Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
jasper Citizen
How many of your players muster out before 6 terms?
I had one player nearly freak when she had to take a third term. She griped she wasn't going play any old characters.
Most of the other players are still under forty.
Has this happen to you?
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Flynn's Blog
Flynn Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Flynn
Yeah, most of my players rarely continue to generate a character past four terms (under T20, anyway). I do have one that went for quite a bit, but he plays to the rules more than the concept, it seems. (He's still fun to game with, but he's also the one that will push the envelope when he can. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Hasta,
Flynn
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Talking

Rarely by choice. The only young characters I recall our group playing were the result of failing to re-enlist.

I did raise a stink whenever I had a character forced to re-enlist (as must have been the case for the example above), just as a matter of getting into character [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean here "I" (the character) am, ready to move on with my life (i.e. adventure) and they "force" me to commit to another 4 years, if I'm lucky and don't get hurt or killed, and for what, a chance of a few more creds?

Generally I'm more comfortable playing close to my real age and that has changed considerably over the 25 odd years of this grand old game. Still I like the mental exercise of occasionally playing outside the scope of my real hide.

Heck, right now I'm just jealous that you are actually playing with live people [img]smile.gif[/img] so go with the flow and enjoy the game and (not that I expect you wouldn't) let the players do the same. If that means one of them wants to play a green 20 something when the rest are grizzled vets of several decades so be it. Sure your job might be a bit harder, keeping the whole crew active and involved but it will be worth it. If you're stuck for ideas ask the player how they see the group dynamic. What can their youthful and inexperienced character bring to the group?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Cool

I remember, five terms ago in the real world, thinking that playing anyone with over four terms of experience would be a waste of time as the character would be old, infirm, boring even.

Well some of that is right [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Vargas Citizen
I've always played characters with ~4 terms under their belt as I thought it was a good balance between age and skill accumulation.
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:07 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
4 terms here, too, normally.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM

Straybow Citizen
The CT aging rolls are debilitating, to the point of modeling Medieval life expectancy rather than post-modern humans who expect to live 100 years or more with med tech we can barely imagine.

In games I played aging was handled somewhat differently: each age bracket (4-7 terms, 8-11 terms) could only generate one reduction maximum for each stat. We also had ratings, so that you could get promotion skills without being an officer, and a few other ways to get skill. Retirement at 5-6 terms was advantageous, but still we tended to get antsy and drop out after 3-4.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

sadismo Citizen
It is surprising to me that many of you end character generation after 3-4 terms. I have been playing Traveller then MegaTraveller for over 20 years and I can't honestly remember any of my characters or other players' characters getting out after any less than 5 or 6 terms. The only exception to that rule would be forced muster-outs due to injury.

I think perhaps that it may be a result of our early adaptation of the alternate character generation offered in Mercenary, for example. When I look at examples of basic Traveller characters with 5 terms and maybe 7 or 8 skill levels, and I compare them with a 5 term character generated under the advanced systems (ie, 20+ skill levels not being uncommon), I can understand why our gaming group likes the alternate system better.

As far as aging system is concerned, I too look upon the matrix as set out being very Draconian, especially considering the highly advanced nature of everyday life and relatively easy access to health care on most mid-tech or better worlds. I think that the initial aging crisis should be pushed back at least 2 to 3 terms, if not more, since it is almost certain that the average useful lifespan of an Imperial citizen would have to be at least 90-100 yrs (and I'm being pessimistic here), since I think the average lifespan now is somewhere between 72 and 76 yrs in the Western world. (And it can only get better, right?). I know somebody's probably going to take exception to that comment......

My 2 credits....
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
I'm of the opinion that the CT aging rolls, like the survival rolls, were a part of the game within the game. They are meant to make you balance the choices of experience (skills) and fitness (abilities).

It helps to keep the party more level when you have a diverse age range by balancing the two against each other.

Then also you can go for physical improvement as you extend your career to offset some of that aging.

If you start messing with the aging rolls then you change the dynamics, same with granting more skills. It can be done, if its what you want and you strive for balance or don't mind the shift and its effects on the game.

So I don't see the aging table as a reflection of the health or aging of the population in general so much as the result of the dangerous life choices made by that rare breed, player characters

Live fast and die hard. They probably could have called it something other than "aging" I guess, like premature aging.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:07 AM

clementk Citizen
From my recent (2003+) Traveller experience 3-4 terms (counting University / Graduate / Doctorate as seperate terms for example) tops in either CT/MT or T20. In T20 this produces 5-7 levels usually. And Asu started at age 14 per the CT Entertainer rules.

From what I can remember from before 2003 (I didn't actually play Traveller between '84 or so until 2003) 6 terms at the most. My TW2K characters were under 40...most under 30. Never actually played 2300 or Space 1889.

Casey