Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old May 12th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
richard gorman Citizen
Default Any advice for a new Traveller publisher?

I have created a highly detailed Science Fiction setting rooted primarily in the Classic Traveller/Mongoose 1st Edition rules. It's rather large: Volume 1 (Green Zone), 150+ pages - Core background 49 Subsectors and setting essentials; Volume 2 (Amber Zone), 40-50 pages additional background; Volume 3 (Red Zone), 90+ pages of secrets, mysteries and plot elements for the referee only - oh and a nice big colour hex map drawn out using Worldographer. I've added plenty of stock art and formatted it according to my player's express preferences. i.e. Simple legible font, no watermark, single column, no tiny text...perhaps fading eyesight is now a factor!). Now...

I'd like to to stick this up on Drive Thru at some point with each Volume available separately and the big map as a graphic download/poster - if I can work out an effective way to format it. I would like to bill it as compatible with Classic Traveller and Cepheus Engine (which it is) and I've downloaded the Open Games Licence from the Traveller Wiki and updated it to FFE as advised. The setting is not in any way related to the 3rd Imperium setting - it covers a few centuries of colonial expansion out from Earth.

1. Can I go ahead 'as is' and stick these on Drive Thru' or are there any more hoops, legal or system-technical, I need to jump through?

2. Any advice on pricing - it was a lot of work but I don't want to rip anyone off. Naming no names but some of the earlier official licenced Traveller stuff on Drive thru seems a tad expensive even after a mark down from an even more alarming price.

3. The campaign includes several new alien species which, as I wanted to preserve their uniqueness, I'm afraid I had to sketch out myself. The sketches are good enough to show the reader what they need to know but I'm no Moebius. Are there any serious Traveller art aficionados who'd be up for trying to improve on my efforts?

4. What's the best way to let fellow grognards know of its existence? I confess a personal aversion to social media in most of it forms.

I have authored, produced and sold RPGs before (Time for a gratuitous plug methinks - Horizon Games: Horizon Fantasy Role Playing Rules and the unique Sulhan Fantasy setting. The full version might give you an idea of the kind of scale of Traveller setting I'm envisaging here. There are related taster freebies you can just swag for nowt if you want.) but this is my first venture in good old d6 science fiction. As CoTI is clearly the font of all wisdom in such matters I'd greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Cheers all.
Old May 12th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I would check with Mongoose Matt before posting anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old May 12th, 2019, 06:01 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

As I understand it, you can't be using the term Traveller including Classic Traveller, the Imperium, or any of that proprietary stuff that Mongoose has and I'm assuming Marc retains for his own version.

You gotta stay CE clean- that's the point of it, being able to use the system and general components and mostly backwards compatibility without the IP content.
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:10 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Do it for YOUR pleasure first and foremost, because from a financial perspective, if you are like most independent publishers, you would earn more money mowing the neighbor’s yard every week.

There are a few that earn some good money, but most earn below minimum wage dividing the hours invested by the money earned.

I just wanted you to have realistic expectations for a new product entering a competitive market.
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:44 PM

richard gorman Citizen
Default Ta all.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll take it on board. I did pitch this on a one pager to Mongoose but they thought it was too close to their existing lines - although I thought there were huge differences myself. Anyway I'll probably stick to Cepheus Engine and keep it cheap. Don't worry I know there's no bucks in this I was really just wanting to 'get it out there' without losing out too much. Ta again I'll let you know when the formatting/copy checking microwave goes ping and its ready to serve. Happy Trails.
Old May 13th, 2019, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

You cannot claim compatibility with Classic Traveller without either a license from Marc or a total price of $0. See the FFE web policy.

Most who care already know CE is CT-portable-on-the-fly. (IE, not truly compatible, but close enough that you can do it at use time without much prep.)

The MGT1 STL licence is expired. (The content is open, but the compatibility mark is no longer allowed.)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 14th, 2019, 03:01 PM

richard gorman Citizen
Default One last thing...(I hope)

Ta Aramis. I'll reference Cepheus only. The game was actually conceived in MGT 1 but includes tweaks to emphasise an 'age of sail' theme and allow things like pursuit jumps, convoy jumps and tacking manoeuvres in jump space so I'm happy enough not to claim compatibility.

Just to check I have included the FFE Open Game licence from the Traveller Wiki on the end. Is this still needed or even a liability given that there is no actual reference to it in the books?

Sorry to be a pain with questions you guys have probably been over before but I really don't want to tread on anyone's toes. Thanks again for steering me right.
Old May 14th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard gorman View Post
I have created a highly detailed Science Fiction setting rooted primarily in the Classic Traveller/Mongoose 1st Edition rules. It's rather large: Volume 1 (Green Zone), 150+ pages - Core background 49 Subsectors and setting essentials; Volume 2 (Amber Zone), 40-50 pages additional background; Volume 3 (Red Zone), 90+ pages of secrets, mysteries and plot elements for the referee only - oh and a nice big colour hex map drawn out using Worldographer. I've added plenty of stock art and formatted it according to my player's express preferences. i.e. Simple legible font, no watermark, single column, no tiny text...perhaps fading eyesight is now a factor!). Now...

I'd like to to stick this up on Drive Thru at some point with each Volume available separately and the big map as a graphic download/poster - if I can work out an effective way to format it. I would like to bill it as compatible with Classic Traveller and Cepheus Engine (which it is) and I've downloaded the Open Games Licence from the Traveller Wiki and updated it to FFE as advised. The setting is not in any way related to the 3rd Imperium setting - it covers a few centuries of colonial expansion out from Earth.

1. Can I go ahead 'as is' and stick these on Drive Thru' or are there any more hoops, legal or system-technical, I need to jump through?

2. Any advice on pricing - it was a lot of work but I don't want to rip anyone off. Naming no names but some of the earlier official licenced Traveller stuff on Drive thru seems a tad expensive even after a mark down from an even more alarming price.

3. The campaign includes several new alien species which, as I wanted to preserve their uniqueness, I'm afraid I had to sketch out myself. The sketches are good enough to show the reader what they need to know but I'm no Moebius. Are there any serious Traveller art aficionados who'd be up for trying to improve on my efforts?

4. What's the best way to let fellow grognards know of its existence? I confess a personal aversion to social media in most of it forms.

I have authored, produced and sold RPGs before (Time for a gratuitous plug methinks - Horizon Games: Horizon Fantasy Role Playing Rules and the unique Sulhan Fantasy setting. The full version might give you an idea of the kind of scale of Traveller setting I'm envisaging here. There are related taster freebies you can just swag for nowt if you want.) but this is my first venture in good old d6 science fiction. As CoTI is clearly the font of all wisdom in such matters I'd greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Cheers all.
I recommend asking this question on the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/travellerrpg/

Shalom,
M.
Old May 14th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard gorman View Post
Ta Aramis. I'll reference Cepheus only. The game was actually conceived in MGT 1 but includes tweaks to emphasise an 'age of sail' theme and allow things like pursuit jumps, convoy jumps and tacking manoeuvres in jump space so I'm happy enough not to claim compatibility.

Just to check I have included the FFE Open Game licence from the Traveller Wiki on the end. Is this still needed or even a liability given that there is no actual reference to it in the books?

Sorry to be a pain with questions you guys have probably been over before but I really don't want to tread on anyone's toes. Thanks again for steering me right.
Using the material: Allowed. Uses OGL.
Claiming compatibility: disallowed; requires a valid STL; The Traveller STL has been terminated. CE has a different STL.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:04 PM

richard gorman Citizen
Default Dumb Question Time

What's an STL? (Guessing it's a Standard Trading Licence or similar and not connected to Schottky Transistor Logic in any way...) If it's a licence where do I grab the Cepheus STL? Is it something I can just download and slap on or do I have to ask someone (Mr Kemp?) nicely?

If it's a serious issue I might just put this lot up for next to nowt under 'd6 science fiction' although it might not reach many people and seems a bit of a waste.

Thanks Maksim-Smelchak, I'm afraid I don't do facebook but I do appreciate the help.

I feel I owe Aramis and others a shot of scotch from the Lone Star bar for the help.