Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old November 21st, 2002, 07:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
ElliottWJames Citizen
Lightbulb

I see that the CotI supports discussion boards for 2300AD and Twilight 2000 - haven't play that since I was mobilized for the Gulf last time round - but there isn't a forum for Space 1889. Is this one see should petition the powers-that-be to add another board, or has interest wained?
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

dancha Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott James:
I see that the CotI supports discussion boards for 2300AD and Twilight 2000 - haven't play that since I was mobilized for the Gulf last time round - but there isn't a forum for Space 1889. Is this one see should petition the powers-that-be to add another board, or has interest wained?
I "second the motion" --er, I sign the petition, um, I strongly support the idea...

Go Space: 1889!
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shadowdancer Citizen
Have you seen the previews for the new Disney animated movie, "Treasure Planet." It's "Treasure Island" set in outer space, but the ship's look like sailing ships from the 1700s-1800s. When I first saw them, it made my think of "Space 1889."
\"A good Traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.\" -- Lau Tsu<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68150\" target=\"_blank\">Traveller T20 Tales of the Bray Keaven story hour</a>
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:04 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
Have you seen the previews for the new Disney animated movie, "Treasure Planet." It's "Treasure Island" set in outer space, but the ship's look like sailing ships from the 1700s-1800s.
I saw the ads. It appears to do violence to both Stevenson and space opera, but that is typical of Disney.

Quote:
When I first saw them, it made my think of "Space 1889."
*SHUDDER*
**RETCH**
No wonder Space1889 didn't go farther, if that was the popular opinion.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

siefertma2 Citizen
Send a message via AIM to siefertma2
Quote:
Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
Have you seen the previews for the new Disney animated movie, "Treasure Planet." It's "Treasure Island" set in outer space, but the ship's look like sailing ships from the 1700s-1800s. When I first saw them, it made my think of "Space 1889."
I've seen some the previews. The overall look of the movie reminds me of the novel "Henry Martyn" by L. Neil Smith right down to the Man O' Wars in space.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert
Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:49 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
If FFE aquires Space 1889 it wouldn't be quite fair to bring this up, so while I can let me plug Forgotten Futures.

Same era, a little different approach. A ton of good resource material, and all free.

http://www.ffutures.demon.co.uk/ff.htm
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old November 22nd, 2002, 04:17 PM

manley_t Citizen
Yes, I shall slap my big hand onto Unble Bob and endorse his Forgotten Future statement -- if you're into the style of gaming that Space 1889 attempted to capture then you'll love Forgotten Futures. It's not just one campaign world; and though it does have a 'system' it's rather amorphous.

Over time I think I've problaby d/l most everything I could find for Fogotten Futures.

Never having owned Space 1889 (did the old dos game on a 386 years go -- but it sucked) I'm not sure how the game system worked (though hear'tell it sucked harder'n a....well you get the picture).

But, when the D20 system hit the shelves I started working on a FFE/Space 1889 style D20 game -- basically following the old Verne style of science fiction, extrapolating for what they thought their end of the century would be like.

Haven't gotten that far in it beyond the history and some basic rules-sets. But, T20 wasn't out then

I think it would be QUITE easy to create a T20 hybrid and in fact am kicking myself for not having thought of it until hearing mention here.
Big Tim<br />-------<br />\"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.\"<br /><br />\"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.\"
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:44 PM

Solo Citizen
Cool

Actually, I think that Castle Falkenstein does this whole genre with a bit of style and a really good system.

Take a look:

http://www.talsorian.com/cfindex.shtml

-S.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 12:26 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Forgotten Futures, like Space 1889 avoids the "modern" (or so it seems to me) fantasy of Castle Falkenstein. One of its strengths are the detailed worldbooks packaged with the Victorian and Edwardian novels those worlds came from.

It is rather like the difference between Richard Lester's Three Musketeers and Disney. The latter is colorful and approachable, but the former has real depth and understanding of the melieu.

And I concur that the FF system is very free-form, perhaps too free. OTOH the more I hear about D20 the more it sounds like it was written by Government Lawyers.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 04:43 AM

Elliot Citizen
Space 1889 was/is Frank Chadwick's baby and therefore the copyright went with him. As far as I am aware it is still in print by company sounding like Helios or Helix (which I assume is a FC company). It was certainly on sale in Orc's Nest in London last time I looked.

As one of the few people that bought and played Space 1889 for more than a year I thought it was quite good, the system played well and that (surprisingly for GDW) it was fairly glitch free. I do remember that as a niche game it was too expensive for many players.