Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old June 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Ganidirsii O'Flynn Citizen
Thumbs up

STAND TO AND ATTEND, YE BLOODY LAYABOUTS!!!!

With all this wonderful discourse about the ressurection of T2K, and 2300AD I beg the question, ladies and gentlemen, what of that most capital of games, Space:1889?

Why, dash it all, has there been no discussion of Red Captains, the Astutapes, and the exploration of the Yucatan? Where are those extrordinary servants of Her Royal and Imperial Majesty, our Queen? I should think that with our most Modern media, we should find ourselves nearly aflutter with anticipation for words of glory found in the laboratory, the skies, the seas. Yet we've had none. NONE I tell you.
Your diligent correspondance on this matter is most urgently requested.

With thanks, Your Ob'nt Sev't,
Reginald Stamford-Drake

Captain, 2nd Bat'n, 1st Martian Rifles (the Parhoons)
at the Explorer's Club, Parhoon, Crown Colony of Syrtis Major
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

trader jim Citizen
Wink

Funny you should mention 1889!!! Even "ol" Trader Jim has the WHOLE set!!!...What a HOOT!!!
I say, old chap, Ill have a Gin and Tonic, say what??....Bloody Wogs...(i never figured out what a wog was) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by trader jim:
Funny you should mention 1889!!! Even "ol" Trader Jim has the WHOLE set!!!...What a HOOT!!!
I say, old chap, Ill have a Gin and Tonic, say what??....Bloody Wogs...(i never figured out what a wog was) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old British saying, IIRC: "The wogs begin at Calais."

1889 is a blast, but I don't think Marc Miller owns it. I think that honor belong to Frank Chadwick. Heliograph recently ran a reprint, but didn't make anything new for it.
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Ganidirsii O'Flynn Citizen
Wouldn't be so bad, but with Pirates o/t Caribbean and League of Extrordanary Gentlemen coming out, it's got my jones for a bit of the Raj up...And THEN AMC showed "Zulu" the other day...yeesh! [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]

BTW, if'n you want some SERIOUSLY inspirational reading for 1889, try SM Stirling's new AltHist book, "The Peshwar Lancers"... oh, man what a kick! Try a British Lancers officer in a sabre duel with a Russian Okhrana operative (and Very Bad Man) on the top of a dirigible over the Afghan Frontier...WHOO-HOO
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

vegascat Citizen
I do expect a video game to be out soon based on the L.E.G.

Space 1889 was enjoyable. No elves, some fantasy, some sci-fi, manners a priority, and flying sailing ships.
It was fun to play.
I am still waiting for a movie to come out based on the Red Captains.
Old June 26th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
Old British saying, IIRC: "The wogs begin at Calais."

1889 is a blast, but I don't think Marc Miller owns it. I think that honor belong to Frank Chadwick. Heliograph recently ran a reprint, but didn't make anything new for it.
Hey, I'm about the only registered user of the 1889 Character Sheet Program... At least according to the author.

It was fun, and it was almost the house engine....

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:06 AM

Rodina Citizen
I played one brief 1889 campaign during college -- and we even got our Professor of British History to play in our sessions twice -- I had a character who was an adventurer under a contract with Pear's Soap (the first company to really do advertising in the modern sense -- their most famous campaign was showing pro-Pear's Soap grafitti in the most unlikely places... in central Africa, etc.).

So, my character carried around a large set of chalk, paint and a large camera -- so he could cruise the canals of Mars and draw up giant "Pears' Soap Is the Best!" adverts wherever he happened to be adventuring.
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Gallowglass Citizen
Loved the setting, loved Sky Galleons of Mars even more (the board game of Arial Combat associated with it), I'm mean I played it regularly for a couple of years and I normally hate wargames, but the 1889 rules I always found rather clunky and increasingly I either use my Traveller hybrid (CT/MT with bits of T4) or BRP (Cthulhu by Gaslight has sooo many possibilities).

After GDW dropped the game it lay fallow for a while, then it was licensed to Heliograph for the reprints a few years back (thanks to which I have replaced all the RPG books, although I have never yet got a copy of Soldier's Companion) and they also published a lot of fine stuff in the Transactions of the Royal Martian Geographical Society (TRMGS) magazine, but that license lapsed / was dropped a couple of years backs.

But I believe that it is all still owned by it's creator, the inestimable Mr Frank Chadwick, and from discussions at the Yahoo Groups 1889 list, I have got the impression that whilst he might be interested in licensing it to a suitable publishers, he is NOT interested in a d20 version.

I heartily recommend the Yahoo group btw - generally very civilized and scarily well informed bunch and one of the more active lists on the net.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Mr. Gallowglass!

I'm quite interested in hearing what your particular blend of Traveller rules is. Please post a summary in IMTU or Traveller5 or CT or Lone Star... or wherever you think appropriate for that kind of post.

Thanks!

Rob
Tools Link
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:39 AM

Redleg58 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Ganidiirsi O'Flynn:
Wouldn't be so bad, but with Pirates o/t Caribbean and League of Extrordanary Gentlemen coming out, it's got my jones for a bit of the Raj up...And THEN AMC showed "Zulu" the other day...yeesh! [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]

BTW, if'n you want some SERIOUSLY inspirational reading for 1889, try SM Stirling's new AltHist book, "The Peshwar Lancers"... oh, man what a kick! Try a British Lancers officer in a sabre duel with a Russian Okhrana operative (and Very Bad Man) on the top of a dirigible over the Afghan Frontier...WHOO-HOO
Ah the good old days! Have the whole set also
and over a 100 Canal Martians (still don't know why lol). It was and is a great system! I got re-inspired by the release of "The Four Feathers" so I sunk back in before you.....No need to feel bad... [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]
"To us, the Carmpan watchers, it appeared that you had carried the crushing weight of war through all your history, knowing that this hour would strike, when nothing less awful would serve.-Third Historian, Berserker