Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default Rifleman-6 built into the scope

A rifle with the Rileman-6 skill built right into the gun ...
Quote:
What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range.

Tracking Point charges from $22,500 to $27,500 for the different versions of its bolt-action rifle, which has a five-round magazine using .300 or .338 caliber ammunition.
CNN - $27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Bad luck for your rookie sniper that gets hit by an EMP, or the sight gets fried some other way, or their batteries run out.
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Bad luck for your rookie sniper that gets hit by an EMP, or the sight gets fried some other way, or their batteries run out.
Bad luck indeed. Then he'd be useless in a fight (assuming no other relevant competencies). But at least he'd have been useful up until his electronics got fried; without the rifle he would have been useless all along.

Hans
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Never totally useless, Hans. After all, you can always use him to draw fire........
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Never totally useless, Hans. After all, you can always use him to draw fire........
Yes, but going into that would distract from the point I was trying to make, so I put in that assumption.

Hans
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

I am no military genius, but I agree with Hans on this one.

I suspect that an army that can turn out 'inexperienced snipers' as fast as it can indoctrinate raw recruits has a tactical advantage over an army that must invest years of special training to deliver a few good men with that level of marksmanship.

The issue is not 'elite sniper' vs 'raw recruit with super gun' ...
... the issue is 'common grunt' vs 'common grunt with super gun that lets him shoot like a sniper'.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
For mil use just shield it and use betavoltaic batteries.

See, that's not hard when you think for a couple seconds to solve those problems.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

This is a great tool, but would have limitations

The shooter still has to re-align the crosshairs with the dot. That, with a difficult target is going to be difficult. Also, at 1,000 m, the target can move significantly, to include changes in direction or acceleration, in the time of flight of a round.

I would say this might enable a trained rifleman to achieve an advantage to hit, over a telescopic sight or electronic sight. But not a huge one.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

It's an old concept. I think Dave mentioned it on the Dragon's Bane RP thread. I think the earliest Traveller iteration were the high energy weapon sights on BD, predating this thing by thirty years.
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
This is a great tool, but would have limitations

The shooter still has to re-align the crosshairs with the dot. That, with a difficult target is going to be difficult. Also, at 1,000 m, the target can move significantly, to include changes in direction or acceleration, in the time of flight of a round.

I would say this might enable a trained rifleman to achieve an advantage to hit, over a telescopic sight or electronic sight. But not a huge one.
In addition, the wind measurement is only where the rifle is. Not downrange.