Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old January 15th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++
Default zhodani 1000 dton missile frigate

located here. quick-build unarmored but double-hulled warship, meant for leading missile assaults. short range and minimal crew, not meant for long term deployments. combined jump/maneuver drive for minimal fuel use, expensive but allows better logistical lighter support.
Old January 15th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Septic Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Septic

Hey! This is really sharp! It fits in very well with both my concept of Zhodani design and philosophy. I have an adventure already conceived of, and will get it into Evernote in a jiffy. Thanx Flykiller. It's in my campaign as of now.

IMTU-UWP
Septic 0602 t5,529358-D S kkó hi+ as- va dr+ so zh vi 733
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:17 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Love it, Fly.

Having the working and living spaces physically segregated by caste is a great touch. The nobles and intendants never even have to see or speak in person to the proles.

The communal living arrangements for the proles is delightfully odd too. It suggests some rather different societies and behaviors in the Consulate.

The whole design is both familiar and strange, just as any good "alien human" design should be.

One tweeny-weeny quibble. No small craft? Not a single launch or g-carrier?
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
It's in my campaign as of now.
that's what I hope to hear. you're welcome. enjoy, and good gaming.

Quote:
The nobles and intendants never even have to see or speak in person to the proles.
well the "interrogation" bay is right next to the "health bay", they would kind of view them as being two sides of the same person - mental/physical - so they'd see the proles on occasion at least.

Quote:
The communal living arrangements for the proles is delightfully odd too.
I tried to envision a mentally open society, and a communal living arrangement just seemed logical. but more than that I envisioned them all as being paired, perhaps even cloned into pairs, both the proles and intendants and nobles, and living and working as pairs including family pairs. what better way to buttress stability ....

Quote:
One tweeny-weeny quibble. No small craft? Not a single launch or g-carrier?
no room. suppose I could force it, but then the boat wouldn't have the same character. in any case it's not meant to be a long-endurance patrol boat with a ground presence or secondary function, just a fleet task force missile boat that otherwise is portside.

but if anyone wants to put in a launch the graphic is done in mspaint and anyone can make any changes they like.
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:37 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
no room. suppose I could force it, but then the boat wouldn't have the same character. in any case it's not meant to be a long-endurance patrol boat with a ground presence or secondary function, just a fleet task force missile boat that otherwise is portside.

Ahhh... understood. It's never meant to be "alone". It always works out of proper bases or is deployed in squadrons/flotillas complete with various auxiliaries, tenders, etc.

I've never really mulled over widespread cloning vis a vis the Zhodani. Then again, I've never really mulled over widespread cloning vis a vis any Major Race in the OTU. Producing more tractable proles would mean the Thought Police would have less work on the hands.

Have you read Cherryh's Cyteen series? Suddenly I'm reminded of the azi...
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Have you read Cherryh's Cyteen series? Suddenly I'm reminded of the azi...
probably, but long ago, can't recall. I have one of her books autographed by her, have to find it again. do remember reading her gate/fires/well series, really liked it.
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:54 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Having the working and living spaces physically segregated by caste is a great touch. The nobles and intendants never even have to see or speak in person to the proles.
Which is rather out of character for the way the Zhodani organize both their military AND their society.

As a ship on the Core Road, or developed by the survivor states post Wave, it hits that variant/isolated chord reasonably well. It does not fit my view of the Consulate, though.

Classic Zhodani ships also follow some exterior architectural patterns, one of which is that they are not vertically symmetrical. They tend toward being wider across the lower decks and to the rear.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)

Last edited by GypsyComet; January 16th, 2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:24 AM

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

At the workplace, segregation is by mental state and distance.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Which is rather out of character for the way the Zhodani organize both their military AND their society.
is the consulate uniform?
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:55 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
is the Consulate uniform?
Compared to Imperial space? Yes.
Compared to Aslan or K'kree space? Probably no. The Zhodani are confidently mono-cultural, while these two are militantly mono-cultural.

The Zhodani had a 95% die off in recorded history and were not hugely diverse to begin with. They did not have a Long Night to engender isolation-based cultural drift. They do not tolerate isolationists or get-away colonies. There is nothing in their materials to suggest that Zhodani cultural variations are more than recent environmental adaptions and a Practical/Mystical spectrum.

Cutting off contact between Nobles and Proles is a step toward unhealthy society. Any Noble group caught doing such things would be held under suspicion, and any Proles found to be avoiding Nobles will be handed to the Thought Police for isolationist deviancy, potential depression or other disorder, and possible investigation for a relation to any crimes of passion recently committed.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)