Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old September 26th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+
Default TL 8/9 air taxis

CNET article, some good images that could be used for TL 8/9 or so (or higher - switch to grav). I use this sort of thing for inspiration (and then never actually use the stuff - too much time in my own head!)

https://www.cnet.com/news/uber-air-f...CAD-03-10aaj8j

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old September 27th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Regarding FAA regs, may be less onerous than anticipated. The use of camera drones for film and television has, erm, skyrocketed over the last several years and the FAA was surprisingly quick to require certification, knowledge of no-flight areas, etc, for non-aviator civilians. In fact, most producers won’t hire a drone operator without FAA ceritifications now. So it’s possible these regs for tiny, operated drones could lay the foundation for something like air-taxis in the near future.

But clearly the tech expense and possibly anemic customer base are the big hurdles.
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
But clearly the tech expense and possibly anemic customer base are the big hurdles.

Agreed. This is just going to result in more heliports and not people using a flying version of Uber or Lyft to get home from a nightclub.
Old September 27th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

there are electric aircraft in the works that are car sized, with ducted fans instead of rotors. Those are unlikely to be heliport-limited.

And, until such become available, more heliports aren't likely; once they are, more heliports are unneeded.

We might see a return of the airships, tho', replacing helos for tourist flights. Electric zeppelins are now doable. Carbon fiber's lighter than aluminum for the strength, AND can contain helium directly, rather than requiring internal bags.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 27th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
there are electric aircraft in the works that are car sized, with ducted fans instead of rotors. Those are unlikely to be heliport-limited.

They're still not going to takeoff and land on city streets or in parking lots.

Call 'em heliports, call 'em LZs, call 'em whatever you want. They're still going to use specific designated areas for safety and flight control reasons. The app on your phone will call one to a nearby "heliport", but it won't call on to the curb outside the bar.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
They're still not going to takeoff and land on city streets or in parking lots.

Call 'em heliports, call 'em LZs, call 'em whatever you want. They're still going to use specific designated areas for safety and flight control reasons. The app on your phone will call one to a nearby "heliport", but it won't call on to the curb outside the bar.
Sorry, but I disagree vehemently. The consumer demand, once the availability is there, is going to be for curbside. And the FAA will get "informed" by the legislators to make it happen. (Much like Sport Pilot licensing - it wasn't the FAA's idea. Congress-critters told them to make it happen - at least according to late Sen. Ted Stevens - he didn't want to have to give up his license when he could no longer pass a flight physical. If you have a driver's license, you can get a sport pilot license. Did I mention I have spent several evenings drinking with Sen. Stevens.)

Plus, the guys making the aircar are also making it GPS & ladar autopilot-only, except for the last 15 feet of altitude. Also, nifty thing about thrust-lift - the last 10'-20' are the most efficient. Put turn signals on it, and drive it in ground effect, and it's the smoothest road-car around.

The primary reasons for heliports are that Rotors need extensive clearance both for operation and parking, and rotors are thunderously loud; ducted fans are far quieter, have a 0-clearance need, and are relatively quiet.

The airblast isn't all that bad, especially if it lands in street then pulls over while in ground effect. Add a plenum, and the outside air-blast is much reduced.

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Alaska one can actually get road-plates for a GEV. (I only know because I've seen them on one, going down the road in Kenai. Same kind of plates as snowmobiles.)

Uber's thing is a VTOL-plane - and that's going to need heliports, sure — noise factor alone, just like the V-22 Osprey — but once a personal air vehicle can land in a parking spot without waking up the neighborhood, political pressure will eliminate the heliport as a requirement.

Remember: it's rich and powerful folk who will be buying them, and they tend to get their political way in most systems.

The safety concessions might be an autopilot tied into central flight control. Essentially, FAA computer-run drones with passenger seats. The Chinese ehang passenger drone is already in use in China. 20 minutes/charge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbGwxYiWug (company)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Hm-rmLQcU (US NBC)
Not ducted, but duct those fans, you increase thrust and safety. (at a minor weight and hefty cost penalty)
NBC notes that Dubai is in fact going for a self-flying taxi service using these.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.