Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Otto Harkaman Citizen
Default GDW Mayday using vassal module

Hi, well this is sort of a continuation from several threads about CT space combat and Missile supp3. As per Whip's suggestion I am focusing on learning vector movement and then combat in Mayday. I understand Whip's point that the best way to learn vector movement is perhaps hand drawing on hex paper or using grease pencils on a wipe away board with a hex grid. But I want to learn to use and play other people online so I need to master this vassal module anyways.

Warwizard showed me how easy it is to connect to the vassal server to play a game. So I hope some other people are interested and we could first start learning Mayday and then perhaps modify it to play more specific Traveller space combat.

The vassal module is available here at Mayday vassal module at Vassalengine.org

I made a raw attempt to take a spaceship from the far side of the moon and land on earth. Here is a wmv file that I recorded from my computer movie download 2.5mb It is in a windows format but Vassal being a java application can be played on the PC or Mac. I was thinking in turns of a lifeboat which has 1G maneuver and 5 units of fuel. I was finding it hard to keep track if I had advanced the turn counter because it is not automatic so I might have missed moving it forward after a move.

This Vassal module made by Mycenae is pretty ingenious where you end up able to just move the future position of the spaceship counter and the other present and past counters follow. Also you are able to use the line of sight tool to figure your vectors. Detailed information on how to use the module is available in its help menu.

You will have to install the Vassal software to use this module and maybe also the Java engine if its not already on your computer. Information is available from the home page of the Vassal engine Vassalengine.org home page

This module follows the rules of GDW "Mayday" so you will need these rules, which are available from FFE or I believe websites such as the Wargamevault.

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; February 3rd, 2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
RKFM Citizen

That vassal module looks interesting. But isn't there supposed to be three counters in play?

For example, I think you messed up that move near the end when you back tracked. You needed to extend the line of sight tool 3 hexes into the direction of the future position, then move it back one hex. Looks like you measured the distance to the present position, then moved 1 hex back instead.

Still, I've always like the simplicity of the Mayday vector movement system. The one in Brilliant Lances was nice since you didn't need 3 counters for every ship, but there was more record keeping.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

Yes you are probably right, I think I was thinking that I was braking at 1G and gravity of the planet would pull me another. I have to do a lot more practicing It would be nice if the module recorded your route with a line or something.

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; February 8th, 2012 at 10:35 PM..
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM

Gallery : 0
Gray Pennell Citizen

Interesting software I hope I can use it for my game.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Pennell View Post
Interesting software I hope I can use it for my game.
If you really get into vassal you can edit the games or create them.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM

Otto Harkaman Citizen
Default Setting up Attack Scenario

Well I thought I would start to set up a variation of a scenario in Mayday called Attack. I figured there were too many ships to handle right away so I decided on just one attack and defender. I've started to set up an intruder corsair and a defender destroyer.

There is still a lot of book keeping even with this supposed simple game!

Here is a zoomed out view of the possible start positions.

Old February 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

Looking closely at missiles in Mayday today, made me question the so called "standard" missile.

This missiles is listed as 6G6, limited acceleration, a homing guidance system and contact detonation. Reading closely thru the rules about the homing guidance system made this pop out:
Quote:
Except in the case of discretionary propulsion, the missile must accelerate at its maximum G each turn.
So there seems no benefit to a limited acceleration propulsion system because the missile has to accelerate to 6Gs at launch and has no fuel left to maneuver. Perhaps it would be better if the missile had more fuel or a lower G rate.

There is no ECM program that I could find in the Mayday rules which would cause missile guidance problems in CT, ie to explode the incoming missile.

I did see that sandcasters have some limited effect against missiles.

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; February 7th, 2012 at 07:08 PM..
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:50 AM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

Been editing the vassal module from Mycenae. I tried to make the turn indicator more informative, I was having a hard time remembering where I was at in a turn. So besides the turn counter I setup a phase indicator. I added movement trails so you can see where you had been. Updated the ship and missile property charts to better represent information I thought was important.

Click here to see larger picture showing details

After heavy modifying the module I started to play my Corsair vs Destroyer scenario. I used the simplified computer rules which doesn't use programming. I rolled randomly to see how many missiles each ship had. Here is a video up to about turn 5 when I realized I should have jumped out of observer mode and switched back and forth between RED and BLUE.

Mayday scenario Corsair vs Destroyer game play movie, warning 25mb download

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; February 8th, 2012 at 06:31 AM..
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

I think I understand now why you would want "Homing" as guidance because you launch the missile a turn before it moves. The missile tracks to the present position of the target which was where its future marker was the turn before. I suppose unless the target was stationary with the "Standard" missile you are going to want to hit on that movement turn after the launch turn.

But this is just one configuration of a missile, it could be wildly different with a different configuration. Other examples are given in Mayday:

A drifting mine (unpowered, unguided, contact, 0G0) cost cr100
An interceptor missile (guided, discretionary, intelligent, 6G12) cost cr8100
Defense missile (guided, limited, contact, 3G6) cost cr2700

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; February 8th, 2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Otto Harkaman Citizen

Been tweeking my ship's property charts. Right clicking on the present position counter of the ship brings up its attributes.

Click the missile ticks will lower the missile number. Clicking the different damage sections will indicate damage to that section.