Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Old January 11th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I am having some problems with the characterization of the government as being extremely corrupt. If that is the case, then the corruption goes all the way down the line. How much did the ship have to pay each and every Protector and custom official that came onboard the ship, in cash, to perform their duties? How much over and above official charges is the ship paying for port facility use? How much extra are the cargo-handlers unloading cargo asking for in cash before they move anything? How much over and above official costs did it cost the ship in cash to clear port quarantine (or did if have to do that)? If you are claiming extreme corruption, then the ship and characters should be getting hit for cash at every turn when they have any contact with the government.
Not in this case (link). The present government has been in place for fifteen years, a Charismatic Dictatorship following a Revolution against the prior Oligarchy. The Law Level of 10 is supposed to apply to everyone, so any Protector or other official asking for bribes would be at risk of imprisonment and re-education. The ongoing public relations campaign is very effective; most of the populace believes in the high Law Level as necessary for an orderly society, and believes that the Leader is doing an excellent job. The corruption only shows in the "upper classes" being able to dodge the laws.

EDIT: I should emphasize, the Leader is a Charismatic Dictator. His government has the support of the population. Most of the people of Nexus system truly believe that they have a good government, that the high Law Level is necessary, and that violating the many laws and regulations is not only illegal but actually immoral. Most natives would turn you in to the nearest Protectors if they observed any law violation. This applies somewhat less to natives who have had extensive contact with off-worlders and off-world ideas, and hardly at all to immigrants who were not raised in this culture. The result is, many of the "upper classes" are actually immigrants who have moved here and manipulated the system to their own benefits. (It has never actually been established that the Leader is really a native...)

EDIT 2: And I agree with what I think is the point you were making, that eventually this sort of corruption will infect a whole society from the top down, as everyone learns what is going on above them and wants their share. I'm just saying that hasn't happened yet in Nexus.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; January 11th, 2014 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: link
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
Victors Dex and Int are nearly off the charts. [Victor is anything but "slow" or clumsy.]
Which reminds me, we talked a lot about your guy's background, but I still don't have a character sheet from you with stats and skills for approval. Did you build him with one of the books, rolling through terms, or did you just use point-buy, or what?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Which reminds me, we talked a lot about your guy's background, but I still don't have a character sheet from you with stats and skills for approval. Did you build him with one of the books, rolling through terms, or did you just use point-buy, or what?
Ack! Thought I sent it. Rolled the Stats and combo picked and rolled skills from Merchants and Navy. Will PM it tonight.

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Ack! Thought I sent it. Rolled the Stats and combo picked and rolled skills from Merchants and Navy. Will PM it tonight.
Thanks!

You should also eventually post here in OOC (and I will copy to Wiki) a "public facts" character sheet of what the other PCs would know about your guy, including whatever background/cover story he chooses to tell them.

Maybe not yet, as all they know of him is "some shadowy guy that Kalos knows" and what he has said in conference comm, but at least after they have all met up and presumably had some off-screen time for BSing and getting to know each other, they should get some description and idea of who the guy is.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Quote:

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Does anybody have more questions or suggestions for the investigator, Heather Dalton, or should we move along to other activities and then get to the meeting w Mr. Blake?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

ErianFrost Citizen

Quote:
[OOC: ErianFrost, did this cover all that you wanted Kalos to discuss w Nero? If not, let me know and I will edit.]
[OOC: I also wanted to know if Nero planned to go on the trip to Nexus Under (if we end up making said trip) and if he needed combat armor.]

EDIT: OK, I added that bit to the discussion w Nero.

Last edited by SpaceBadger; January 13th, 2014 at 11:33 AM..
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen

I think we're ready for Heather to do her thing.
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am greatly desirous for more information, so fire away, please.
Do you have a security clearance? New 17 August Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Vladika:

Still waiting on your character sheet, and answers to a few questions:

1) What is your guy doing now, besides talking via laser comm to group on Fortunate Son? He seems to have skipped his scheduled meeting - did he make some excuse, or is he now in hiding?

2) Regarding his wanting to get off Nexus-Under/XII-H now, is he aware of someone out to get him, or just suspicious? Either way, does he know who is after him, or only suspect? Is he aborting his mission, or still trying to carry it off, or ???

3) What is your guy doing after comm from Heather ends? (You could put this in IC thread.)

I really need to know these things to GM your character, and I have been asking for several days, maybe longer. If answers are not public to other PCs, just PM me, but I do need answers.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; January 14th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: playing w fonts :)