective public transit in this country and this might be how we can get to sustainable and responsible transit systems. For the elite at first obviously, but it could become ubiquitous before you know it.
Old October 1st, 2018, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
So we just need to enable the ATC computer to send instructions to the drone/aircraft's computer.

the issue there is that ATC currently isn't automated at all. Still guys at scopes with radios.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 02:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Another thing about Los Angeles: almost the entire region is under the Terminal Controlled Air Space of one or another airport.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
Another thing about Los Angeles: almost the entire region is under the Terminal Controlled Air Space of one or another airport.
So is most of Anchorage and Seattle - but TCA's are inverted wedding cakes in shape. There are large portions of all three that are clear to 1000' AGL.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 27th, 2019, 10:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wellis Citizen

Quote:
So is most of Anchorage and Seattle - but TCA's are inverted wedding cakes in shape. There are large portions of all three that are clear to 1000' AGL.
You might find this video on helicopter commuting to be interesting. It was something I didn't know about for New York City: https://youtu.be/8nbz5VFilxY

So to me, something like this might come up again.